Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:45:09 AM EDT
I love drinking plain soda water.  If I can get it on sale, it runs about $1/2 liters.  I looked into the cost of the soda stream, and due to the cost of their cartridges, it ends up being more expensive than just buying 2 liter bottles of club soda.  But I hate actually going to the store and lugging them around.  I have a keg system from homebrewing, and a CO2 setup and whatnot, but didn't see any effective way to carbonate soda water outside of kegging it and running it through the kegerator.  Then I found this!

It's a cap that threads onto soda bottles with a ball-lock connector.  You can use your 5/10/15lb CO2 cylinder to charge bottles.  Additionally, you can carbonate whatever you want, apple juice, gin, simple syrup, whatever strikes your fancy!

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty neat!  I occasionally get bored and play around with home brewed root beer and birch beer.  The worst problems I have are with carbonation, though that's mainly because I use champagne yeast to do it. I'd considered the soda stream kit but find the cost a bit much for my uses.  That gadget right there might about do it, and it'd allow me to get into larger formats like small kegs.  

There's few things worse than forgetting a 2 liter bottle on top of the fridge for a few days and BOOOOOOOOM.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty neat!  I occasionally get bored and play around with home brewed root beer and birch beer.  The worst problems I have are with carbonation, though that's mainly because I use champagne yeast to do it. I'd considered the soda stream kit but find the cost a bit much for my uses.  That gadget right there might about do it, and it'd allow me to get into larger formats like small kegs.  

There's few things worse than forgetting a 2 liter bottle on top of the fridge for a few days and BOOOOOOOOM.  
View Quote

I am excited to throw together a bottle of ginger beer without monkeying around with yeast!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The plastic ones wear out pretty quick, I've gone through several at about $16 a pop.

There is a stainless steel version, but it is hard to find.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The plastic ones wear out pretty quick, I've gone through several at about $16 a pop.

There is a stainless steel version, but it is hard to find.

View Quote

I wasn't entirely sure how much I'll end up using it, so I figured I'd try the plastic one to begin with.

Here's a link to the stainless one on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008071H8O//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=serieats-20
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to go tier 1, force carb in a corney keg, then use a counter pressure bottle filler to bottle the soda.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep.
One of those and a bunch of True Lemon flavor packets and you have some great tasting carbonated flavored water without all the crappy chemicals!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want to go tier 1, force carb in a corney keg, then use a counter pressure bottle filler to bottle the soda.
View Quote

I have all of the pertinent equipment, I just HATE cleaning cornelius kegs.  I don't necessarily see that there would be an appreciable difference in the final product with a corny keg vs 2 liter soda bottle?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep.One of those and a bunch of True Lemon flavor packets and you have some great tasting carbonated flavored water without all the crappy chemicals!!!
View Quote

Mmmm, fizzy arnold palmer!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have all of the pertinent equipment, I just HATE cleaning cornelius kegs.  I don't necessarily see that there would be an appreciable difference in the final product with a corny keg vs 2 liter soda bottle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

besides - all my corny kegs are full of homebrew.....

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I love it. I drink enough to just use my 5 gal corny kegs. Also have a Carbonator, it works too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love it. I drink enough to just use my 5 gal corny kegs. Also have a Carbonator, it works too.
View Quote

For some reason, my cornelius kegs all have a metallic odor to them which seems to translate to the water in them.

That and my lines desperately need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a Sodastream as a gift, and for carbonated water it is hard to beat. Takes only seconds, and the carbonation is SERIOUS. One of their bottles of gas is supposed to be good for about 50 bottles of drink or water if I recall correctly, and I've probably done about half that so far with no signs of weakening.

For the OP's gadget, where do you get the CO2? I don't have tanks of that stuff just sitting around ... And how do you avoid over-pressurization (aka explosions)?

Oh, and I saw a Sodastream knockoff at Tuesday Morning awhile back for something like $39. Hard to beat that price.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got a Sodastream as a gift, and for carbonated water it is hard to beat. Takes only seconds, and the carbonation is SERIOUS. One of their bottles of gas is supposed to be good for about 50 bottles of drink or water if I recall correctly, and I've probably done about half that so far with no signs of weakening.

For the OP's gadget, where do you get the CO2? I don't have tanks of that stuff just sitting around ... And how do you avoid over-pressurization (aka explosions)?

Oh, and I saw a Sodastream knockoff at Tuesday Morning awhile back for something like $39. Hard to beat that price.
View Quote

As noted in the OP, if you have a homebrewing keg setup, you already have a CO2 cylinder and a regulator for dispensing the beer.  This just uses that setup for the bottles.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As noted in the OP, if you have a homebrewing keg setup, you already have a CO2 cylinder and a regulator for dispensing the beer.  This just uses that setup for the bottles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

The homebrew kegerator setup has a CO2 bottle and regulator:

You just pop off the corny keg gas line and connect it to the bottle "Carbonator":

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love drinking plain soda water.  If I can get it on sale, it runs about $1/2 liters.  I looked into the cost of the soda stream, and due to the cost of their cartridges, it ends up being more expensive than just buying 2 liter bottles of club soda.
View Quote

I'm not sure how you're mathing this.

I cartridge = 60 liters and replacement with turn in of the old one is $15, so that's 25 cents a liter.

I didn't count precisely, but we got really close to 60 liters pressurizing to "4 farts."

We then toss in a tsp of lemon or orange extract and it's gtg.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice.  I've started making my own tonic and was looking for something like this.  Wish it was pin lock, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I cartridge = 60 liters and replacement with turn in of the old one is $15, so that's 25 cents a liter.

I didn't count precisely, but we got really close to 60 liters pressurizing to "4 farts."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love drinking plain soda water.  If I can get it on sale, it runs about $1/2 liters.  I looked into the cost of the soda stream, and due to the cost of their cartridges, it ends up being more expensive than just buying 2 liter bottles of club soda.

Ah,
I must have just done the math on how much time it takes to make the investment pay off.  I think I worked it out to well over a year, plus the hassle of finding a place to return bottles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top