Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/1/2002 3:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2002 3:37:59 PM EDT by EricTheHun]
this would be [u]unacceptable[/u]: [size=4]Kansas High School Biology Teacher Stopped From Feeding Puppies to Boa Constrictors in Class[/size=4] The Associated Press Published: Mar 1, 2002 LEON, Kan. (AP) - A teacher's plan to feed three unwanted puppies to boa constrictors during a high school biology class was stymied after complaints from some parents and tears from some students. Matthew Patton, a teacher at Bluestem High School in this southeast Kansas town, keeps two of the snakes in his classroom and sometimes feeds them during class so students can see how they eat. Three puppies were donated Tuesday by Davy Harkins, a school board member who operates a shelter where animals are put to sleep for the local pound. Patton approached the feeding from a scientific perspective, Principal Dale Harper said. "I'm not sure that he considered the sensitivity of some people when it involved what's considered a pet," said Harper, a former biology teacher. "Very few people have a problem with seeing a rat go." Harkins said he saw the dogs being fed to the snakes as something productive since they would have been destroyed otherwise. He is now trying to find them homes. "I see how many puppies go unwanted every week," Harkins said. "I hate to see any life wasted." Harper said there are campaigns afoot to have Patton fired but there were no violations and the issue was resolved without any puppies being harmed. "I think he does a good job for us," Harper said. "This just happened to be a very sensitive issue." Harper said he was told about Patton's plan for the puppies Wednesday morning by a school official who had received a complaint from a parent. Harper said he asked Patton not to feed the puppies to the snakes and Patton immediately agreed. Harper said he saw a few students crying. "When you have soft, cuddly puppies ... there are people who get real concerned," he said. Patton has been a teacher at the school for about five years and there has never been any serious problems with his teaching, Harper said. Patton did not immediately return a call for comment Friday. See article at:[url]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAB7FC8AYC.html[/url] Eric The(Whew!JustInTime,Too!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:40:32 PM EDT
First Leno, now schoolteachers, what is a good dog to do??? fullclip
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:02:15 PM EDT
PETA freaks.z
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:40:46 PM EDT
Big snake, Small puppy. Strong Survive. I love puppies but if it was between these dogs being destroyed or being food the more natural thing is food. Probably shouldn't be done in class, but in private.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:45:19 PM EDT
I read Korean town! LOL. I thought I had to start a flame fest. Dogs are great but these puppies were going to be killed anyway. These PETA jerks dont seem to have problems with kids getting killed. But shoot a hamster and all hell breaks loose. Where were they for that little VanDam girl?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:55:10 PM EDT
I have no use for snakes (I don't fear them, but they suck as pets go if you ask me) but I don't go out trying to kill them, either. I've never understood why anyone would want a damned snake for a pet. Dogs, on the other hand...I love dogs. I've got a two year old Aussie and I value her more than most people I know. I'll pet any furry animal that'll hold still long enough, too. I wouldn't feed a puppy to a snake to save its life. (I'd be happy to use stray cats, though!) I say, if you must feed snakes, feed them smaller snakes. That way nobody who likes furry animals gets upset and it gets rid of another damned snake. Even rats can make interesting pets. As for rabbits...I had one for a little while. We gave it to my brother who was set up to raise rabbits, but the time we had with that little white dwarf rabbit was pretty cool. That little sucker would curl up with you when you took a nap, right against your neck. What a neat little pet. I wouldn't feed one of those to a snake, either. PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals CJ
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:58:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:02:16 PM EDT
wow, deja vu
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:16:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2002 8:29:21 PM EDT by Shadowblade]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:20:17 PM EDT
I am taking an Emergency Trauma Tech class now, and the instructor said that the most heartfelt gratitude and thank-you cards come from the occasional animal he saved. Some cards came from other states. Its enough to turn people into hardened cynics, if an experienced paramedic wasn't already.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:24:50 PM EDT
ban really big snakes from eating......for the children! [[:)]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:17:25 AM EDT
all the better. i hate snakes with a passion. snake killing just seems to run in my family.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:12:16 AM EDT
Now I'm not saying "kill all the snakes", just "kill all the snakes you see"
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:21:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:28:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:13:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:26:48 AM EDT
How about they grind up the "BIG SNAKES" and turn them into puppy chow...[:D]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:12:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:29:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rabbit9: How about they grind up the "BIG SNAKES" and turn them into puppy chow...[:D]
View Quote
Yeah, only after they were skinned for my next pair of boots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2002 9:09:23 AM EDT by prk]
Originally Posted By Paul: There are plenty of unwanted babies born everyday too. It wouldn't be too much work to arrange for them dropped off at the school. Here in Califronia there's a whole state funded program where a mother has 72 hours to turn the baby back in. Big hungry snake, un-wanted babies - problem soloved. [rolleyes] Just kidding.
View Quote
Thanks, though, for taking time out from your project to create a whole new "reality" series.[:O]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:05:08 AM EDT
Fluffy Would Be One Thing, But....
View Quote
Dead or not, Fluffy takes offense with your subject line! [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/LightningLink%2FFluffyLite%2Ejpg[/img] LL
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:17:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo: My own feelings about puppies and snakes aside, god forbid that your kids learn the hard realities of life and death and how the food chain really works in school. In the real world you are predator or you are the prey. If you are the prey, you damn well better learn how to survive. It's high school, it's about time for them.
View Quote
I had to burn down this flawed argument. So you're saying that allowing a defenseless puppy (no mother) to be fed to a snake is a realistic exercise in "realities of life and death?" In the real world, unless the predator is bigger than mom or dad prey, then mom and dad prey will give a fight for their offspring. No such luck here. So how about we let the adoptive mom and dad (you and me) fend for the puppies? Ok, now there's your "reality of life and death," people like me gave a shit about something and saved the puppies. PS. WTF does watching a puppy get eaten by a snake have to do with graduating high school?!?
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:26:12 AM EDT
I LOVE ANIMALS!!! (there delicious)
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:27:59 AM EDT
You all are a bunch of Sally's. Feed the dogs to the snakes, noone wants them. c-rock
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:37:33 AM EDT
I would have beat the hell out of my teacher if she had attempted this in high school, as would the rest of the class. Puppies can always be given away and if the place holding them wanted to hand them over to those willing to give their time to find these puppies a home we would have done so. I consider my pets as family and give them the same rights that I have, and these puppies could also have these rights in my opinion. I don't believe in liberal crap but I do believe some animals have more rights than others. Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:41:08 AM EDT
harsh "realities" of life aside (glory in them as you will, cruel ones), something about feeding a "higher" life form (mammal) to a "lower" life form (reptile) gives me the willies. it's not like snakes are warm and fuzzy and greet you at the door when you get home. heck, i know that snakes gotta eat, and i know eventually i personally will feed the worms, but frankly i have no desire to participate in this process, thankyou very much.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 12:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2002 12:14:00 PM EDT by NOVA5]
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: Crap, I hoped this was a cat killing thread, and as long as it was started by a Mod, Paul would hopefully not consider the need to lock it. Sigh . . . [V] [}:D]
View Quote
i dont have a problem with feedin it the puppies if they were destined to be destroyed. why not let nature clean up instead of burying the carcass to let it rot? as for cats i prefer them to dogs. goes back to beign 6 years old and chased by then a BFD. for riding my bike down the road. it tried to bite me but a friend road close to the dog (he had a big dog) and it got smart and got out of the way. it also happened that the dog dogded into a car that was parked. ka-thunk.. dumb dog. hitting a parked car? not so bright. i tend to dislike dogs but see little reason for mindless dog killing. now a choice between cat and dog.. see ya later fido. [(:|)] But as it stands either one makes a excellent burger meat [(:|)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 12:09:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LightningLink:
Fluffy Would Be One Thing, But....
View Quote
Dead or not, Fluffy takes offense with your subject line! [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/LightningLink%2FFluffyLite%2Ejpg[/img] LL
View Quote
my first reaction... good god what the hell happened to that furball?!
Top Top