Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:39:38 AM EDT by Rino451]
What can one put in a gas can that would trash someone's engine?

Background: Coworker has some ragamuffin kids in his neighborhood who keep stealing gas from his gas cans while he is at work. Confronting them and their parents hasn't helped. Gas is probably going into a 4 wheeler because he's had issues with them tearing up his yard with them. (I told him tire spikes in the grass would take care of the 4 wheeler issue but he didn't like the liability.)

My ideas so far are 70% water 30% gas, racefuel like nitromethane, diesel, JetA? I'm not sure what the last three would do.

BB's would be excelent as it only takes a couple but it won't work through the gas tank.

Thanks!

Randall
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:28:06 AM EDT
tag!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:28:07 AM EDT
For some reason the first thing that came to my mind as a potential engine-fucker-upper is E-Z Cheeze.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:29:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:36:54 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
IBTL
read the COC

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

ETA Okay, maybe not. but you all have quoted me so much I can't edit the post.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:31:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
IBTL
read the COC

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT

IBTL
read the COC

Read the first post again, there's nothing illegal about spiking your own gas cans. If someone wants to steal something from you that messes up their toys then that's their problem. I'd go with sugar or water in a can you won't be using, that'll learn the bastards.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:12 AM EDT
There is still liability involved.There was a farmer here that put 1/2 kerosene,1/2 gas in a can (that some shitheads kept taking),and left it in the same spot.The scumbags stole it,engine was ruined,and he had to pay to friggin' replace the motor!!

Be careful.The laws of this country no longer protect the innocent.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:32 AM EDT
The little bastards are stealing gas? Your friend leaves gas cans outside? How big is the gas can? throw a couple of quarts of heavy motor oil sae 50 or 70 in the can shake well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:38 AM EDT

IBTL
read the COC

He aint talking about anything illegal. Putting something in your gas cans, that you know would do damage to someone's engine, who is stealing your gas, cant possibly be illegal. Now - if you knew they were gonna steal it, and you put something in there that put them at risk (explosive, etc) thats a different story.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:52 AM EDT

IBTL
read the COC

How is "Mixing" your own gas a violation of the COC??

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Chimpy:

IBTL
read the COC

Beat me to it.

i really don't think asking for some relatively harmless way of teaching kids not to steay [your gass] really falls under that.

that's just my .02.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:34:04 AM EDT
Speaking from a purley hypothetical point of view, sugar has always been good for bringing and engine to a grinding halt...hypothetically speaking that is.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:35:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By carguym14:
There is still liability involved.There was a farmer here that put 1/2 kerosene,1/2 gas in a can (that some shitheads kept taking),and left it in the same spot.The scumbags stole it,engine was ruined,and he had to pay to friggin' replace the motor!!

I'd like to see the facts on that case. I find it hard to believe that any court awarded damages to a guy who was stealing fuel and then his engine died because of what he was stealing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:35:16 AM EDT
I can't believe that no one has suggested sugar yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:38:25 AM EDT by 1BMF]
He's not violating the CoC.

These kids are stealing whatever he keeps in his gas tanks. Because of it getting stolen, he'd like to find new liquids to store in them for safe keeping. He's not sabataging someones car, he's simply decided to store different chemicals where he used to keep his gas.

This is in no way connected with it being stolen and used by theives

ETA: Just mix some bleach in with the gas, wont see it and probably wont smell it over the gas smell. Or sand/sugar but remove the filter screen on the can.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:35:59 AM EDT
Try mixing oil and gas, like you would for a weedwacker or something?

Sugarwater mixed with the gas would definitily work as well..

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:36:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Originally Posted By carguym14:

I'd like to see the facts on that case. I find it hard to believe that any court awarded damages to a guy who was stealing fuel and then his engine died because of what he was stealing.

+1
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:37:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

They did that on Mythbusters with a Caddy 500, and the thing ran like a top with a shitton of sugar in the tank.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:37:28 AM EDT
Most "sugar in the gas" is myth.

www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT

RIF...see a few posts above.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:40:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BOBK48:
The little bastards are stealing gas? Your friend leaves gas cans outside? How big is the gas can? throw a couple of quarts of heavy motor oil sae 50 or 70 in the can shake well.

No, they bust into his garage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:43:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:44:57 AM EDT by Rino451]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:44:32 AM EDT
In a metal can mix 1 gal gas and 1 gal Acetone. If it is going in a 4 wheeler / dirt bike, the %of Acetone will be high enough to trash almost every rubber / plastic part of the fuel system.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:46:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wraith:
In a metal can mix 1 gal gas and 1 gal Acetone. If it is going in a 4 wheeler / dirt bike, the %of Acetone will be high enough to trash almost every rubber / plastic part of the fuel system.

As a motorcycle guy myself, this IS pure evil!!!!

Come to think of it, I bet 1/2 gallon of carb cleaner would work miracles as well!

Randall
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:50:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Most "sugar in the gas" is myth.

www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

Interesting. I never knew the full sugar myth. All I ever heard was that it would clog your fuel injector.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:53:22 AM EDT

YUP, sugar, lots of it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:57:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 11:00:13 AM EDT by staraero]
4 gallons gas 1 gallon Acetone. add some nitro for extra brightness.

Oh get some micro balloons they'll fuck up the whole fuel system
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:57:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:58:25 AM EDT by rebel_rifle]
You do know what will happen, don't you??

He will end up "spiking" the gas and the kids *won't* steal it, he will go in the garage needing some gas and forget he did what he did and end up trashing his *own* engine.

I would not be surprised if this is what really ends up happening.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:58:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MlTCHELL:

They did that on Mythbusters with a Caddy 500, and the thing ran like a top with a shitton of sugar in the tank.

Do you remember the 1 thing they put in that did cause major problems? Bleach. Over night it instantly rusted every piece of exposed metal and created a thick sludge of metal particles which almost instantly stopped the engine by fouling up the entire fuel system.

So to answer your question, I think your buddy should just put some bleach in his cans.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT
Here are the official Mythbuster Test Results.

Car Caper 2: ‘Unauthorized Additives’

What happens when certain household products are added to gasoline? These myths used an engine and gasoline tank only. The tank was drained and cleaned between additives.

Does liquid drain cleaner cause the gas to explode? Liquid drain cleaner was added to the gas tank. The engine was started and nothing happened. The engine was then revved and again nothing happened.

Myth Busted.

Does bleach ruin an engine? The car stalled when bleach was placed into the gas tank. Additionally, the gas sat overnight prior to cleaning and the tank rusted up. Jamie says the rust would be sucked through the fuel system as a result of the corrosion.

Myth Plausible.

Does placing sugar in the gas tank ruin the engine? After sugar was added to the tank, nothing happened, even after Adam shook the tank. They leave the sugar in the tank overnight for maximum effect. The next morning the car starts.

Myth Busted.

Do adding mothballs to gasoline increase horsepower? Jamie mixed up a batch of mothball gasoline and poured it into the gas tank. The engine actually sounded better, although Adam and Jamie do not recommend trying it as there may be unknown side effects.

Myth Plausible.
Top Top