Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 12/10/2013 6:34:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 6:35:37 AM EDT by Luchs]
Missed this one, somehow. I knew they had a ban on new construction a la California, but it looks like people who have existing ones will be banned from using them in 2020. That's going to work real well in the event of a longterm disaster.

How soon till that comes to blue states in the US?

Along with our old light bulbs and aerosol cans, culture practices near and dear to humans are going to have to change, if we're going to have any air worth breathing left. In China that means getting rid of inefficient old coal stoves, and in Montreal that means getting rid of wood-burning fireplaces.

Citing concerns for air quality and the health of its citizens, the largest city in the province of Quebec is poised to adopt a ban on fireplaces, effective at the end of 2020.

"Wood burning is a major source of fine particulate air pollution, meaning particles that penetrate into the lungs," Norman King, an epidemiologist at the Montreal Public Health Board told the CBC. "Studies have shown, when we extrapolate to the Montreal reality that close to 1,000 people per year die prematurely due to their chronic exposure to fine particulate air pollution," he said.

Fine particulates can get into the lungs and cause heart and respiratory problems, including asthma and lung cancer. The fine particulates of "black carbon" released by coal-burning stoves in China contribute to the horrendously smoggy days that have become somewhat of a national embarrassment. According to Montreal's CTV News, "a total of 41 of the 49 'bad-air days’ that the city of Montreal had in 2012 all happened during the winter, and the city of Montreal blames soot generated by stoves and fireplaces."

Montreal already had a ban on installing fireplaces in new construction, dating back to 2009, but about 50,000 homes in Montreal are still using wood-burning appliances. A provincial government program called "Feu vert" has offered $900 (Canadian) to replace them with natural gas or propane appliances, but the program ends this year, unless city officials get their way and it is extended.

Between the impending fireplace ban, and the grizzly bear's protected status that keeps it from being made into rugs, sexy French-Canadian fantasies are taking a real hit lately. Though to be fair, no one ever fantasizes about getting asthma.
View Quote

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/montreal-to-say-au-revoir-to-fireplaces
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:36:54 AM EDT
Not allowed on new construction in the Denver metro area. I am converting my gas fireplace back to wood. Boulder just had a gas outage to 7000 homes with the coldest temps in 10 years.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:50:30 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SS109:

Not allowed on new construction in the Denver metro area. I am converting my gas fireplace back to wood. Boulder just had a gas outage to 7000 homes with the coldest temps in 10 years.

View Quote
Yep.  Fireplace use during the winter in the Denver metro area has been severely restricted for years.  On high pollution days there are officers assigned to patrol for fireplace use and issue citations as necessary.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:53:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By aardvark_ratnick:
Yep.  Fireplace use during the winter in the Denver metro area has been severely restricted for years.  On high pollution days there are officers assigned to patrol for fireplace use and issue citations as necessary.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

WILL NOT COMPLY
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:54:55 AM EDT
Don't worry.  You will never get me willingly to enter Quebec.  Fuck that place.

I grew up in Western Canada.  Fuck the liberal East and their bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:03:44 AM EDT
Yep... this bullshit will eventually spread across the US. I'm waiting for this shit to hit my area since I'm surrounded by a bunch of liberal fuck sticks.

I WILL NOT COMPLY.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:07:22 AM EDT
I live in the woods, I heat with a fireplace
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:10:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

WILL NOT COMPLY
View All Quotes

WILL NOT COMPLY

No burn days come fairly often in winter, my boss who has a good wood insert and four cords of wood doesn't comply.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:13:05 AM EDT
View All Quotes

And we are to believe that these same officers simply will ignore orders to enforce "other" laws.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:35:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:45:46 AM EDT
I lived in Denver.  During the temp inversions, the brown cloud was amazingly disgusting.

I really don't have problems with crap like this in big cities.  

Millions of people crammed together is just nasty in so many ways.

I guess that's why I dont live in a big city.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:53:23 AM EDT
who the fuck is stupid enough to think about canada as an escape to begin with?

there's socialized medicine, high taxes, and of a shitload of non-white immigrants, many of them MUSLIM, who will of course rape then eat your women.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:35:45 AM EDT
Let them freeze in the dark.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:40:08 AM EDT
BustinCaps says "No".
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:42:56 AM EDT
Both today and tomorrow are No Burn Days in this county, last night it was 29 degrees.

Don't even think of burning coal within 100 miles of here in any direction.

No fireplaces or wood burning stoves allowed here in new construction.

Soon, they will require conversion of fireplaces to natural gas, likely before 2020.

And they will be telling us what a great day that is, and how something is wrong with you unless you agree.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:48:04 AM EDT
Sacrebleu
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:51:09 AM EDT

WILL NOT COMPLY
View All Quotes

WILL NOT COMPLY

Whatcha gonna do "COC Violation?"
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:51:26 AM EDT
Man, is there anything we are allowed to do...unfettered, untaxed, etc?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:53:38 AM EDT
That's in Quebec. They speak French. Fuck that. Bet the rest of Canada is saying "fuck no!"
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:54:05 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure most of PA would burn down the state before giving up fireplaces.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 11:03:16 AM EDT by ContrarianIndicator]
Alberta is where it's at.

Although their trading regulations are bullshit. You have to qualify as a "Accredited Investor" if you ever plan on managing your own portfolio.

That entails having a net worth of $5,000,0000, $1,000,0000 in financial assets and an annual income of $200k or $300k if married for more than 2 years. Then you must go through the rigorous process of registering.

This is to manage your own money, mind you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:55:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By quick2k3:
Man, is there anything we are allowed to do...unfettered, untaxed, etc?
View Quote

Perhaps people are beginning to understand the frustration that led to revolution.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:57:19 AM EDT
And in ten years, with the accelerated global warming, you won't even need a fireplace. Escape to Canada> checkmark in good column still.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:21:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
I lived in Denver.  During the temp inversions, the brown cloud was amazingly disgusting.
I really don't have problems with crap like this in big cities.  

Millions of people crammed together is just nasty in so many ways.

I guess that's why I dont live in a big city.

View Quote

There we go again, it is the cities causing all the problems.... man is meant to live in less crowded places, Read Dr. Skinner.... we are the same as rats in some ways
Top Top