Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:37:33 AM EDT
Any recommendations on cool stuff to do?

AAR-- Flew out through houston to cancun. Got in around 2:00, the Mexican customs official was a real a$$hole. Was slamming my boarding passes on the table of the kiosk and when my baggage reciepe fell out I kindly asked him to pick it up which he refused. I asked him again and he grabbed it and slammed it on the table. (weak start) Anyways, stopped at duty free grabbed a couble bottles. The jim bean 750 ml was 18.00 US and Tanquere (sp?) was 21.50. Got a cab from airport to hotel for about 30 bucks and checked into the hotel. Room was excellent! Great AC and outstanding view of the water. The water was everything we had hoped, crystal clear and was very warm. We generally woke up at around 6:00 and headed out to watch the red sunrise over the blue water. On days that the sun wasn't out we took the public transportation into the city (dollar per person each way). It was clean and safe, however we did not ride at night, only during the day. People in the market were very nice, we would walk around downtown with beers in hand and the police did not bother us. The federal police were everywhere, they rode around in pickup trucks with top mounted machine guns. They looked awesome. We only got hasseled once and it was becuase the guy were were buying our dolphin swim from wanted us to checkout a timeshare in order to give us a great deal. There were also alot of Russians and Easter Europeans in Cancun, they were nice however, and on saturday we drank with them on the beach. They drink unlike anyone I have ever met in the states, one of them had 3 bottles of 750ml Gin in about 12 hours. It was insane to watch. Departure had no problems, no extra charges at checkout, no hidden fees or problems. All in all we spent with flight and 4 nights all-inclusive hotel with all the money we spent in the market about $2500. Worth every penny. For those who said stay out of Mexico, I can agree with you that outside of the tourism area is a no-go, Cancun was isolated and the people were freindly. No problems what so ever not even in downtown Cancun. Highly recommend. Feel free to ask questions on here or through PM.

~Dingo
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't get shot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Or beheaded....
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't try to take fire onto the plane.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Bu you should lick prostitute ass and post pictures.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are you staying?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
is this an O.J. thread?

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't go too far out of the tourist areas, unless you appear Hispanic and speak Spanish like a champion.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't try to take fire onto the plane.

I wonder how many people here remember that... lol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
How old and first time for you?  I remember the booze cruise.. sorta.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Hop the ferry, go is Isla Mujares (sp) and spend as much time as possible a Punta Norte.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Drink plenty of water. Don't want to get dehydrated.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Like people have said, stay in the main tourist areas.  The protect it pretty well but the outskirts of town has seen some high profile drug violence.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Go on live leak, look up Mexican cartel videos, enjoy shitting your pants in Mexico, don't get killed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Why Mexico?  There is other beach destinations in the world.  People never listen!  STAY AWAY FROM MEXICO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Cozumel. Platinos.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why Mexico?  There is other beach destinations in the world.  People never listen!  STAY AWAY FROM MEXICO.

There are better beaches here in the U.S. i guess you want to be on that show, locked up abroad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine just got back, and says it was like Ishkandaria when we went through there in 2003. be care. And ... DUCK!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Im 27, headed there with my girlfriend. Going to the Royal Cancun with an all-inclusive package. I'm looking to do some cool stuff like snorkling, cliff jumping etc. Anyone ever been?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Senor Frogs... it's just a touristy bar, that's overpriced.

More than anything if you're at a resort, just try to pickup some hot tourist chicks.  Tourist chicks tend to be slutty.... If you're there with your GF then just try to get her to do some slutty stuff, or perhaps work the 3 way angle, I'm just saying.

Enjoy the weather, go swimming, waverunning, get drunk at your resort/hotel...
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Don`t get on the plane?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#21]
the taxi drivers are crazy and sneaky beware. mexico protects its tourist better than its people. last thing they want is a missing american on the news. but always be on the ball obviously.

senor frogs is fun, an atv trip is awesome if you can get to it.

if you go out at night its better to go with the resort if they offer it. cheaper, free transportation, usually a vip section and open bar at some of the bigger bars/clubs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Stay home.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

go eat some lobster. specifically, go to a place called the "Blue Lobster" (or in spanish, langosta azul). It is freaking good god damn delicious

other than that, topless beaches, senor frogs, deep sea fishing, take a boat to cozumel (its cheap and fast) to go snorkeling OR diving (much better than cancun, trust me). also dont forget to go to Tulum while you still can, Coba is really nice...Xel'ha is spectacular as well. but i would check out the mayan ruins, they are very neat

edit - in fact, you might consider going over to cozumel for a day, and renting a car (they are super cheap, like $25 for a day), and driving around the island. stop at all the little bars along the way. a cool lighthouse on the backside of the island. a nude beach. a rasta bar. the diving is unbelievable. chankanab is extraordinary snorkeling and there is a cool plane wreck you can snorkel/dive there. they have even better lobster houses than cancun. the flea market is much better in cozumel as well, as you can typically barter things down to rock bottom prices.

edit2- MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW MUCH $1 = IN PESOS, restaurants will try to screw you, especially if the currency exchange rate it in their favor.

1 US Dollar equals

12.66 Mexican Peso

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Stay out of Mexico.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Take a lot of $1 bills for tips.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I went to Cancun last July.  We stayed at the Moon Palace.  There was a lot of activities at the resort to keep us busy.  Drinking at the pool all day.  A lot of other people were paying $120.00 for cabs to go into town and back just to go to the flea markets.  We hired the company that provided us transportation from the airport to take us on a tour.  $150 for 4 hours take us anywhere.  We had him take us around Cancun and show us some history of Cancun and the way people lived there.  

After seeing how people lived there, I can see why they are trying to come over here.  I am not saying they should come, but I understand why.  Our poor over here are rich compared to them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay out of Mexico.

He didn't say Mexico, he said Cancun.

For those who haven't been there, what we think of as "Cancun" is like a little slice of America, built out into the ocean, specifically so that tourists wouldn't have to deal with or see anything Mexican.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Im 27, headed there with my girlfriend. Going to the Royal Cancun with an all-inclusive package. I'm looking to do some cool stuff like snorkling, cliff jumping etc. Anyone ever been?

My wife and I honeymooned at the Royal in Playa, which is about 30 minutes south. Best vacation ever. We went on an trip to the Mayan pyramids and a cave to swim. A fun relaxing thing to do if you feel like being lazy is to sit on the beach and have several of "what they're having". We would just point to people with fun looking drinks and enjoy. �� Their food was great too, though it may be different in Cancun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm going in 10 days, for the first time.

Please take notes and do an AAR.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Have fun!   Don't get shitty drunk while out, don't leave the tourist areas, don't rent a car/bike, do tip and check out the scenery, drink only from bottles, hide some "fine" money in your shoe just in case.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#31]
We'll be in Cozumel in 2 weeks, can't wait!  Our 12th trip there, never have felt threatened on that island.  Best snorkeling is on Cozumel, try to see either Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza, if you are into that stuff.  My biggest concern is catching the flu on the plane down, fucking sick gringos!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Askign GD for advice about Mexico is up there with asking GD for advcie about Women, or for a factual, strawman-free explanation of any liberal talking point.

Enjoy your trip, though I'd say go west coast next time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#33]
The wife and I went to place north of Cancun for our Honeymoon called Playa Mujeres.  Its a fairly newly developed area about 30 mins north of the city.

The city of cancun itself is like Mogadishu with McDonalds and Pizza Hut.  Scary to drive through.  We got a "limo" service recommended by the resort and our Blacked out Suburban ran us from the airport to the resort, which was had 3 gates guarded by guys in tactical gear with AK-47s.

Once we got in, the place was amazing.  Quality of the food was top notch, the resort was beautiful and well maintained, drinks were strong, but the staff MADE the trip with how friendly and helpful they were.  I ordered a filet for lunch at the beach just because I could.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The wife and I went to place north of Cancun for our Honeymoon called Playa Mujeres.  Its a fairly newly developed area about 30 mins north of the city.

The city of cancun itself is like Mogadishu with McDonalds and Pizza Hut.  Scary to drive through.  We got a "limo" service recommended by the resort and our Blacked out Suburban ran us from the airport to the resort, which was had 3 gates guarded by guys in tactical gear with AK-47s.

Once we got in, the place was amazing.  Quality of the food was top notch, the resort was beautiful and well maintained, drinks were strong, but the staff MADE the trip with how friendly and helpful they were.  I ordered a filet for lunch at the beach just because I could.

From what I've been able to gather, the Cancun area has actually quieted down some as the Zetas have pretty much driven away all competitors along the eastern supply corridors.  It still remains a major cocaine port, but there's less people killing each other over the proceeds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Day trip to the Myan Ruins.  Well worth the time and money.
Coco Bongo.  I resisted this because I thought it was just a dance club.  I was wrong, it's was a show, and it was awesome!!  Take her there and she'll thank you later
1/2 day fishing trip.  Obviously there's no guarantee, but we caught some big ass fish when we went.
Go barter at the market.  Lots of junk, but the locals are fun.
If you've never done it, go para sailing.  One of the most peaceful things I've ever done.  Can usually do this right on the beach in front of any hotel.
Do nothing on the beach.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#36]
FWIW, this map looks pretty accurate from what I read coming from down there - the region in yellow has ben particularly bad, as the Knights Templar aim to make a name for themselves.  Locals who look to have money are still a far bigger target than any tourist would be.  They can't extort money as successfully from people who don't have family they can reach.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Been going to Cancun every year for 20 years.

The Caribbean beach is incredibly beautiful and folks are for the most part friendly if you are polite in return.
All the hotels are right on the seafront.  You can walk the groomed beach for miles or until you need a mojito
and a hand rolled cigar.  

Within the 'Zona Hotelera' restaurants such as Lorenzillo's  (Since 1683) has great food
and indoor/outdoor dining waterside.  There are even crocodiles in Nichupte' Lagoon  that swim up to be fed.
Lots of great places to dine along Kukulkan Blvd.  All have water purification so mixed drinks are GTG.

Link to more info: http://www.cancunfirstclass.com/cancun-map-eng.asp

Have not met a rude taxi driver but I'm sure they are there.  Most are helpful and speak English.
Hotel concierge can arrange a GM Suburban taxi for daytrips to the various ruins such as Tulum.
All day driver and vehicle will run about $300.    

Along the roadways are occasional Federal Police checkpoints.  
Search stops are random and they are well armed with shotgun or subguns.
Never saw a taxi stopped at these checkpoints for what it's worth.

Downtown 'El Centro' Cancun is NOT the upscale Hotel Zone but it's no border town either.
Maintain situational awareness, don't act like a drunken dick and you'll be fine.

There is cartel activity but they are not interested in you.
If you look for trouble you'll find it. Just like in any destination, avoid prostitutes
and drugs and you'll avoid 95% of the trouble in Cancun.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coco Bongo.  I resisted this because I thought it was just a dance club.  I was wrong, it's was a show, and it was awesome!!  Take her there and she'll thank you later
1/2 day fishing trip.  Obviously there's no guarantee, but we caught some big ass fish when we went.
If you've never done it, go para sailing.  One of the most peaceful things I've ever done.  Can usually do this right on the beach in front of any hotel.
Do nothing on the beach.  

Great advice.

Will I have any trouble in the markets? Susceptable to crime?

How much was the fishing trip?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#39]
There is a tour that takes you to the Mayan ruins, south of Cancun. The end of the tour ends at Xi  Ha or something named similar. It is a large spring fed area that mixes with salt water. Good snorkeling and you can feed the fish, while in the water. Bring a small plastic bottle and fill it with the food (looks like dog food). You can then empty it into your hand while you swim. The fish will follow you everywhere. Cool caves to swim through too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Book a couples massage in your room, good things should follow
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
the taxi drivers are crazy and sneaky beware. mexico protects its tourist better than its people. last thing they want is a missing american on the news. but always be on the ball obviously.

senor frogs is fun, an atv trip is awesome if you can get to it.
if you go out at night its better to go with the resort if they offer it. cheaper, free transportation, usually a vip section and open bar at some of the bigger bars/clubs.

this and go do some snorkeling
fury catamaran will take you out snorkeling and then to a small island and feed you booze all along the way
cheap and fun... please note to look under the catamaran whenever your swimming back to it... for whatever reason
BIG ASS FISH like to hang out under the shadow of the boat. occasional barracuda but they have these big huge things I cant remember what
but they are in the 5 footer range most of them time

pro tip... if you go atving in the jungle be prepared to get ate up by whatever those red mites are that they have down there
they arent chiggers but thats basically what they do.... ate me up on my upper thighs
got them in my shorts lol
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Get drunk at hotel and wait till you get to go home. That place is a fucking shithole. I would rather spend twice the money and party in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#43]
one more thing... under no cicumstances does your GF or wife get a drink from a random.
if you order drinks order hers for her.

although nothing to prove it... my sister was in senor frogs with my parents and thinks she may have gotten slipped something (nothing "bad" happened)
or MAYBE the booze and the sun took her professional drinking ass out

but that story ends up she pukes all over the table, my mother being the weak stomach person she is pukes all over the table with her
just may be the first case of a entire OLDER family getting thrown out of senor frogs
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Been there as well.  Loved it.  Where did you stay?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
one more thing... under no cicumstances does your GF or wife get a drink from a random.
if you order drinks order hers for her.

although nothing to prove it... my sister was in senor frogs with my parents and thinks she may have gotten slipped something (nothing "bad" happened)
or MAYBE the booze and the sun took her professional drinking ass out

but that story ends up she pukes all over the table, my mother being the weak stomach person she is pukes all over the table with her
just may be the first case of a entire OLDER family getting thrown out of senor frogs

what part of cancun was senor frogs at?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do nothing on the beach.  

Great advice.

If by crime you mean overpriced junk, then yes  J/K.....It is overpriced, but they fully expect to barter.  They know it's a tourist experience.  Stick to the big market and you will feel plenty safe.      

It's been several years now, so I don't remember what the fishing trip cost.  However, most of the trips are similar in price and fairly reasonable.  They will probably have someone in your hotel that books all that stuff for you.  If you don't do anything else, go see the ruins.  We went to Chichen Itza which was an all day thing, but it was well worth it if you are at all into that sort of thing.

I suggest taking the bus when getting around in Cancun.  It's easy to understand and the prices are set.  If you take a Taxi, be sure to negotiate the price up front before you get in.  If you don't expect to pay what he asks.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#47]
sit on the beach and get wasted. isn't the only reason people go to shitholes like mexico?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I've only been to Cancun once. I got upgraded to first class on the flight back. I was standing by the gate when the attendant started asking people if they were flying alone. People appeared to be confused since they didn't know enough to Spanish to understand what she was asking. I stepped up and responded that I was and got the free upgrade. It was the first and only time I've ever flown first class. The benefits of speaking shitty Italian and having an ear for Spanish.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do nothing on the beach.  

Great advice.

If by crime you mean overpriced junk, then yes  J/K.....It is overpriced, but they fully expect to barter.  They know it's a tourist experience.  Stick to the big market and you will feel plenty safe.      

safe enough... I walked around on my own no problems
will plus one about overpriced junk, haggling is expected. fwiw a good rule of thumb is half price. they sell those stupid hammocks all day long at 45-60 bucks to cruise ship people. walk in and make a deal something like 2 for $40 they will say no start putting your money in your pocket and leaving and they will take the deal
please keep in mind although it is mexico it is so touristy you have to walk a good ways to get yourself in a shady part of town.

trying to think about senor frogs but pretty much it has a "main street" by the cruise ship port and pretty much any shopping or eating can be done on that street. Taxi's are everywhere up and down it

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why Mexico?  There is other beach destinations in the world.  People never listen! STAY AWAY FROM MEXICO.

I agree,FUCK MEXICO!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top