Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 6:10:56 PM EDT
Border Patrol Agent James Epling ,24, apparently fell into the Colorado River during an apprehension of several illegal aliens Tuesday evening. No sign of him has been found since...we still hold hope, but time is dragging on.

James is the father of three and his wife is 8 months pregnant with his 4th.

yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_8746.shtml
www.azfamily.com/news/local/KTVKLNews20031218.b478c60c.html

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In bound.  Keep us updated.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm hitting my knees then I'm hitting the rack.  I hope the Lord holds his family tight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayers sent.  I hope it turns out good and they find him well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_8781.shtml[/url]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20754[/img]
[USA]

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
[USA]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
GodSpeed and Prayers to your loved ones
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Debated on bringing this news, but here it is.  This breaks my heart.  Then to pride for what he was doing.  Then rage against the illegals!!  Stay in your own fucking country!!

Updated: 12:47 PM EST
Body of Missing Border Agent Found in Arizona
Autopsy Was Conducted Today

PHOENIX (Dec. 20) - The body of a missing Border Patrol agent has been found in the Colorado River near the spot where he had rescued a suspected illegal immigrant from the water.

The FBI was investigating the death of James Epling, said Jerome Wofford, a field operations supervisor for the Border Patrol's Yuma sector.

''They've been involved the entire time because of the circumstances involved in his disappearance,'' Wofford said.

An autopsy was conducted Saturday by the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's office, said Joe Brigman, a spokesman for the Yuma sector.

Epling, 24, was last seen Tuesday chasing four suspected illegal immigrants along a river trail just north of the Mexico border near Yuma. Moments earlier, he had pulled one of the immigrants, a Chinese woman, from the river.

His body was found Friday within 200 yards of where he was last seen, in water about 27 feet deep, said Joe Brigman, a spokesman for the sector. Divers had to use sonar in their search for Epling in the turbulent, cloudy water.

''The area was actually the most treacherous of all the areas we searched,'' Brigman said.

Epling was the father of three, and his wife is expecting another child early next year.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
[V]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
great...so from what that says he saved an illegal from the water and then somehow fell in...I am sure the illegal did everything he could to help him.

this just keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
[usa]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#14]
This type of incident always suck's, prayers sent!

c in TX
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
That's some raggedy shit. I don't begrudge the Chinese woman that she was saved but it does seem like a lousy trade.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
[USA]
Art in KY
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Well...crap.

[USA]

Prayers sent for his family and collegues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Im a cop so dont take this the wrong way.

For a widowed mother of 3, soon to be 4, she has her work cut out for her.

If she has to be a widow, at least the 500,000 she will get for her spouse being killed in the line of duty will help.

Not many people know it but the family of any law enforcement officer that dies in the line of duty receives half a million dollars from the federal government.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If she has to be a widow, at least the 500,000 she will get for her spouse being killed in the line of duty will help.

Not many people know it but the family of any law enforcement officer that dies in the line of duty receives half a million dollars from the federal government.
View Quote

WTF?

I am sure that his wife and kids feel that no amount of $$ is worth trading for his life.

And where do you get your 1/2 million amount from, are you talking about his life insurance? There are different levels starting at 1 time his base pay, which would double if killed on duty.

Rest in Peace Agent Epling.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#20]
The Public Safety Officer Death Benefit was set at $100,000 in 1988 and adjusted by the CPI annually.  It is currently about $150,000.

Definitely not a good trade.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF?

I am sure that his wife and kids feel that no amount of $$ is worth trading for his life.

And where do you get your 1/2 million amount from, are you talking about his life insurance? There are different levels starting at 1 time his base pay, which would double if killed on duty.

Rest in Peace Agent Epling.
View Quote

16.571  Public Safety Officers' Benefits Program

FEDERAL AGENCY:

OFFICE OF JUSTICE PROGRAMS, BUREAU OF JUSTICE ASSISTANCE, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

AUTHORIZATION:

Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 3796.

OBJECTIVES:

To provide a $262,000 death benefit to the eligible survivors of Federal, State or local public safety officers whose death is the direct and proximate result of a personal (traumatic) injury sustained in the line of duty. Effective November 29, 1990, the Act also provides the same benefit to a public safety officer who has been permanently and totally disabled as the direct result of a catastrophic personal injury sustained in the line of duty. The injury must permanently prevent the officer from performing any gainful work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#22]
The info posted above by AZ-K9 is correct. But there are other programs which contribute. I know this is true because of an article written about an LEO that died in our area recently.

Also, why did I know that someone would make a "WTF" comment?

Did you not read the first line of my post?

I'm not talking about the loss of their dad/husband. I'm talking about the cold hard fact that she has a family to take care of and thank god that there are programs in place to help her stay on her feet. They lost their dad/husband, it would be a greater tragedy for them to also lose their house and end up filing for bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Marine,
I caught your drift...

The $$ isn't a replacement for her loss.  It's to help her continue based on her loss.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
What a sad incident.  Prayers from our family to his.

I agree with DJSSniper...sounds like a bunch of bull shit, just fell in the river??  Just like that ???

By the photo, this Officer looks like he could handle his own, including swimming.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What a sad incident.  Prayers from our family to his.

I agree with DJSSniper...sounds like a bunch of bull shit, just fell in the river??  Just like that ???

By the photo, this Officer looks like he could handle his own, including swimming.
View Quote

When discovered, he was still holding his flashlight (button turned on, but batteries drained) and was still wearing his ballcap.

Funeral was yesterday. The procession contained HUNDREDS of vehicles, mostly BP but I saw several from Somerton, Yuma, San Luis, Wellton, Pheonix, Glendale PD's, AZDPS, CHP, Park Rangers, BLM, etc. Pretty moving sight, all those vehicles lined up with overheads lit up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top