Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 1:11:58 PM EDT
I just renewed it in April but apparently because I got a motorcycle learners permit the new license expired when the learners permit did.  I'm going to hit the DMV first thing in the morning but I think I just get a paper license until the new one arrives.  Should I expect any problems?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
you don't have another form of gov't issued ID? CHL or passport?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Use your passport.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

you don't have another form of gov't issued ID? CHL or passport?

I have a couple other forms.  CHL and State First Responder.  

I guess the next problem could be the rental car company.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Use your passport.

Unfortunately I do not have one.  Maybe it's time that I do that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I had kinda the same problem, but I went to the DMV a few days before and got the yellow piece of paper. That plus the expired DL with a cut corner was enough to rent a car. Used my military ID for the airport, though, so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
At the airport in Seattle, they'll accept the paper license along with the previous normal one .  I've had to do that twice.  The first time after I moved here when I had my SC license that they punched a hole in and again when I got my motorcycle endorsement.z
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't think they'll rent you a car without a valid driver's license.

Will the paper temp work?  I should probably give them a call :)

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Use your passport.

Absolutely. (And get the passport card too, while you're at it. It makes a handy piece of .gov issued ID for your wallet.)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Of course the customer service at budget is closed today!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use your passport.

Absolutely. (And get the passport card too, while you're at it. It makes a handy piece of .gov issued ID for your wallet.)

I'll have to do that next week when I'm in town.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

At the airport in Seattle, they'll accept the paper license along with the previous normal one .  I've had to do that twice.  The first time after I moved here when I had my SC license that they punched a hole in and again when I got my motorcycle endorsement.z

In some states (like WI) they print the new license on the spot...

Paper licenses seem to be a WA thing - I actually got hassled for using my paper one on the way back from WI (when I switched over from a WI to WA license), because the TSA lady had never seen a temporary DL before...

For those with a military ID, you may be able to rent a car with the combination of expired DL and valid CAC... Many states have a 'license does not expire' exception for military, so long as you have both the expired DL and the CAC on you...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Doing some Google searching is appears that the temp license will be OK for the car rental.  I just need to be on their door step first thing in the morning so I'm not waiting.  Got to drive a couple hours to the airport afterwards.

Also looks like the combo of other ID should be alright.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the old style FL drivers license and they couldn't read the expire date.  I showed them my CCW and they let me through, as it is a state issued id with my picture on it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Where r u flying to?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If anyone's interested, I just got a passport (renewell of an expired one) and it took exactly five weeks with no expediting, and snale mail both ways.  Application can be filled out on-line but must be downloaded and mailed.  Photos at Wallgreen.  I think the fee's up over $100 now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
You won't have a problem getting through security with an expired license. I just got my license renewed last week after it had been expired since May. I've gone through airport security in Tallahassee, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Ft. Lauderdale multiple times each, all without issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think they'll rent you a car without a valid driver's license.

They wont...ask me how I found this out

As far as TSA....I seriously doubt they would even catch it....but I'd have other forms of ID if it were me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
You are not driving the plane are you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#21]
My Fl paper license said right on it: "Not to be used for ID."

A grown man should have a passport. You never know if some rich babe in a yacht will want to whisk you off some day. It would suck to have to say no.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Where r u flying to?

FL

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You are not driving the plane are you?

I asked, they said no.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where r u flying to?

FL

Tell them to call me. I'll vouch for you.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]
In AZ they issue licenses/ IDs while you wait (10-15 min once it's your turn).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where r u flying to?

FL

Tell them to call me. I'll vouch for you.  
Thanks Home Boy, that worked great!  After 48 hours in jail I was right out and on my way!

The temp paper license worked well, I didn't have any issues.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top