Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2006 6:11:31 PM EDT

www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402337&in_page_id=1770

Footballer gets criminal record for making sign of the cross

Last updated at 23:07pm on 25th August 2006

Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc has been cautioned for blessing himself in a match against arch rivals Rangers.

The Catholic church has blasted a decision by the Procurator Fiscal to issue Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc with a caution for blessing himself.

Polish star Boruc was rapped for making the sign of the cross at Ibrox in an Old Firm match last season.

The caution was issued after a six-month police investigation into the incident, which is said to have angered a section of the Rangers support.

Boruc is reported to have been completely baffled by the decision to issue him with the warning But the move has angered the church and prominent Scottish Catholics including outspoken composer James McMillan and Celtic author Dr Joe Bradley.

Last night Peter Kearney spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland, slammed the move. He said: "It is quite worrying that firstly some spectators saw fit to complain, but even more so that police felt that the act merited investigation.

"Incitement to religious hatred normally involves demeaning the signs and symbols of a person's faith "So, it would be interesting to know how a gesture of reverence falls into any of these categories.

"This decision could lead us down a very intolerant road.

"What if a family in a restaurant say grace and make the sign of the cross, would they be deemed as having inflamed the sensibilities of non-Catholics?" Renowned composer and Celtic fan James MacMillan, who's spoken out in the past about sectarianism, said the fuss over Boruc's act was a 'disgrace'.

He added: "It is completely ridiculous but then cases like these always are.

"It's a disgrace that in this day and age, such a fuss is being made over an incident like this. "It is a mark of shame that people cannot express their faith in a certain manner."

Dr Joe Bradley, editor of two books about Celtic and lecturer at Stirling University, said Boruc should be free to bless himself anywhere he likes.

He said: "This seems to tie in with the police report on Boruc who had apparently upset a section of the Rangers support.

"Only when people like Artur Boruc can bless themselves wherever and whenever they want will Scotland's sectarian problem be on its way to being solved." A Crown Office spokesman said that following careful consideration it was decided to use an alternative to prosecution in Boruc's case.

Options open to the fiscal included a straight warning or a warning plus payment of a monetary penalty known as a fiscal's fine.

Celtic have refused to comment ever since the caution was issued to their Polish keeper last week.

But last night Eddie Toner former General Secretary of the Celtic Supporters' Association said the club had "hung Boruc out to dry". He said: "It is sad that Celtic as a club appear to have made no objection to or comment on the caution.

"They seem to have hung Artur Boruc out to dry. "Celtic have a responsibility to protect the community from which they derive support, especially when that community come under attack.

"Perhaps those who made the complaint to the police should have a look at themselves, as it seems that it is they who have the sectarian problem.

"This gesture is one which is made by sportsmen and women all over the world, but bizarrely it only seems to cause offence here in Scotland." Boruc is not the first footballer in Scotland to have caused controversy by making the sign of the cross.

In 1999 Rangers fans complained after Celtic's former Croatian striker Mark Viduka blessed himself during an Old firm game.

Rod McDonald of Partick Thistle received a caution for blessing himself in a match against Rangers in 1996.

The yellow-card led to him being sent off for two bookable offences.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
agnostic/atheist here

that is bullshit
Im betting they would have arrested the offended fans if he would have whipped out a rug and prayed to Mecca
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell just to piss them of I'd tattoo a cross on my head after i shaved all my hair off.

Fucking idiots...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The old firm derby matches are notorious for the fierce rivalry between the catholic celtic fans and the protestant rangers fans. Always have been, always will be.

What I dont understand is why protestants would get offended by some one making the sign of the cross. I thought that is pretty universal throughout the christian faiths.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Coming soon to a High School near you.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hell just to piss them of I'd tattoo a cross on my head after i shaved all my hair off.

Fucking idiots...

Amen.  Crock of flaming rat shit.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
agnostic/atheist here

that is bullshit
Im betting they would have arrested the offended fans if he would have whipped out a rug and prayed to Mecca

+1000
This is what libtardism gets you!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Scotland; You can take our lives but you will never take our freedom! never mind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's so outrageously ridiculous, it's almost funny.

It's totally hilarious!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That's so outrageously ridiculous, it's almost funny.

Tell me about it; the best part:

The caution was issued after a six-month police investigation into the incident, which is said to have angered a section of the Rangers support.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
A criminal record???

WTF???
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF !!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The citizen will report for re-education after committing the above-mentioned thought crime.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
As one ARFCOMer said in another thread about Scotland:

"Somewhere, William Wallace is looking at this and saying, 'I got my intestines ripped out for this?'"
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402337&in_page_id=1770

Footballer ...

That's what he gets for playing a pansy Euro-sport!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought this was going to be about REAL football. Not the faggoty european crap.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Western civilization is eating itself alive, starting with its mother.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What I dont understand is why protestants would get offended by some one making the sign of the cross. I thought that is pretty universal throughout the christian faiths.

Don't know much about the Reformed branch of the Protestants do you?
No one I know of but the Anglicans and Romanists use the SotC, anyway.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

Nope, not a clue
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

Romanist?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

Romanist?

Do you not understand, or are you objecting to the term?
Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

Romanist?

Larry

More amused than anything...

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's no worse than calling a member of the Church of England an Anglican.  Just shorthand.

You should hear what they call me...
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Coming soon to a High School near you.

You cannot express your religeous beliefs at US public skools
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#25]
A lot of Poles are Catholics
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
There comes a time when killin' needs to be done.

The Revolutionary War, WWI, WWII, ... and so on had destinctive starts.

I'm a Christian.  I am not a prude.

I'm getting tired of the left-wing secularists.

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#27]
This guy crossed himself, and they had a SIX MONTH INVESTIGATION????

Then they gave him a TICKET???????????????  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's no worse than calling a member of the Church of England an Anglican.  Just shorthand.

"Romanist" is pretty much the same as "Papist", a favorite term of the Ku Klux Klan.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

Romanist?

Larry

Well, I object! I am a "Romanists", expect the inquisition to begin on Monday!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Tell you what; you get the Pope and the College of Cardinals to quit calling me a "God-cursed heretic" and "apostate", and I'll stop using the word Romanist.
Deal?

Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell you what; you get the Pope and the College of Cardinals to quit calling me a "God-cursed heretic" and "apostate", and I'll stop using the word Romanist.
Deal?

Larry

Maybe you should join the 21st century and stop living in the 16th century?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Has the RCC removed the anathema of Trent?  If not, they get to go first.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Has the RCC removed the anathema of Trent?  If not, they get to go first.

Do you think we want more "churches" that have women dancing around barefoot playing tamborines?

Enjoy your coloring book at Sunday school.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#34]
The time is coming
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it is not the same thing as calling a member of the Church of England an Anglican… something I am very sure you are aware of. It is a term used by pepole in white hoods.

There is no one here calling you anything… yet, so why do you feel the need to insult them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
No it is not the same thing as calling a member of the Church of England an Anglican… something I am very sure you are aware of. It is a term used by pepole in white hoods.

There is no one here calling you anything… yet, so why do you feel the need to insult them.

I just got called a Klanner for the second time, so you're point is countered.
I have no idea what Sturm's post is supposed to mean.

Ooops,, forgot.
ETA:

You need to get out of your narrow, parochial Tennessee mindset; maybe you could drop the Klanner references.  In most of the world the RCC uses the term "Romanist" to designate the Western brance in contradistinction to the Eastern rites that fall under it's authority.  It is not a perjorative term outside of the hills, evidently.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Liberate Great Britian!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooops,, forgot.
ETA:

You need to get out of your narrow, parochial Tennessee mindset; maybe you could drop the Klanner references.  In most of the world the RCC uses the term "Romanist" to designate the Western brance in contradistinction to the Eastern rites that fall under it's authority.  It is not a perjorative term outside of the hills, evidently.

Larry

What a a*%&^t.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooops,, forgot.
ETA:

Larry

What a a*%&^t.

Can't argue with a comeback like that; you win.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

www.bartleby.com/61/37/R0293700.html
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000.

Romanist

NOUN: 1. Offensive  One who professes Roman Catholicism.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000.

Romanist

Evidently some here do take it offesively.  Did they mention that any one using it is usually a Klanner?
That doesn't change the fact that in other contexts it is not offensive.  It is natural for many to use the term when referring to the Western RCC.   I apologize for unwittingly offending those of you who didn't know that.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Romanist

Not on anyones side here, but I don't think quoting the American Heritage version is going to do much to convince someone from anywhere else, especially someone from across the atlantic.

I was roffling at the whole thing too until I saw you people bickering like school girls.

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Once again, the law is an ass.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
agnostic/atheist here

that is bullshit

Agnostic here too. Such a bunch of bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Fucking idiots...

yep.

First it's our right to bear arms, now it's our freedom of religion they're taking away.  What's next?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Parochial Tennessee mindset tells me a Buckeye is a worthless nut.

I was talking to the fellow that had already evinced such an attitude.  It doesn't apply to you, unless you claim it as your own.  The problem is that he thinks his personal context is the whole world, and has no ability to see that what offends him is not offensive to most.  And that not everyone that disagrees with him must be a Klanner.  If you search my posts, you can see that I despise Klanners and 88s.

We agree in most things, no need to choose sides based on a jerk's geographical location.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking idiots...

yep.

First it's our right to bear arms, now it's our freedom of religion they're taking away.  What's next?

You live in Scotland?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Next thing you know, this will spread thoughout Europe, starting with France.

Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#50]
hehe I told Alien.. they'd have to go ahead and ban me.  I'd make the sign of the cross with one hand and flip them off with the other

:)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top