Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 5:08:58 PM EDT
Is there any sort of bacterial infection, specifically that strikes poultry, that puts off a taste and smell of bananas? I ask because the turkey sandwich I'm eating now smelled and tastes like banana, and I need to know if I should start puking my guts out now so I won't be tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably just old. Poultry bacteria include Salmonella, Campylobacter among others. Puking now won't help, you are already being assimilated - may come out the other end tomorrow ;)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably salmonella, let it run its course or go to the doc and get some phenegran
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
At least you didn't waste fifty cents throwing away a perfectly bad sandwich.

I've had food poisoning twice. I throw away any food that is questionable. Puking and shitting for three hours straight while you run a high fever will give you memories that last and last...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Food poisoning is nothing compared to a G.I. Virus......  if you wind up doin a double hunch, you'll live.

Edited to add:  Most doctors will tell you food poisoning occurs within an hour of consumption.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Got some food poisioning from some bad chicken at Applebees on a business trip. It set in within a few hours, jacked me up for a few days. Worst I've ever felt in my life. puking and shitting, cold sweats, hot sweats, cramps, no sleep, serious fatigue, begging for someone just to kill me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Edited to add:  Most doctors will tell you food poisoning occurs within an hour of consumption.

Having eaten in a college dorm cafeteria for 4+ years, it is from extensive personal experience I can safely say that food poisoning generally becomes apparent around 6 hours after you've eaten.

It's true that some bugs can give you the Scooties within the hour, but gen-u-ine, cold-sweats-'n-fever-'n-lower-backache food posioning takes a little time to put you down for the count.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
if your stomach isnt having any cramps or problems now and no head aches, you will probably be OK.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
At least you didn't waste fifty cents throwing away a perfectly bad sandwich.

Well, a little bit into it, I decided it was too disgusting to eat, and so I did throw it away. So, you're wrong.

But it was more like two dollars. Turkey's expensive here.

Well, so far, no shitting blood, puking, diarrhea, fevers, or anything worse than a mild stomachache that could very well be unrelated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had giardia TWICE, both times from backpacking in Wyoming.

I was one of the lucky ones, both times it only jacked me up for 2-3 days.

But those days were hell. Heading to the bathroom not knowing if I needed to sit or kneel at the toilet. Sitting on the toilet and suddenly needing to kneel and into a toilet I hadn't flushed yet.

Hope all turns out well for ya.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it has to do with all these genetically enhanced foods.

To improve the texture and tenderness of your turkey they have genetically enhanced it with the banana. The new turkey no longer needs to be plucked because you can just peel them. The only trade off is that the turkey when sliced gives off a banana type odor.

Good luck! It is amazing what they try to pass off as food nowadays.

MT
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

But those days were hell. Heading to the bathroom not knowing if I needed to sit or kneel at the toilet. Sitting on the toilet and suddenly needing to kneel and into a toilet I hadn't flushed yet.

Suggestion:

BUY A GOOD FILTER, OR BOIL ALL THE WATER YOU DRINK!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SNIP... It set in within a few hours, jacked me up for a few days. Worst I've ever felt in my life. hitting,

Sounds exactly like my last vacation in Mexico!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Fourteen years ago.  KFC.  Those who ate the Extra Crispy were fine, but those of us who ate the Original all got a bad dose.

My wife had just given birth to our second child and was still in the hospital with my son.  The family bought the chicken and ate it that evening.  Fortunately we didn't bring any to her in the hospital.  She came home the following morning and had to take care of my daughter, who also had eaten the Original.  I spent the next day and a half in another bathroom.

It was very, very bad.  I have not eaten one piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken since that day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IBT Ryan's Steakhouse.

Even worse is (after emptying both ends and spending several hours making sure they're empty) is being in an ER, with an IV stuck in your arm and what feels like a blunt dagger slowly spinning around in your stomach, while the staff debates whether or not you're in enough pain to get something for it ("'cause the painkiller slows down your digestive system").  (I.V. Dilaudid is WONDERFUL stuff, I highly recommend it.)  Then, once you're starting to feel like you no longer want to die, the surgeon comes over and starts poking and prodding and grabbing and squeezing where the dagger was, and you can tell he's getting ready to operate.

He didn't need to operate, and was visibly disappointed.

Out the next morning.  Chicken broth for breakast is...not as bad as you would think.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suggestion:

BUY A GOOD FILTER, OR BOIL ALL THE WATER YOU DRINK!

NO DOUBT, here's a good one

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a bad burger from the Ground Round in Hauppauge, NY on a business trip.  I thought I was going to die for a full 24 hours.  Puke, then shit. Puke, shit. Pukeshit. Pukeshitpukeshitpukeshit....shivershivershiver...shit...shower...shit..shower....puke...........
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#17]
torf & ironoxbows:

The first time I went I used military iodine pills. Thought I was covered. Chose the water I drank carefully BEFORE I put the pills in it.

The second time I went I had this "Survival Straw" that had a chemical filter, charcoal filter and particle filter built into it. Claimed it could filter the worst water. I stll chose my water carefully. Still no good.

NOW I have a PUR Scout PURIFIER  and it seems to work just fine.

Gamesniper didn't need to learn the hard way a third time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top