Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/7/2001 2:14:09 PM EDT
How are we (the Federal Government) sure that the humanitarian aid we are also "bombing" Afghanistan with is not falling into the enemies hands? Is this some kind of "PC" war? Would we have beat the Germans in WWII if we were air-dropping food and medicines to the "civilians" of that country as soon as D-day had begun? Just doesn't make sense to me. During the Civil War I thought Sheridan destroyed any food supplies that the people in Virginia had, to defeat the Confederates, civilians and soldiers. Am I out of line here? What do you think? [>:/]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:19:11 PM EDT
I don't believe you are out of line at all. In this day and age of PCness that is how things are done. It is ridiculous but I am not a military strategist so maybe there are reasons although I can't think of any. Of course my response to all of this would have been a couple of nukes to that country and anybody else that didn't like it would get the same treatment until no one had anything else to say. Guess it's good I'm not in charge.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:24:00 PM EDT
The repeated 'humanitarian effort' is ruse to keep the 'heart string' liberals in support of an ongoing action of which the objectives are not clear. This is not a war we can win. At least not without some serious mettle... An i am afraid out political leaders do not have the mettle to what it really takes. Zaz
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:30:38 PM EDT
It's the old "winning the hearts and minds of the people" while making war on the government. When the people of Afganistan are starving and many don't support the Taliban, it is at least worth a try. We can't wage war against them forever. We need to lay the ground work for a friendly Govt. to take control, if thats possible.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:48:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sukebe: It's the old "winning the hearts and minds of the people" while making war on the government. When the people of Afganistan are starving and many don't support the Taliban, it is at least worth a try. We can't wage war against them forever. We need to lay the ground work for a friendly Govt. to take control, if thats possible.
View Quote
Just like he said we are trying to be good to the subjects of Afganistan. Political warfare, lets make our enemies like us while we destroy their government. Yeah, kinda irks me too. I'll leave the warfare to the experts.
Top Top