Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 4:34:48 PM EDT
Just tested my ABS. I was going about 30 MPH and accelerating. A driver stopped on a side street, and decided NOT to look left to see me.

The driver began to pull out.

I am soooo glad I have ABS!!! I used my horn button to slow my forward progress down, and held the button down longer than necessary. No bump, no scratches, other than all the junk in my car's trunk ending up in the back seat.

So, at this point, completely stopped, I flew the big old bird. Then, I drove off.

Was I justified? Don't people with their heads up their a$$ deserve to be scared shitlesss by a horn, and then have me express what I think of them with my middle finger? Sure, it wasn't life threatening. There weren't kids in the cars. But shouldn't you be made to feel like a dumba$$ for operating a 2000 lb motor vehicle with your sphincter stretched around your skull?

Sorry, I'm still a little hot about it...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
you must live in a nice neighborhood, happens all the time in dallas
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have full coverage insurance, airbags and wear a seatbelt for a reason.
You wanna play with my Expedition? Fine by me, YOUR gonna be on the losing end.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
whoever has the most lug nuts wins
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
whoever has the most lug nuts wins

Yes, the Lug Nut Rule.

If both vehicles have the same number of lug nuts, the Gross Vehicle Weight rule applies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I was slowing quickly today, and I could have stopped fully, but there was a Subaru running towards me, so I took to the turn lane quckly and wasn't smacked.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually just make the "jacking-off" motion at them.

If I'm packin', which is almost always, I never do anything that could be construed as "escalating"; this includes hand gestures like flipping them off. Leaning on the horn extra long to show disgust is OK, I think.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You must have a death wish to do that in this day and age.  You never know what might set someone off and get into what might be a deadly altercation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The horn is a useful tool and if used correctly can convey your concerns to others. I would probably refrain from hand gestures...they can lead to undesirable results.

MT
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I was driving my Dakota today and had an individual in front of me slam on their breaks. Last i checked the car behind me in the opposite lane was about 3 car lengths back. i did a quick check and cut the wheel left to avoid the accident. Lo and behold the car in the other lane had accelerated and i ended up driving them onto the median. Felt bad about it... but this is after all the blue hair state. I'm just glad no one was injured.

Oh and yea ABS is nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
last fucker that pulled that one on me got a passenger side full of grill guard

yes he was at fault.  yes he was high as a fucking kite.  yes i had the most lug nuts.  yes i killed his honda accord.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You must have a death wish to do that in this day and age.  You never know what might set someone off and get into what might be a deadly altercation.

Thank GOD we don't have national CCW, otherwise your silly little bird flippage would have started a two-man gun battle which would have then escalated as more passer-bys came and joined in, eventually leading to an all-out civil then world war, eventually leading to prime real-estate in Antartica due to the fact that everything else is glowing green with radiation!

Yea, gotta watch your finger these days..
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You already lost, you bought a FORD....
j/k
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thank GOD we don't have national CCW, otherwise your silly little bird flippage would have started a two-man gun battle which would have then escalated as more passer-bys came and joined in, eventually leading to an all-out civil then world war, eventually leading to prime real-estate in Antartica due to the fact that everything else is glowing green with radiation!

Yea, gotta watch your finger these days..

FWIW, there's a woman in the hospital in Dallas with a bullet in her because of road rage.  I guess the spectators were in a good mood that day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Flying the bird at someone who just pulled out in front of you...  

Managed to barely restrain myself from doing it today. I just mouthed "dumb bitch" as I went by. Don't know whether she saw it or not, ti wasn't really directd AT her.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
flipping somebody off is asking for trouble. Honking is OK to prevent an accident but flipping them off isnt necessary.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

yes he was at fault.  yes he was high as a fucking kite.  yes i had the most lug nuts.  yes i killed his honda accord.

Fuck man, if your driving whats in your Avatar then hell yes you'll win!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You already lost, you bought a FORD....

j/k

har
har
har

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I feel bad about doing it. Yeah she (Yes, it was a woman with her hubby/significant other in the passender seat) was at fault, but I don't have time to fiddle f__k around waiting for my car to come out of the shop.

My Intrepid vs a Cavalier. I win on lugnuts, but Dodge cars are designed to disintegrate on impact.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
you must live in a nice neighborhood, happens all the time in dallas

+1

Especially East Dallas, AKA Little Mexico. Motherfuckers do that shit on purpose, all the time.

I'm not even kidding.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in an older neighborhood that is very well stocked with mexicans, they take their half out of the middle of the road, i used to flash my lts. at them, now i hang my head out the window&yell,GET THE FUCK OVER! works good so far.W.B.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So far in the past couple of weeks on arfcom; Don't confront someone who jumps the line in front of you at the gas station, you never know how they'll react. Don't stand up to a wannabe gangsta at wal-mart, they might have a gun. Don't flip off a rude driver, it might 'set them off'.

When do you stop being scared to assert yourself? How rude must someone be before you react? Calling you a name? Calling your wife a name? Spitting on you? Demanding your wallet?  What?

I'm quite aware of the pragmatics behing avioding an altercation. I'm also quite aware that the assholes in our society have their actions  tacitly endorsed every day by people who are too scared to offer them any valid feedback.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Flipping the bird and carrying concealed are not compatible.  

In fact, it’s a highly emotional response that can only make the situation worse.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm quite aware of the pragmatics behing avioding an altercation. I'm also quite aware that the assholes in our society have their actions  tacitly endorsed every day by people who are too scared to offer them any valid feedback.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#25]
'Dat's "Road Rage" here in 'Massholesuesetts'.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So far in the past couple of weeks on arfcom; Don't confront someone who jumps the line in front of you at the gas station, you never know how they'll react. Don't stand up to a wannabe gangsta at wal-mart, they might have a gun. Don't flip off a rude driver, it might 'set them off'.

When do you stop being scared to assert yourself? How rude must someone be before you react? Calling you a name? Calling your wife a name? Spitting on you? Demanding your wallet?  What?

FWIW, I agree with you...you gotta choose your battles. I worked as a courier for 7 years in Dallas, I saw shit go down almost EVERY DAY. I've seen people pull fists, guns, tire irons, baseball bats, on each other. There are MF's out there cutting people off  because they are looking for a fight.

I have flown the bird many, many times...but that dosen't mean it's a good idea. If you CCW, you have a responsibility to de-escalate a situation. The bird isn't exactly a de-escalation in most peoples book.  

I have some good road rage stories...but getting into it on the road is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'd still rather drive a Scout than an Expedition.............how much did your expedition cost?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top