Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/25/2005 1:12:00 PM EDT
Your thoughts.

Why am I bringing up such a heated topic? Earlier I was at Walmart (yes they are evil, thats another topic) and went to check out. The lady in front of me was in one of their powered scooters, both asscheeks hanging out of the side of the seat. She had to have been around 400lbs, but still had a young look to her face. She started unloading her little cart, putting those 10 packs (or 5? im not sure) of candy bars on the checkout belt. Almond Joys, 3 Musketeers, Baby Ruths. Then came the drinks, 3 six packs of Mountain Dew. Other assorted stuff, none of it very healthy, and I somehow doubt she was getting a jump on the Halloween rush. How does she pay for this all? Food Stamps (its actually a debit-type card called the Louisiana Purchase card, but all the same to me).

This kind of makes me think the government should issue something like rice, fish, and mango stamps
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:13:58 PM EDT
This subject has been here over the years, but have fun. These threads usually end up with some pretty entertaining rants...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:15:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HardShell:
These threads usually end up with some pretty entertaining rants...

That what I was trol.... er, aiming for
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:16:17 PM EDT
Processed foods are cheap and therefore provide more bang for your welfare buck. Unfortunately, all processed foods are pretty unhealthy and should be regarded as treats. That lady seems to be tossing 'em like they're the staple of her diet, which is why she's now shopping in that scooter.

I see this quite often when I go shopping.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:17:20 PM EDT
Food Stamps? I like this one - the Indian fighting off the Zombie!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:17:59 PM EDT
My thoughts............. Hummmmmmmmmmm well seeing as how I BUST my ass day in & day out............... Uncle Bitch taking money out of my hands................. to feed lazy assed MF'ers!

On second thought........... Where does one go to sign up for food stamps............... Fuck it!

Sorry............ I got a case of the ass today!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:29:20 PM EDT

This must be what the welfare office looks like.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:06:46 PM EDT
Next time you see someone doing that. Start saying no no no no this isn't going to work , fling everything back in the cart. And go get some broccoli and good junk , lay it up there. When they say WTF are you doing say I want you to eat healthy , after all I'm paying for it.

When I got my first job at Wendy's , I couldn't believe the money they took out. I could buy food for a month on the take out from two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:15:41 PM EDT
Well, you probably paid for the damn scooter also, as fatasses are "handicapped" and elgible for lackoflegs locomotion. I doubt she was diabetic. I usually DO say something, it usually involves looking in my wallet, muttering, then remembering aloud I have to work to eat. Fat is NOT a DISABILITY, it's an excuse NOT to work.

Besides, I know of plenty of heavy paople who bust their asses working every day, and only one who did not do crap but be off for being to heavy, back problems, knee problems, etc. but of course he could go golfing with the company league. Company made him a supervisor. Truth. Line worker, over 400lbs and the trucks buckets are overweight AT 400lbs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:16:07 PM EDT
Man I feel your pain. I live here in Louisiana too and see this same ole shit everyday. We just made the top of the obesity list also. This lady probably has or will have diabetes and eventually require kidney dialysis. And you know who is gonna have to pay for that. You and me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:23:52 PM EDT
I don't mind chipping in a little to help those who are truly in need. However, I get pretty pissed when I driving around for my job and see 30 year olds sitting on their porch in the poor areas of town. It seems like none of them have jobs, or even care to find them. I also hate seeing people pay with food stamps while talking on a cell phone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:29:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By blair50:
I don't mind chipping in a little to help those who are truly in need. However, I get pretty pissed when I driving around for my job and see 30 year olds sitting on their porch in the poor areas of town. It seems like none of them have jobs, or even care to find them. I also hate seeing people pay with food stamps while talking on a cell phone.

Hell, that's most of my client base!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:45:25 PM EDT
Food stamps are bullshit. I can't count the number of times I see somebody buying food with "stamps", then going out to their bling-bling dually pickup in the parking lot.

If we must have them, they should only be redeemable for the blandest, most undesirable (but healthy) foods possible. That keeps a needy person alive, but keeps others from leeching.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:50:13 PM EDT
Lady in front of me in line buys her groceries with food stamps. I walk out to my vehicle and see her loading her groceries into a brand new mercedes. She pulls out and I see she is going the same direction as I am. She pulls into a housing development in the foothills where houses started at $500,000 at 1995 prices. Would be a $1,000,000 + home today.

Of course, she could have been a live in employee for some old rich lady, and could just be using her own food stamps to get the lady some groceries and keeping the ladies cash.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:59:14 PM EDT
My sister-in-law is a classic welfare momma. she has a crackhead for a husband and five kids. It is always funny how right about the time she is about to get cut off from welfare they have another little baby on the way.

There should be a limit on the number of MONTHS that you can receive benefits. Someday these people need to take responsibility for their own lives. I cant stand it either when they get out of their NEW car talking on the latest cell phone and go pay with food stamps in front of me in the store.

Does that qualify as a rant, eh, close enough.

The only kind of food stamps that should be available to anyone are the kind you would use to mail a watermelon.....

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:27:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fizassist:
If we must have them, they should only be redeemable for the blandest, most undesirable (but healthy) foods possible. That keeps a needy person alive, but keeps others from leeching.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think our government is just going to quit feeding people, and this a plausible solution.

Whatever happened to the government passing out "commodities" as everyone used to call them? My grandmother got them each month and they included a pretty balanced selection. And the cheese, talk about a grilled cheese sandwich . She would get it and my dad was once the senior enlisted man at the local NG unit where they passed them out, he'd sometimes have some left over. Who here has had "gubment cheese"??
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:42:42 PM EDT
MMMM, big 5 pound blocks of government surplus cheese,

makes Land-o-Lakes yellow American cheese taste like pig snot.

It was really good,

That must have been 25 years ago and I can still remember the taste.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:51:38 PM EDT
If I had foodstamps I could feed my pitbull t bones.

If I had foodstamps I would be able to afford good food and be able to run the AC in my house.

If I was on welfare I could go see that this pain (I think kidney) is.

If I was on welfare I wouldnt have to worry about finding a place I can afford to live at.

Nut no I work, I have to remember that Im not good enough to eat some days, I dont deserve steak, My purpose in life is to support the fucking welfare parade, I dont deserve any better then working every day and never having anything. Shit I should have pain inflicted on my for even thinking for one damn second that Im that good.

No I cant die, who is going to support Brusselsprout head, who will feed his pitbull, who will pay for his moms new Cadallic, who will pay for thier AC thats set on 60 with the doors open.

If you go and work hard they might not have to adjust thier lifestyle, the last thing you want is to have the welfare crowd not be able to afford things, to think about money, to live.... like you.

Work hard all your life to support them, maybe if they get some new Nikes next month you will be able to die, but your family will have to work hard to pay your medical bills and take care of the welfare crowd.

I love only seeing half of my $350 a week paycheck, I really do, nothing makes me happier then knowing they can sit on thier ass watching thier TV, while Im at working trying to get thier sisters cable fixes so she can watch Maury, she doesnt work if she doesnt have her TV what will she do them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:09:36 PM EDT
Taxman is the cable guy?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:11:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By D348:
Taxman is the cable guy?

Basicly, I work for Knology cable/phone/internet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:20:17 PM EDT
Taxman what do you do for the company? Ever consider moving to Atlanta?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:21:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
Taxman what do you do for the company? Ever consider moving to Atlanta?

People call me for billing/service problems

If I had work and could afford to live on pay
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 4:27:41 PM EDT by woodbutcher223308]
Taxman, I was just hired back after being layed off for 4 months, not sure if I can go to Texas in Oct. Fuck , I can come and help ya shoot some ammo, Then we make a break for Texas , and shoot some more. I don't have the bugs worked out yet though on this plan.

ETA ..sorry for the hi-jack.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:38:53 PM EDT
I used to work for a grocery chain as a checker. Talk about seeing corruption in the Food Stamp system every day. That was before the debit card, when they had actual 1, 5 and 10 dollar notes. The shit these people would buy with it was sickening. They would have their kids with them too, and there would hardly be a "staple" in the cart. My favorite was the guys who would come in and buy ONE Jalapeno pepper. It would be 6 cents. They'd get 94 cents in change. And we couldn't do shit to stop it. I tried once, and got my ass chewed by my boss.

Now, the program I do like is called WIC. Women, Infants and Children. It should be also Men, Women, Infants and Children, but that is another rant. Anyway, the customer comes in with a WIC check, and it specifies EXACTLY what they can buy, and how much. It usually has a maximum dollar amount as well, but I never got close. What could they buy with a WIC check?
Eggs
Milk
Cereal from the approved list on the back of the check
Frozen Orange Juice or other 100% fruit or vegetable juice.
Bread (also from the approved list)
Infant Formula
Dried beans or peas
Peanut butter

Now, that doesn't mean that WIC doesn't need reform either. If you look on most state WIC sites, a mother with two kids can qualify for WIC with an annual income of $30,000. That is surprisingly high.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:59:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scollins:
I used to work for a grocery chain as a checker. Talk about seeing corruption in the Food Stamp system every day. That was before the debit card, when they had actual 1, 5 and 10 dollar notes. The shit these people would buy with it was sickening. They would have their kids with them too, and there would hardly be a "staple" in the cart. My favorite was the guys who would come in and buy ONE Jalapeno pepper. It would be 6 cents. They'd get 94 cents in change. And we couldn't do shit to stop it. I tried once, and got my ass chewed by my boss.

Now, the program I do like is called WIC. Women, Infants and Children. It should be also Men, Women, Infants and Children, but that is another rant. Anyway, the customer comes in with a WIC check, and it specifies EXACTLY what they can buy, and how much. It usually has a maximum dollar amount as well, but I never got close. What could they buy with a WIC check?
Eggs
Milk
Infant Formula
Dried beans or peas
Peanut butter

Now, that doesn't mean that WIC doesn't need reform either. If you look on most state WIC sites, a mother with two kids can qualify for WIC with an annual income of $30,000. That is surprisingly high.

WIC I do support. If I want my tax money going to anyone, it would be towards children that don't have a choice on how lazy and irresponsible their parents are, not to say that all are.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:00:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yellow5:
Who here has had "gubment cheese"??

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:08:45 PM EDT

Eggs
Milk
Infant Formula
Dried beans or peas
Peanut butter

yep seen all of the above worked grocery thru HS
the prograham makes sense but WIC was a pain in the azz they would always try to seak unapproved shit though I was a hard ass though

The whole buy cheap and get change pissed me off
the manager at the store i wa at was pretty good if we spotted people doing that to tell him and he would run their ass out of the store till the owner found out and was pissed cuz he gets his money either way

They got smart they would give all of their 22 kids a $1 stamp and have them all buy bazooka gum or something then pool the change to buy cigerattes.......fuckers

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:24:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mak:
Lady in front of me in line buys her groceries with food stamps. I walk out to my vehicle and see her loading her groceries into a brand new mercedes. She pulls out and I see she is going the same direction as I am. She pulls into a housing development in the foothills where houses started at $500,000 at 1995 prices. Would be a $1,000,000 + home today.

Of course, she could have been a live in employee for some old rich lady, and could just be using her own food stamps to get the lady some groceries and keeping the ladies cash.

Here is my guess. She bought the food stamps from someone for XX cents on the dollar. That way she gets a 'discount' on her grocery bill, and the food stamp seller gets the cigarettes, booze or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:31:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Reload_em:
MMMM, big 5 pound blocks of government surplus cheese,

makes Land-o-Lakes yellow American cheese taste like pig snot.

It was really good,

That must have been 25 years ago and I can still remember the taste.

I remember it too. My aunt got some and sent us a block.

American cheese with flavor. Hell, I'd pay for that nowdays!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:01:54 PM EDT
i see where you guys our right about certain people on foodstamps. i mean where i live people go buy their food and go out to their 15000 to 25000 dollar car and it pisses me off.

im struggling right now just to get by and some of these people have high end cars they could sell.but no they go some how and get foodstamps among other goverment help.and i dont see how since you our supposed to declear your vehicle on the application.

lets see right now im on disabilty and im 24 and my disabilty check each month is 565.00 my bills our 450.00. do the math that would leave me 115.00 for the month and on top of that i am taking care of my disabled mother who is fighting disabilty at the moment.

hers looks good so now that the doc has signed the letter for my mom my foodstamps will go from 95.00 to 245.00.now if this isnt a case for foodstamps i dont know what is.
which will help im tired of eating rice and beans.because of how high thing have gotten as of lately.

im glad i dont drive i would truly be fucked.

i am hoping by next year i can get some colledge clases in so i can get off disabilty and start doing things on my own.

sorry for the rant but damn some of us truly need to get the help and our barely making it by at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 6:35:46 AM EDT by HardShell]

... Now, that doesn't mean that WIC doesn't need reform either. If you look on most state WIC sites, a mother with two kids can qualify for WIC with an annual income of $30,000. That is surprisingly high.

That's because WIC is not an entitlement program like Food Stamps, i.e. it is not based solely on income. WIC participation is set at 185% of the federal poverty level (which is based on total household members & changes annually; except for AK and HI, it doesn't vary from state to state, BTW) but also requires a documented medical/nutritional need component. (IOW, low income alone won't get you on WIC.)

WIC has been shown to save $4 or more in future Medicaid spending for every dollar spent on the program - which is why you see such stroing support for it on both sides of the aisle in DC.

IMHO the Food Stamp program could be GREATLY improved overnight by placing restrictions on what foods can be purchased (similar to WIC) and limiting it only to "staple" foods (i.e, no junk!). They also need to police fraud & abuse better (again, something the WIC program does much better).

WIC isn't perfect by any means, but it is one of the best public health nutrition/prevention models out there...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:58:44 AM EDT
I worked at Kroger for over a year. A large majority of the people using food stamps were not only obese or morbidly obese, but they mostly bought pop, candy, chips, etc. VERY rarely did they buy anything that was actually good for them.

Our tax dollars are paying to make them fat and uhealthy, and forcing us to pay their medicare.

The government should ONLY allow people on food stamps to buy food that is healthy. NO sugar food of any kind.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:43:38 PM EDT
I just wanted to bump this to show the irony of everything. Just a few days after I made this thread I ended up homeless, and I now have my very own Louisiana Purchase Disaster Assistance food stamp card
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
If I had foodstamps I could feed my pitbull t bones.

If I had foodstamps I would be able to afford good food and be able to run the AC in my house.

If I was on welfare I could go see that this pain (I think kidney) is.

If I was on welfare I wouldnt have to worry about finding a place I can afford to live at.

Nut no I work, I have to remember that Im not good enough to eat some days, I dont deserve steak, My purpose in life is to support the fucking welfare parade, I dont deserve any better then working every day and never having anything. Shit I should have pain inflicted on my for even thinking for one damn second that Im that good.

No I cant die, who is going to support Brusselsprout head, who will feed his pitbull, who will pay for his moms new Cadallic, who will pay for thier AC thats set on 60 with the doors open.

If you go and work hard they might not have to adjust thier lifestyle, the last thing you want is to have the welfare crowd not be able to afford things, to think about money, to live.... like you.

Work hard all your life to support them, maybe if they get some new Nikes next month you will be able to die, but your family will have to work hard to pay your medical bills and take care of the welfare crowd.

I love only seeing half of my $350 a week paycheck, I really do, nothing makes me happier then knowing they can sit on thier ass watching thier TV, while Im at working trying to get thier sisters cable fixes so she can watch Maury, she doesnt work if she doesnt have her TV what will she do them.

Great rant Taxman!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:57:44 PM EDT
Can you buy the cheese, or that big thick baloney. Ive tried every brand we get here and nothing is close to being as good as that stuff is. Dang wish I could find out were they moved to, I miss the food
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:04:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By staraero:
Next time you see someone doing that. Start saying no no no no this isn't going to work , fling everything back in the cart. And go get some broccoli and good junk , lay it up there. When they say WTF are you doing say I want you to eat healthy , after all I'm paying for it.

To hell with that.
I want them to eat all that shit and die early. That's welfare reform on the fast track.

I'm not only not going to remove that crap from their cart, I'm gonna go get them some beer, a few cartons of cigs, and a giant-economy-size bag of Cheez-Doodles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:13:38 PM EDT
It is shit like this that makes me work under the table so I don't pay nearly as much in taxes.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:02:39 PM EDT

I just wanted to bump this to show the irony of everything. Just a few days after I made this thread I ended up homeless, and I now have my very own Louisiana Purchase Disaster Assistance food stamp card

See, bad karma, you were complaining about food stamps and brought that hurricane down on yourself. Now I bet you regret complaining about all those people on food stamps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:37:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mak:

See, bad karma, you were complaining about food stamps and brought that hurricane down on yourself. Now I bet you regret complaining about all those people on food stamps.

Well, I now have a real understanding of the truth that anyone of us may need food stamps at any point in our lives to get back on our feet, but I still hope that fat bitch chokes on a sports bar out of the MRE's she and everyone else here have been eating.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:40:29 AM EDT
I've only seen one person actually using them properly, the rest were abusing them
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
I've only seen one person actually using them properly, the rest were abusing them

I'm damn well gonna abuse mine - my $149 per 90 days is going towards replacing the hundreds of dollars worth of meat and vegetables I lost from my freezer. I'll live off the MRE's and canned goods the NG and red crescent give out until then.

Oh yea, I lost the freezer too
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:22:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 11:30:57 AM EDT by FishKepr]

Originally Posted By Reload_em:
My sister-in-law is a classic welfare momma. she has a crackhead for a husband and five kids. It is always funny how right about the time she is about to get cut off from welfare they have another little baby on the way.

There should be a limit on the number of MONTHS that you can receive benefits. Someday these people need to take responsibility for their own lives. I cant stand it either when they get out of their NEW car talking on the latest cell phone and go pay with food stamps in front of me in the store.

Does that qualify as a rant, eh, close enough.

The only kind of food stamps that should be available to anyone are the kind you would use to mail a watermelon.....

There's a theoretical limit on 'Temporary Assistance for Needy Families' of 60 months, but by law waivers are given if there is a child or disabled person involved in the case. The 'TANF clock' does not stop, an extension is simply placed on the limit.

Now you're probably thinking, "So if she keeps popping out kids, the limit keeps getting extended." That's right.

I've talked to many-a-caseworker who rant about abuse but are powerless to stop it. Some of them shake their heads and say, "Don't get me started." When they do manage to bust a fraud case, I've actually assisted a few, they celebrate, but that celebration is sometimes short lived as apparantly there is an entire legal speciality devoted to defending public assistance recipients.

ETA:
As far as food stamps is concerned, the use of EBT cards has cut down on some of the abuse, but some of that depends on the grocery store chains programming their databases correctly. The computers are supposed to flag and deny transactions on prohibited products. And of course, it's difficult to prevent to sale of EBT cards on the black market in exchange for narcotics just like the old food coupons.
Top Top