Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 11:40:49 AM EDT
After 3 pages of debate in this thread:

Anyone ever heard of a pepperoni roll???

I surfed the interwebs for more information and found a recipe which capture this foodstuff in all it's glory.

Hot from the oven!

Served up on the plate!

All it's pepperoni goodness!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
looks pretty good.  You have all the required stuff so I will give you a 8 out of 10.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Look's good! Wheres the TUMS?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I like a side of pizza sauce to dip mine in !!  It still gets a 10 though cuz I am from WV and it brings back good memories of home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my favorite things when I visit my uncle in Beckley is visiting one of the local grocery stores or delis for some Pepperoni Rolls.  I have found them every now and then at Frys here in Arizona - they are the western US brand for Krogers so I guess institutional knowledge has begun to spread a bit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]

sorry but that's not a real italian pepperoni roll,  looks good though.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They sell them at most of the "minit marts" around here.  I have scarffed down a few at 3  in the morning on my way home in a cab.  Not bad, but not that good either.  Too much bread and not enough pizza stuff.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
so it's like a ghetto calzone?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks good...I'm gonna give them a try.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good. You make them yourself?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This I know sir, in the linked thread there was much debate on my part concerning this.  These are as described by our toofless WV brethren.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]

I buy frozen bread dough and make my own also.  I put banana peppers and pepporoni in mine.  I am also from West Virginia.  When my sister comes back to the mother state,  she always goes to local pizza places to get a pizza bread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks good. You make them yourself?

Yes sir!  Your favorite whitebread recipe, roll en up with pepperoni inside, brush with eggwash, bake to GB&D, just that simple.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
pepperoni rolls are da bomb!!!!

I love them.

brought a couple bags of em back when we were up there for christmas.

we make em every once and a while,  but ya just can't seem to beat the ones from the little mom and pop grocery's up there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I buy frozen bread dough and make my own also.  I put banana peppers and pepporoni in mine.  I am also from West Virginia.  When my sister comes back to the mother state,  she always goes to local pizza places to get a pizza bread.

oh yeah, they are great sliced open with some oliverios hot peppers in em!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in the heart of "pepperoni roll" country and yes, they are quite popular. You can buy them pretty much anywhere food is sold.
The standard "American Pepperoni Roll" is the most popular...bread around a short quartered stick of pepperoni...no cheese, no sauce.
For those that have never tried them, and wish too, my recipe is REAL easy:
Take standard roll dough (in the refridge section of the grocery store with the cookie dough, screw that making your own dough crap) wrap it around a quarterd short stick of pepperoni. Bake like regular rolls. EASY!
Follow up in an hour or so with antacid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I at least need cheese in my pepperoni rolls but prefer sauce and cheese.  Pepper Jack or Mozzarella.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This I know sir, in the linked thread there was much debate on my part concerning this.  These are as described by our toofless WV brethren.

I was the person that started that thread in the GD, looks like I created a monster.

Oh, I'm in WV and I have all my toofs thank you!

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so it's like a ghetto calzone? hot pocket.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
14 yrs in Morgantown, yeah I know "the Roll"

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

skink

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#21]
i never had a P-ROLL (thats what they are known to me now) untill i moved to wv . I like to put a roll or two in my hunting vest during hunting season . also in a month or two when the ramps come up i will have the better half make me a batch with ramps in them
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Teeth or no teeth, it's an underground miner thing.  WV got a lot of Italian immigrants who worked in the mines in the late 1800s, early 1900s.  The US .mil started using a p-roll MRE just a few years ago.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#24]
So is this like pizza bread?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Kinda.  More like a small, Stomboli-shaped Calzone.

Evidently the West Virginia mountain folk are laying claim to creating what folks in Italy have been eating for centuries.

Sorry guys, but a Calzone by any other name is still a Calzone.  Hell, even the Stromboli and Panzarotti know where they came from...

...and it aint West Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was the person that started that thread in the GD, looks like I created a monster.

Oh, I'm in WV and I have all my toofs thank you!

And the debate still rages on... I get it now, I'm clear as to the content and construction of these WV creations.  Everyone is trying to label these as something they are not, NOT a Calzone, NOT a Stromboli.  It's a PEPPERONI ROLL... as in a roll with pepperoni inside, just that simple.

I think my attempt turned out pretty good, although never having tried one before. I got the recipe off of the internet with credit going to Fairmont, WV.  They are at their best when hot!

And we'll need to see dental records please!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted: Everyone is trying to label these as something they are not, NOT a Calzone, NOT a Stromboli.  It's a PEPPERONI ROLL... as in a roll with pepperoni inside, just that simple.

Bossman, both the Calzone and Stromboli can be made with nothing but pepperoni inside (heresey, but possible).  The difference is the shape of the bread, that's all.  IOW: a "Pepperoni Roll" is nothing more than (and I say this with love in my heart, as I miss the Appalachians) a hilbilly Calzone.

I really thought you guys were joking in the other thread when the statement was made that chunks/slices/strips of a spiced Italian sausage wrapped in dough was "invented" in WV.  While I now see that y'all are serious, you are also seriously mistaken.

*Steps slowly for the barroom exit before the chairs start flying*

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It looks sort of like a Czech kolache.

+1, but people can make chilli out of bananas on arfcom too
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#29]
There are no winners in the great Calzone/Stromboli debate. Here in my heavily colonized by Italian immigrants town, Calzone is cheese and meat. Stromboli is cheese, meat, and sauce. Pepperoni bread ( OH YEAH!) is bread dough, baked with pepperoni in the middle. I've been to places in CA where a "Stromboli" is a pizza, folded in half (WTF?).... guess it all depends on where you live. Pepperoni bread is a gift from the hillbilly gods. Stromboli/Calzone argument is almost the same as the beans/no-beans debate. Here it is Chili, or Meat Sauce for your hot dogs. Everything is regional. I think somebody should write to our dear leader, his most holyness, the messiah B. Hussien Obama, and ask for his guidance and final ruling on what is or isn't the proper label for the before mentioned foods.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#30]
How about a link to the recipe?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Go here for my recipe for making 'em

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=342974&page=1
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd hit it..err...eat it... 8/10
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Add banana peppers..
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Reminds me of this place in WVA, called Pascos Pizza, MMMMMMM.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Mmmmm Dairy Mart at 4:30 AM.

If you're lucky you'll get a Pepperoni Roll,
If not, ham & cheese.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Ahem....

That's "paisans".

Say...that looks suspiciously like...CHEDDAR CHEESE????? Where's the moozadell?

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Where is the red gravy for dipping?
Fail for the orange cheese looking stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Theres no cheese in the ones I posted, thats pepperoni grease, thanks.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How about a link to the recipe?

Pepperoni Rolls
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted: Everyone is trying to label these as something they are not, NOT a Calzone, NOT a Stromboli.  It's a PEPPERONI ROLL... as in a roll with pepperoni inside, just that simple.

Bossman, both the Calzone and Stromboli can be made with nothing but pepperoni inside (heresey, but possible).  The difference is the shape of the bread, that's all.  IOW: a "Pepperoni Roll" is nothing more than (and I say this with love in my heart, as I miss the Appalachians) a hilbilly Calzone.

I really thought you guys were joking in the other thread when the statement was made that chunks/slices/strips of a spiced Italian sausage wrapped in dough was "invented" in WV.  While I now see that y'all are serious, you are also seriously mistaken.

*Steps slowly for the barroom exit before the chairs start flying*

Sir we're in agreement with much of what you say.  I think that the difference with these is the bread in which they are wrapped.  Most of the recipes dealing with the WV Pepperoni Rolls, call for a "whitebread" style dough. I make my own pizza dough and I would never use, milk or sugar and omit olive oil.  So as a nod to WV, I'll give them their unique style Pepperoni Roll.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]

A real pepperoni roll!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top