Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:51:25 AM EDT
NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 12, No. 36 9/09/05

NRA-ILA COMMENTS ON SITUATION IN NEW ORLEANS

Numerous media sources are reporting on a campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others--the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal.  And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe.  Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones.  This is especially true when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help.  At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux.  But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly.  In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

If you're not a member you damned sure should be
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They sure as shit better do something about this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, stop or they shall issue another press release.......
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It just sounds like this:

"LA law does grant certain rights to JBT's during times of crises, BUT ANYWAY, we are saying what we've been saying all along, which is that we're going to 'keep an eye on people' and see how the events unfold...forward and onward preaching to the choir."

How does this further persuade someone to join the NRA?  How does this change anything?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How does this further persuade someone to join the NRA?  How does this change anything?

Political influence and legal resources, the NRA can and does flex it's muscle.   Do you really think that the AWB would have expired without the NRA?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Political influence and legal resources, the NRA can and does flex it's muscle.   Do you really think that the AWB would have expired without the NRA?

Alright I'll give you that.  It seemed like you were trying to say that somehow this press release should be sufficient to persuade someone to sign up.  Yeah there will be investigations most likely, and more rhetoric to be certain; I just want to see results, i.e. people brought to justice, and only time will tell if they will accomplish that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Am a member.

Am distraught by the NRAs flacid response.  I said "give them time" yesterday, but this response is weak.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The response is probably a hasty press release to let the membership know they are aware of what's going on and are looking into what they can do.   I imagine alot of members were wondering if the NRA noticed what was going on or would just let it pass.   Apparently they took note.   We will see what gets done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Not much they can do at this point if what the mayor/govnr did is legal by state law which seems to be the general opinion of TV " legal experts ".

Like it or not the people losing their guns ( having them confiscated) by open carrying in violation of the mayors edict or not hiding them out of sight probably voted the clowns in .
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, as the sunset clause was written into the law for it to pass.
If the NRA had been on top of it's game we wouldn't have had it in the first place.

1994 was an election year, that is the reason that the 94 AWB was not renewed.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#10]
THe NRA could have rolled into NO and passed out pistols.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Without the NRA there would be so many more Anti-gun assholes in high places. They get pro-gun people in office. We would not have a 2nd amendment now with out them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the NRA had been on top of it's game we wouldn't have had it in the first place.

The NRA is the reason there was a sunset clause in the law. The grass roots campaign the NRA fought to change congress after the passing of the AWB is also the reason that lawmakers were afraid to vote for renewal in an election year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, stop or they shall issue another press release.......

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NRA is the reason there was a sunset clause in the law. The grass roots campaign the NRA fought to change congress after the passing of the AWB is also the reason that lawmakers were afraid to vote for renewal in an election year.

Possibly,
However gun contol is a taboo issue right now, and that has nothing
to do with the NRA.  They are usless as a lobbying orginization.

These are the same collective bunch of shitbags (TheNRA) that idolize a tratorist
bastard like Bill Ruger.  They will get no money from me.  Mine will go to  GOA or others
like them that actually do something other than compromise.  

There is no fear in Washington of the NRA.
To the powers that be they are just a joke.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll have to disagree with your assessment of the NRA's influence.   If not the NRA then at least be a member of some organization that does more than just whine.   GOA or whoever, I guess it doesnt really matter if they get something done.    
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Liberal politicians fear and loathe the NRA. I have seen it first hand at various seminars etc. Once, years ago, I was at a Dept. of Commerce convention when one of the presenters actually compared the NRA to the KKK. Things would be much worse without the NRA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top