Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:10:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 10:11:23 AM EDT by motown_steve]
...what was the most memorable moment for you?

For me, it was an interview with an Air Force Tech Sergent on a C-130 headed for Baghdad International Airport. The US had just secured the Airport maybe a day before, and Fox news had a guy on a C-130 that was headed into BIA with bunch or equiptment and support staff. This Air Force Tech Sergent was sitting right next to the reporter holding an M4. The guy was maybe 35 and obviously scared to death. It seemed to me like this guy had just been handed a rifle and was told "You're going in". It was very different from all of the other interviews that were done with troops heading into battle who seemed calm and collected. I felt for this guy. He was going into a situation where he had no idea what to expect, and I'm sure that he was wondering if he'd be coming back. Every time the reporter asked him a question he'd either give a yes or no answer, and sometimes he just shook his head. I'm not sure why that stuck with me, but it did.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
1. Listening to the embedded reporter with 3-7 cav commentate while the Brad in front of him was engageing targets on thier run up to Bagdahd. I listed to him for most of the march up, and, it was interesting to hear him go from "Objective journalist" to pretty much part of the green team. At the end he was practically waving pom-poms.

2. Listending to the radio when the statue of Sadam was pulled over. There was a reporter
with a Marine unit, and, he broke down crying twice while describing 18-21 y/o Marines holding fire on civilian targets that the opposition were using for cover. He interviewed a 19 y/o LCPL that was on that team, and, the guy just said; "We don't shoot civilians, sir. My job is to get the job done and, get my Marines back home alive."
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:24:16 AM EDT
Oh yeah, I also remember watching Fox News during the initial invasion when Geraldo was embeded with the 101st ( I think it was the 101st). Anyways, they were on their way to go take a town in literally just a few minutes. Jerry (who must have been in the briefing) starts telling the whole battle plan on the news, and was even drawing maps on the ground showing which directions they would be attacking from. I remember thinking "Geez, I hope the Iraqis aren't watching this!".

The next morning I heard on the radio that Geraldo had been put on a plane and wasn't being allowed back into the country for the rest of the war. I think they did let him back in though, after Bush declared victory.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:26:31 AM EDT
"The first war plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another war plan... Clearly, the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces."
~ Peter Arnett,
March 31, 2003 interviewed on state-run Iraqi TV... nine days before US took Baghdad.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:27:17 AM EDT
A scene where a squad of Marines was engaged with some tangos and some officer yelling for a Marine to put his "fucking brain bucket back on". It was live and uncensored.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 10:38:40 AM EDT by KlubMarcus]
Zer are no American tankz in Baghdad, NEEEVEEEER!

And on the split screen you see tankers chilling out at one of Saddumb's palaces.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:10:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 3:33:50 PM EDT by photoman]
Wounded Marine Soldier on a strecher blasting off shots from a 12ga at an iraqi who was playing opposum.

Edited for correctness thanks Echo_Hotel
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:17:24 AM EDT
"Ladies and gentlemen...we got him."
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:20:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:36:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 11:46:44 AM EDT by Echo_Hotel]

Originally Posted By photoman:
Wounded Marine on a strecher blasting off shots from a 12ga at an iraqi who was playing opposum.

That was a troop from that Army's 3rd I.D., not a Marine.

ETA: The troop's name is Christopher Nauman. Second paragraph HERE gives details.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:32:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Echo_Hotel:

Originally Posted By photoman:
Wounded Marine on a strecher blasting off shots from a 12ga at an iraqi who was playing opposum.

That was a troop from that Army's 3rd I.D., not a Marine.

ETA: The troop's name is Christopher Nauman. Second paragraph HERE gives details.

Damn thanks for the correction and the info I often wondered who that was.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:23:05 PM EDT
The video of theTango kneeling in the street with and RPG and getting owned by the Marine with the M-249
Top Top