Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 6:37:18 PM EDT
Well I have about 40 differnt fishing rods..  4 fly rods.  Forgot that I had a brand new Orvis Trident in the closet.  I had it stored at my dad's.  Wife bought it for my 33rd Bday.  We have been seperated for some time now  I never used it..  

I have a cheap Orvis Clearwater that I cut my flyfishing teeth on and my dad gave me a Redding Red Fly set up he won in a raffle a couple years ago.  Man I gotta get out.  I have cabin fever bad!

So I need some DT line and maybe some new leaders and tippet.  Lets hear some suggestions!  Hopefully it will cure my CF!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought that a thread on "fly fishing" from a naval aviator would be funnier......

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in PA are you located? I need to dust off my fly rods (I have 8 ) for the season.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where in PA are you located? I need to dust off my fly rods (I have 8 ) for the season.

SE Pa.  Not much in the way of great spots around here.  And the decnt places get lots of pressure.  I usually trek out to Somerset PA and fish the Stoney Creek river or Juniata.  The Yough is good if the flow is right.  Stoney Creek is the gem.  Miles of great fishing but access is tough.  You'll walk and wade.  The easy spots get a small share of bait dunkers but the PAFBC stocks large portions with fingerlings every fall.  A local club puts some adults in and the PAFBC also stock adults in a designated section.  There's natural breeding in the creek and it's a freestone that's been cleaned up from AMD over the years.  I know stretches a couple hundred yards long that will keep you catching fish for days, literally.  My best trout have come from there.  A big fat rainbow20" on a Royal Coachman, a similar sized Brown on a #8 Stonefly nymph, and I missed a 20+" fish on a Royal Humpy!  Many many fish in the 15-18 inch range.  June is the time to be there.  But I catch fish from April to October, but it's tough to trade in a bow or shotgun..  There a RR that runs along the creek and I usually hunt grouse in the woods along the creek.  In the fall the head of long pools are loaded with fish taking everything that comes their way.  I figured one day I'd foret the bow for the evning and do some fly casting.  Hammered the fish, one of the most productive days ever.  Only to watch a nice 8pt trot across the creek on a trail where I had a stand hung on the hillside..  Thats how it goes I guess!

There's other creeks in the area that are nice too but smaller.  I usually bait dunk in those.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in the Cumberland Valley between Carlisle and Chambersburg. We have several blue ribbon spring creeks in the valley with great fly fishing. Quite a few are fly fishing only, and are open year round (catch and release only).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I live in the Cumberland Valley between Carlisle and Chambersburg. We have several blue ribbon spring creeks in the valley with great fly fishing. Quite a few are fly fishing only, and are open year round (catch and release only).

I'd like to get out that way.. Yellow Breeches and Penns Creek are a couple I'd like to try.  Dont know much about them other than they are supposed to be great creeks.  Any goog gouge on either.  I hate being elbow to elbow..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The Pierre Marquette River is not 100 ft from my property in mid Michigan.  Beautiful brownies 12-18 inches long and huge salmon during the runs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont know how to flycast for real.

What I do is let a fly lure down a confluence or exit into a lake.  The fish lay there waiting for food to come down the pike, and they take the bait every single time without fail.

You cant do that with a regular rod and reel, you need a fly reel/caster.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my first fly rig in the early 90s.  Couldn't cast a lick.

Almost 15 years later, I still can't cast a lick.  But I did buy a nice Scientific Anglers rig last summer.

When casting, I tend to look like a crazed hairy bald man trying to swat a swarm of bees.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I use fly tackle mostly for the fun of it. I need that Hemingway thing every once in a while. For serious fishing in trout streams, I use spinning tackle. I've got a couple of 40's vintage fly rigs on the wall in my den though. They belonged to my wifes grandfather.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to love fly fishing, then it became trendy
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I used to love fly fishing, then it became trendy

Who gives a shit.  

I love it but I don't fish trout, only panfish, bass, and hopefully pike/musky one of these days.  Once you leave the trout stream I'll bet you'll be one of the only people casting a fly rod, at least I usually am.

Casting isn't too difficult, it helps to know someone who can do it well so they can give you some tips/pointers.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I know.  I started around 13.  I totally taught myself with books and vids.  I used to travel with my grandparents all over the U.S. and Canada, and fly fishing was really an awesome sport to get involved in with such good places to fish.  I'm 33 now, and living in AZ just ruins the whole fly fishing thing.  This state sucks for it, so I stopped a few years back even messing with it.

Btw, I was extremely good at casting and doing everything one needed to be good at it.  I'll never forget the Green River in Utah and the little store up the road telling people to use the usual generic Elk Hair Caddis, Royal Wulff, and others.  When I got there a dozen or so people below the dam were fishing like crazing and not catching a damn thing.  I did a little detective work and discovered the fish were going crazy for some tiny white bug.  Pulled out one like it and BAM!  It was no longer fun to even try.  Every cast was a catch.  I was only about 15 and the adults were the usual assholes - "You better not keep that!"  "You must be using bait"  Blah blah blah.      Once they realized I was C&R and on the up and up, they wanted to know what I was using.  I just told them a black ant!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I use them here in the midwest for bass and panfish. Makes the fishing more of a challange.
I once caught a 6 lb cannel cat while fishing for bluegill with a fly rod. It took 45 minutes to land that fish as I was only using a 2lb leader that was some fun. Sat back to rest after that popped a cold one and planned supper, grilled catfish fillets and hush puppies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I am in a plains state (pan fish, though there is a trout stream or two a few hours away).  I am new to fly fishing.  I am teaching myself.  Best advice to have some success from you experts?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I was into that when i lived in Colo., it was great fishing up there for rainbows. I tied my own and invented some too.Fly fishing ruined me for fishing in Texas, don't have the patience to stand around and not catch shit. Great stuff for sure, Rocky Mtn. streams are one of my greatest memories, true peace and quiet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top