Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 1:47:27 PM EDT
I had a interview on Tuesday that went extremely well.  So well that they were talking about considering me for a higher position than I applied for. After the interview the manager told me "I think I speak for the whole team when I say that we'd love to have you as part of the team".  He said that he had to talk to his manager and that he would probably want to talk to me for a couple minutes.  So today is Thurday and I havnt heard anything.  I know I'm being a little impatient but I'm wondering if I should make a follow up call to the manager who interviewed me.  What do you think?  What would I say?

I'd like to just call and ask if my first paycheck is there yet but I doubt that would go over all that well :)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ahead and call to follow up, but don't be disappointed if they haven't made any decisions yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You should always send a simple, handwritten thank you card to an interviewer, thanking him for discussing the opportunities presented blah blah blah

Dear Interviewer:

Thank you for discussing the position available at Acme with me. Your company is very impressive and I would certainly enjoy working there.

I feel that my management / technical / marksmanship / ass kissing / whatever skills would benefit your company.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mr. Soon to be Hired

Something like that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I would lurk in the parking lot, and when the manager walks out, leap in front of them and give them the old "puppy dog eyes"

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You should always send a simple, handwritten thank you card to an interviewer, thanking him for discussing the opportunities presented blah blah blah

+1, write letter to each person you spoke to.  Nothing too fancy but just touch upon what you spoke about.  Dont over do it or you will look desparate.  Just enough that they know you are a professional and that you will do the right things.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I dont know his address, should I follow him home?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
schapman43 call back friday just to say you just wanted to touch base. Can't hurt, but do not press that can be a turn off.

I had the samething happen to me, but in my case the hiring manager had to present 2 apps's to the HR department. They end up taking the other person because it was a promotion for that person. The hiring manager called me to tell me because she was mad as a wet hen about it.

so you never know.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know his address, should I follow him home?

Nah, send it to his work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Find out where his wife works and follow her there.  Then approach her when she is unaware and make sure she puts in a good word for you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Find out where his wife works and follow her there.  Then approach her when she is unaware and make sure she puts in a good word for you.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You should always send a simple, handwritten thank you card to an interviewer, thanking him for discussing the opportunities presented blah blah blah...

Except mention your "skillz" so he'll know you're cool.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That has to be one of the dumbest ideas Ive ever heard.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is dumb about that -- the handwritten card part or the written followup part?  I would send a typed letter thanking them, not a handwritten thank you, but I'd damn sure send some kind of written followup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wear pants.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dear Interviewer:

Thank you for discussing the position available at Acme with me. Your company is very impressive and I would certainly enjoy working there.

I feel that my management / technical / marksmanship / ass kissing / whatever skills would benefit your company.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mr. Soon to be Hired

Something like that.

I've had my candidate do something like this, but only overseen by me - via EMAIL. Triple check all spelling and grammar.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It USED to be an expected common curtesy but isn't done much now.  When you do it you make a damn fine impression.  I tend to email it now but I send the notes just the same.  Had an interview yesterday and sent the notes via email 3 hours later.  

I'm curious to know why you think it's a dumb idea?  Like I said it USED to be expected.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The wife sends TYVM's.

She doens;t get all the jobs she's interviewed for, but she's been called back for others before the "official" application period.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It USED to be an expected common curtesy but isn't done much now.  When you do it you make a damn fine impression.  I tend to email it now but I send the notes just the same.  Had an interview yesterday and sent the notes via email 3 hours later.  

I'm curious to know why you think it's a dumb idea?  Like I said it USED to be expected.

It just seems weird. Id think the guy sending it was a desperate loon. Besides, any job Ive EVER landed, I walked out of the interview with a starting date. And I mean every last job. Hell, the job Im at now I didnt even have to fill out an app. or hand over my resume, just shot the shit with the owner, told him my backround and I was in.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, write letter to each person you spoke to.  Nothing too fancy but just touch upon what you spoke about.  Dont over do it or you will look desparate.  Just enough that they know you are a professional and that you will do the right things.

definitely a note. at the minimum
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It just seems weird. Id think the guy sending it was a desperate loon. Besides, any job Ive EVER landed, I walked out of the interview with a starting date. And I mean every last job. Hell, the job Im at now I didnt even have to fill out an app. or hand over my resume, just shot the shit with the owner, told him my backround and I was in.

What exactly do you do?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

Ive done a lot but currently I am an armed guard in Detroit while I finish my degree, new career path. Lots of interesting events that youll only see in the ghetto. Gotta love the bootleggers that come by about every week or two with a backpack full of DVDs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Always follow up a few days after.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

Ive done a lot but currently I am an armed guard in Detroit while I finish my degree, new career path. Lots of interesting events that youll only see in the ghetto. Gotta love the bootleggers that come by about every week or two with a backpack full of DVDs.

That might be the difference.  I think we're talking about higher end jobs.  Not trying to offend!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I will give them a call tomorrow and do the "I just wanted to touch bases before the weekend" thing.  Not really sure what to say other than that though.  I already thanked them for bringing me in for an interview just before I left the office.  That and I dont really have an address to send a card to.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

That might be the difference.  I think we're talking about higher end jobs.  Not trying to offend!

Yep.  The professional positions I have held, it was not permitted for them to "just hire" someone during an interview; the hiring process is strictly regimented, and usually even if you are the golden candidate, they can't officially offer you the job until after the process is complete for all applicants and further meetings have been held.

University career services will tell you that thank-you notes are a required courtesy.  When I have sat on hiring committees, the conspicuous absence of a thank-you note after the interview would be a significant negative strike.  If an interviewee can not even perform common courtesy during the interview process, how could they be expected to be courteous and professional when dealing with colleagues and clients?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

LOL, Im not offended. Thats just what I currently do. As I said Im changing career paths to make myself happier. I bought a 4 bedroom house at 20yrs old with no help, you dont do that working at Micky D's.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

LOL, Im not offended. Thats just what I currently do. As I said Im changing career paths to make myself happier. I bought a 4 bedroom house at 20yrs old with no help, you dont do that working at Micky D's.

I wrote my original post from the perspective of a business executive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#28]
find out which car wash facilities they frequent.

draw down on them all.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

Yeah, I know. Its still stupid and desperate sounding.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
At the risk of a mini-hijack, I've got a question:

Is it still customary in this day and age of business casual to wear a suit & tie to an interview?  Assume an IT job and a polo shirt and Dockers daily dress code.

My personal opinion is that it makes a good impression and should still be OK, but who the hell knows anymore.

Yup.  It shows respect.  I typically wear shorts, tshirts and sandals to work (Sun Microsystems) and went to an interview on Wednesday with a startup.  I wore a suit.  I find I feel more confident in a suit as well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Is it still customary in this day and age of business casual to wear a suit & tie to an interview?  Assume an IT job and a polo shirt and Dockers daily dress code.

My personal opinion is that it makes a good impression and should still be OK, but who the hell knows anymore.

A tie and jacket are still, I think, a requirement for an interview for a professional position. When I ran my own engineering company, I would tell candidates that we were a casual office, and that they did not have to dress up for an interview. However, 8/10 did. I found that interesting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not just to the interview but when dropping off a resume also.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If its any kind of technical/professional job a suit is mandatory. I also make it a point to get a business card from everyone who interviews me and write them a short note. I thank them for their time, for the opportunity and make it a point to mention something positive from my interview with them. Contrary to the "desparate" comments, it makes a huge impression on most people. It shows your ambitious and through at a minimum.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Contrary to the "desparate" comments, it makes a huge impression on most people. It shows your ambitious and through at a minimum.

Well, I hope you spell better in your thank you notes, and use the right words...that would be thorough.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you do?

Yeah, I know. Its still stupid and desperate sounding.

No, it's not.  It's professional, and mature, and the right thing to do.  And it also shows that you have follow through, and are interested in the job and the company.

I sent a thank you note to my current boss after my interview. I was hired, and  3 years later she had my personnel file on her desk, and the note was in there.  It makes an impression.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top