Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/26/2003 4:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2003 10:14:11 AM EDT by crowboy]
The $400 Billion drug program (Which everyone knows will cost ten times as much when implemented) This law could not have passed without major caving in by House Republicans, especially disappointing were the House conservatives. Unlike the Senate we have the numbers in the House to prevent social giveaways like this. If they gave in on this pill program( just the latest giveaway) do you really believe they will go to the wall on the AWB, I dont.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:58:22 AM EDT
Yep!!! The Tweedely-dees, are trying to out-socialize the Tweedely-dums!!! [ROFL] So much for Principle!!! [snoopy]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:02:29 AM EDT
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream When I hold you in my arms (AR15) When I want you and all your charms (accessories) Whenever I want you, all I have to do is Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream This will be our reality one day if we don't fight for ours!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:10:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2003 5:41:41 AM EDT by Airwolf]
Votes. That’s all either party cares about when you get down to brass tacks. The Democrats know that “gun control” (really “people control”) is a losing issue. Many of them got their asses kicked out of office after pushing and voting for the AWB but you still have people with pathological personalities beating the drum. As long as Republicans know in their bones that they will LOSE votes if they turn tail and run on this issue, they’ll keep it on the back burner. In other words keep letting your elected representatives know that you have a LONG memory and will either reward those that support us, or make known in the strongest possible terms (to a politician that means loss of votes and money) your EXTREME displeasure if they make the wrong choice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:17:23 AM EDT
Unless it [AWB] dies in committee, it’s a done deal. The huge pill giveaway was done to assure Bush a second term. The geezers vote. In my opinion it’s a great waste of money that the Demoncrats will still get credit for. Look at the Black vote. The Republicans were responsible for the 1964 Equal Rights Amendment but the Blacks still think the Demoncrats got it for them. Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:17:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:43:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: The Ban is history. No one next year will be pushing Gun Control. And the House GOP has staked their continued majority status upon that promise. Ask Tom 'The Hammer' DeLay {R-TX} the Majority Whip. Eric The(Concise)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
No flame here [b]ETH[/b], but I disagree with your logic. Ted Kennedy promised us that the new Medicare Prescription Drug plan would never see the light of day in the senate (and it passed). Sounds like the same thing that DeLay has said about renewing the AWB. IMHO, Ted Kennedy, fvckhead that he is, is still more powerfull than DeLay ever thought about being... just my .02, nothing more...but this has really got me worried now. Please, somebody prove me wrong![:(]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:48:08 AM EDT
For Republicans, the extension/renewal of the ban, will be an admission that Bill Clinton was correct in his thoughts about gun control, and that their objections in '94 were merely partisan politics. In dealing with the politicians, I suspect that this angle will be more powerfull than any 'constitutional' argument.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:21:57 AM EDT
The nice thing is, no one is pushing a simple renewal of the existing ban. All the gun control bills out now (the congressional session was up on the 21st, I think) are head and shoulders worse than the current AWB. I thank the dumbass Democrats who decided to push a stiffer bill- we would've had a much tougher fight (and will, if it's reintroduced next year) if it was a "simple, reasonable" renewal. The Dems have shot them selves in the foot by pushing what they are now- and I, for one, hope they continue it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:23:19 AM EDT
it will die in committe
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:25:52 AM EDT
Agree with ETH: It's as dead as the Kennedys. Jay
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:34:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: The Ban is history. No one next year will be pushing Gun Control. And the House GOP has staked their continued majority status upon that promise. Ask Tom 'The Hammer' DeLay {R-TX} the Majority Whip. Eric The(Concise)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
No flame here [b]ETH[/b], but I disagree with your logic. Ted Kennedy promised us that the new Medicare Prescription Drug plan would never see the light of day in the senate (and it passed). Sounds like the same thing that DeLay has said about renewing the AWB. IMHO, Ted Kennedy, fvckhead that he is, is still more powerfull than DeLay ever thought about being... just my .02, nothing more...but this has really got me worried now. Please, somebody prove me wrong![:(]
View Quote
There is a difference between the minority party saying something isnt going to happen and the majority party saying it won't happen. The majority party has the power to prevent it..
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:23:44 AM EDT
So what will happen to the newer AWB or an extension if we have another major terrorist attack? Will that make our goberment extend it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:27:45 AM EDT
the first attack sent hoards of people to the gun stores to purchase protection, and there was a lot of people getting interested in so called assault weapons, another attack would probably help the public to even more see the need of a fine homeland defense rifle, and the need to let their congress critters know that they want their rights intact
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:44:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By avengeusa: the first attack sent hoards of people to the gun stores to purchase protection, and there was a lot of people getting interested in so called assault weapons, another attack would probably help the public to even more see the need of a fine homeland defense rifle, and the need to let their congress critters know that they want their rights intact
View Quote
I have contacted my congress people and the pres about 15 times already. I just keeping saying I would like to let them know my opinion. They don't seem to get that I am the same person that called 2 to 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:50:10 AM EDT
keep calling
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:57:11 AM EDT
400 Billion, not million. BILLION
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:17:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By iamblades: There is a difference between the minority party saying something isnt going to happen and the majority party saying it won't happen. The majority party has the power to prevent it..
View Quote
OK, I'm feeling a little better now[:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:21:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2003 9:23:22 AM EDT by NYPatriot]
At the risk of appearing redundant... [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989]The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread[/url] This is our fight to lose folks... let's not blow it!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:18:46 AM EDT
View Quote
Its my understanding that the Medicare bill only made thru the House after "The Hammer" DeLay twisted arms in favor of the givaway. It was not that long ago that House GOP members staked their futures on small Government too...
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:26:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery: 400 Billion, not million. BILLION
View Quote
I stand corrected :-)
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:40:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By glklvr: The nice thing is, no one is pushing a simple renewal of the existing ban. All the gun control bills out now (the congressional session was up on the 21st, I think) are head and shoulders worse than the current AWB. I thank the dumbass Democrats who decided to push a stiffer bill- we would've had a much tougher fight (and will, if it's reintroduced next year) if it was a "simple, reasonable" renewal. The Dems have shot them selves in the foot by pushing what they are now- and I, for one, hope they continue it.
View Quote
Is it possible for them to change any of the proposed bills to make it look more like the current ban before it comes to a vote? Or do they pretty much have to keep them original? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:43:50 AM EDT
they COULD do whatever they want, but it will not happen, the gun issue is political suicide for all who touch it
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:28:11 AM EDT
Think back to when it was first enacted. The story I heard(Too young then) is that even during those political times the bill was split 50/50 and it took a sunset clause to even get the few extra votes to get it too finally pass. I personally don't see how another will pass. There's only a FEW that want to even 10 feet from that wagon during this political climate. It will die, it has too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:29:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tac45: Is it possible for them to change any of the proposed bills to make it look more like the current ban before it comes to a vote? Or do they pretty much have to keep them original? Thanks.
View Quote
I'm 99% sure that any bill has to go through its respective commitee first, then go to the floor for debate and vote. If the commitee were to pass a stiff gun control bill, and then Dems wanted to change it, it would probably have to go back through the commitee for re-approval. All in all, it's pretty hard to get a bill passed without the majority in Congress and the President approving of the bill. House bill- House commitee- House floor- House vote Senate bill- Senate commitee- Senate floor- Senate vote If the bills aren't identical, they go to a commitee to hammer out the differences, then the amended bills go BACK to the respective houses for another up or down vote. Then off to the Pres. My only worry is that someone will stick on a rider to the bill that the Republican really, really want.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:31:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MillerSHO: Think back to when it was first enacted. The story I heard(Too young then) is that even during those political times the bill was split 50/50 and it took a sunset clause to even get the few extra votes to get it too finally pass.
View Quote
The Senate split 50-50 (or 49-49?) and Al Gore (president of the Senate) cast the tiebreaking vote.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:50:28 AM EDT
I would fight this bill like were going to lose, by not giving up, by fighting like we do not like to lose. then we will win. but sitting back, and just thinking it will just die and go away is plain crazy. If we do lose this. the chance for us keeping or getting another ar or any simi-auto would be impossible there talking about banning the manufacture of all simi-auto's that resemble's military style(anything black).
Top Top