Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 11:41:52 AM EDT
Last week I went thru Sky Harbor Airport and was forced to go into a "chamber". Everybody was forced to go thru it, prior to going thru the metal detector. The TSA soup sandwich was bragging about how it is brand new and was the cat's meow, blah, blah blah. Any way, you go in, the clear platic doors close, and a rather quick burst of air is blown all over you. I guess the machine then samples the air for any explosive residues.....

What a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
So what happens if there is gunpowder residue on your clothes from a previous day at the range?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So what happens if there is gunpowder residue on your clothes from a previous day at the range?

Body cavity searches.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Some of the 9/11 airports (Logan for sure, Dulles IIRC) have had it for a while.

On a side note, lots of hot youngins at the airports lately now that Spring Break is out
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dunno, but I was wearing my ankle holster that usually holds my S&W 638 and apprently there was no residue from that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Did someone say "free" blow jobs?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
not so new.. they were talking about doing that back in '02
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope we get these soon, I'll load up on mexican food and granola and cut loose just as the puff of air hits me.

I'll bring that machine to it's knees.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't know about you, but I shower and change my clothes every day!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hope we get these soon, I'll load up on mexican food and granola and cut loose just as the puff of air hits me.

I'll bring that machine to it's knees.....

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I got Blown in SFO! It actually hurt my ears!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And your jacket/coat?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And your jacket/coat?

I have never shot at the range in a jacket or coat, but I guess some people might.  I hadn't thought of that.

Travis
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Once when I was checked for explosives (though not through the device mentioned here) I asked the person running the test if gunpowder residue could set off some alarms, and I was told it was not searching for gunpowder.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
They were gassing you with a Mind Control Agent TM
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Flew just last week, Houston Hobby to Ft. Lauderdale and back. Just the usual BS.

All that money spent on fancy machines... when are we going to start looking for terrorists instead of weapons?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Friend of mine works EOD for the military, he was working with explosives and went straight to the airport after work... You know those patch things they run all over your bags... Nothing, nada, zip. Lemmie tell you, that shit REALLY works
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes. I was flying around the north east all last week.  I think I was in Charlotte when I got the blow job.   No..  it was Harrisburg but it reminded me of Charlotte.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#18]
^

Can't, racism

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I would explain why expended powder remains in a holster wouldn't necessarily trigger an explosives detector, but I'd probably be wasting my time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I refuse to fly anymore. I have heard that cruise ships are as bad now also, so I guess I'll never leave the lower 48 again.

I think it's kinda like gun control: we all suffer because some jerk-off comits a crime.

I'll be damned if I let some dirt bag TSA agent cavity search me!

I know two young lovelys from Scotland that said they both got strip searched and cavity searched on a flight about a year ago. This whole thing is just a license to rape and molest for these TSA pervs!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Those machines are also reported as being able to detect not only explosive residue but chemicals often found in illegal narcotics.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Are they using those nudie x-ray machines yet?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was on some watch list (since my tickets were all purchased with a centrally billed account rather than my credit card) for like 6mo, I got the special screening every time I flew for business.  At least when I was blown at BWI, they didnt make me take my shoes off for the x-ray.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By John Parker:

If you got blown in San Francisco you should thank God your ears are the only thing hurting
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
My only problem with them is that they are slow as hell. The one they use at Lindbergh Field in San Diego takes about 30 seconds a person.

Ed

P.S. I usually save up a fart and see if I can set it off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By John Parker:

If you got blown in San Francisco you should thank God your ears are the only thing hurting

AHHH HAHAHA! I should have worded that a little better!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#28]
They have them at the airport in San Juan PR. No doors that close around you, just a long tube you stop in the middle of for the "puff".

Line seemed to flow relatively smoothly. The rest of security was quick.

Nothing like trying to get the hell out of RDU on the way down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]
In Australia they don't use this, But they randomly stop people, and go over them with a little swipe thing. Which they feed into a machine.....

Whereas, on the other side of the Tasman sea in NZ, they have gone the other way...

AVSEC

The Civil Aviation Authority announced today that several objects previously prohibited from carry-on baggage would be permitted from tomorrow (October 1). They include pocket knives, scissors and nail files with blades of up to 6cm in length, knitting needles and corkscrews. The restrictions are being eased in line with International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) guidelines. The Aviation Security Service (Avsec) says the new guidelines will mean fewer objects will need to be handed over by passengers.

Too much hassle, cost too much, caused too many delays, did nothing of value.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Once when I was checked for explosives (though not through the device mentioned here) I asked the person running the test if gunpowder residue could set off some alarms, and I was told it was not searching for gunpowder.

Jeez what an IDIOT.

I thought they weren't supposed to tell people what the machines were looking for much less what they WEREN'T looking for!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeez what an IDIOT.

I thought they weren't supposed to tell people what the machines were looking for much less what they WEREN'T looking for!

One your assuming he told you the truth and you believed him

Hey I went through the one in Charlotte, and it didn't have doors.  I even bought the cheap one way only tickets and I didn't get any attention.  A few chuckles when I wasc learing my pockets and I said"Hell, my kid swiped my change."

I see the terrorists are winning, they are getting people to change their behaviour.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#32]
They are called ion scanners, and they do work.  Depending on what they are set up for thye can detect expoosives (to include gun powder) and/or drugs.  It's a bigger walk through version of the machine that is used to test for explosive residue on your baggage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Oops, sorry, double post
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:32:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if there is some common household substance that will cause these machines to alarm?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top