Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:34:09 PM EDT
Looking to fly over the pacific this summer, most flights are showing a 35-40 minute layover at LAX, to me this seems extremely short, is this normal for that airport?  Am I pushing my luck with a short layover there?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your 2nd flight in the same terminal?  If so, not a problem.

If it's in a different terminal, you'll have to go through TSA again....and at that point you'd be seriously rollin' the dice.

If I had to change terminals, I'd want at least 90 minutes to get to my next gate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a mistake unless you can afford to miss your connecting flight.

30-40 min isn't enough in a domestic terminal, let alone connecting to an Int'l flight. If the inbound is 15 min. late (you can be that late just loading last minute bags or ramp congestion on pushback or arrival).

Why chance it?

TC
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's in a different terminal, you'll have to go through TSA again....
View Quote

That sucks, every airport I've been to once you went through security you could go from terminal to terminal without another trip through the TSA.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That sucks, every airport I've been to once you went through security you could go from terminal to terminal without another trip through the TSA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's in a different terminal, you'll have to go through TSA again....

Lots of airports are actually pretty screwed up and outdated.  And yeah, 35 minutes is probably not enough time at most airports but especially LA given the number of delays I've experienced in just getting to a gate since they seem to like delaying your landing, changing gates or letting you sit there in the plane waiting on a gate.  Needless to say I hate flying though LA.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at Lax a few months ago, came from Phoenix for a connection  to Miami. My flight got cancelled. Not a good experience
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking to fly over the pacific this summer, most flights are showing a 35-40 minute layover at LAX, to me this seems extremely short, is this normal for that airport?  Am I pushing my luck with a short layover there?
View Quote

Outbound?  XXX->LAX->TPAC?  No, I wouldn't do that.  
Inbound? TPAC->LAX->XXX?  No way in hell, not even with Global Entry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You won't make it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

So a domestic -> INTL flight? Might want a longer layover..
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Too short.  I frequently travel internationally through LAX...you'll spend close to that length of time in the TSA queue although some of their remodeling is complete and it is quite a bit faster than it used to be.

It also depends on your arrival terminal:  LAX is shaped like a big "U" with the domestic terminals on the sides, the international terminal forming the bottom of the "U".  Arrive at terminal 3 or 4 (closest to the base) and you can get away with a much shorter interval, but still not 40 minutes.

For some reason, LAX isn't made for walking to the international terminal:  the sidewalks are narrow and usually jam packed.  Add to that Uber will be arriving shortly and I anticipate a whole new level of .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top