Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 8:36:52 AM EDT
...download this website:
https://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=MRX®ion=c4&lat=36.53377151&lon=-82.35868073&label=Blountville%2c%20TN

It shows the Doppler radar for Bristol and the surrounding counties. It can be zoomed to show the area immediately around the track by forming a corner of a square with the cursor and dragging it to any size you chose. It can be placed in motion by clicking the "ACTIVATE" button. Bristol is located where I-81 crosses the TN/VA state line.

Right now, the forecast is for a 50-75% chance of rain this afternoon and evening as shown here.
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=37617

Good luck with the weather and we hope y'all enjoy the race. We appreciate y'all's patronage and the green stuff y'all bring with you. It helps our economy a lot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks! Hopefully we stay dry but doesn't seem probable.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. The chances for rain are even higher Sunday. They may wind up racing on Monday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
how many people go to nascar races now?

eta: been to bristol when i lived in nashville for a race, holy shit...i was scared
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Bristol is a unique track. One sports pundit said watching a race there reminded him of when he flushed his Hot Wheels down the toilet.

At one time tickets had to be bought at least six months in advance, and attendance was over 160,000. But a couple of years ago, some of the seating was removed due to falling attendance. The stands were only partially filled at the spring race. The economy is part of the problem, but many feel that in trying to draw in the Chabli, Brie, and Lexus crowd, NASCAR has run off a good portion of their beer, BBQ, and Ford/Chevrolet fan base

Bruton Smith is bringing in  other attractions. Next month, a game between University of TN (GO VOLS!) and Virginia Tech is scheduled. According to reports, tickets are selling well so far sold out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah. The chances for rain are even higher Sunday. They may wind up racing on Monday.
View Quote

That would really suck.  We drove about 500 miles to get down here.  I got the place we're staying tomorrow night as well just in case that would happen but I had to draw the line somewhere.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've kind of fallen out of love with nascar over the last decade, but the Bristol night race is something that still interests me to attend one day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Incidentally, we have some excellent BBQ places around Bristol. Look up Ridgewood BBQ in Elizabethton, and Pardner's BBQ in Piney Flats.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard the spectacle at BMS described many different ways. I think it was Mark Martin that said when you're entering turn one you better know what's happening in turn two because you'll be there in a blink of the eye.

I think Darrell Waltrip said it was like watching jet fighters racing in a gymnasium. One time in the 80s Benny Parsons and two more guys did a demonstration where they parked a VW Bug up on the banking and easily pushed it over to see it barrel-roll down to the infield.

ESPN used to rank it in the top 10 sporting events in the world.

I used to go to a lot of different tracks but BMS was my favorite, by far. I live 20 minutes from the track.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Grab a poncho, folks. You're fixing to get wet!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Bring some VHT to spritz on the bottom  
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]
20 years ago the whole area would be awash with people on race weekends. I worked at a grocery store an hour away from Bristol and we would be covered up all weekend. It was rare to see a ticket for sale.

Now traffic isn't bad and there are hotel rooms available all over the greater Tri Cities area. Bruton killed BMS with the progressive banking. I didn't see a lap last night and won't be able to watch any tonight. But a friend said the stands were pretty empty last night. I remember the days when the Busch race would be about half full.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20 years ago the whole area would be awash with people on race weekends. I worked at a grocery store an hour away from Bristol and we would be covered up all weekend. It was rare to see a ticket for sale.

Now traffic isn't bad and there are hotel rooms available all over the greater Tri Cities area. Bruton killed BMS with the progressive banking. I didn't see a lap last night and won't be able to watch any tonight. But a friend said the stands were pretty empty last night. I remember the days when the Busch race would be about half full.
View Quote

All true, however the race last night was fantastic.

They may have hit on something with the VHT, used in the right places it appears to add lanes.  Also changes and wears out during the race, that makes searching for the right groove more important.

Like anything, NASCAR is working overtime to find a way to screw it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top