Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2004 4:27:39 PM EST

Flu vaccine shortage article

Why the hell didn't the GOP start blasting Kerry et al when the shortage was first announced??? What better time to attack the trial lawyers and how they have driven the domestic manufacturing of vaccines out of business with lawsuits based in emotion and not fact. We missed a great chance to go on the offensive.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:31:01 PM EST
Good FUCKING god. How many people in the US does the flu kill a year, not counting people with aids, nor the 1918 flu? What a bunch of fucking pussies. Suck it up, puke in the toilet, and force down some goddamn tylenol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:37:33 PM EST
Ok, folks... here's the real truth on the flu shot shit.

Ayn Rand would be laughing her fucking ass off.

See, what happened was in the last decade there's been this major push for "government backed" flu shot programs. And the government ordered SHITLOADS of dosings. But the government used its power to demand that those shots be produced at "bargain prices," and then the major government (i.e., health clinic) and other flu shot programs both subsidezed and artificially depressed the prices.

Any econimic minded person would tell you this would drive producers out of the market, and it did.

And therefore, where there's an unexpected out of market externality (like the fuck up with the British company), there's an artificially low supply in the channel.

A perfect fucking example of what nationalized health care ala Hillary and John F'n Kerry would look like.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:38:16 PM EST
actually it's Clinton's fault if you want to blame someone. They farmed out companies to make a low cost drug for Children. They wanted to find companies to make $800 worth of drugs for $600 (this is a per child price) and well you know what happens when yo go to the lowest bidder, now we are in a pickle if you all worried about the flu, as for me I never get Flu shots, but I guess it means something to somebody
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:04:40 PM EST

"Although vaccines had revolutionized public health, their side effects were prompting suits against vaccine makers. As a result, many companies left the low-profit business. That raised the specter of shortages and a resurgence of such diseases as polio."

Why Inoculating Big Pharma from Vaccine Lawsuits Makes Sense
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:12:13 PM EST
Bush is also responsible for my hang nail and my lack of energy in the mornings.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:18:59 PM EST
That's a BS claim. As stated above, puke and scoot.

When I first heard about this the thought did cross my mind that the batch in England wasn't just defective, but possibly had been tampered with.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:51:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

"Although vaccines had revolutionized public health, their side effects were prompting suits against vaccine makers. As a result, many companies left the low-profit business. That raised the specter of shortages and a resurgence of such diseases as polio."

Why Inoculating Big Pharma from Vaccine Lawsuits Makes Sense

It's interesting that some health insurance companies such as Ethix and Providence refuse to pay clinics for non-mercury vaccine. In fact they insist vaccine with mercury be used. This is kinda a problem for clinics that use mercury free vaccines and do not stock the older less expensive versions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:55:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By OFFSHORE:
Bush is also responsible for my hang nail and my lack of energy in the mornings.

That's pretty cruel of him, but he made my Pepsi flat!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:06:13 PM EST
Just heard a blurb on the radio news about the shortage. They talked to some people waiting in line at some clinic in Kalifornia.

Some geezer complained "This isn't the American way! This isn't democracy! It's more like a back world country!" Just the way he said it you know he meant "It's Bush's fault."
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:14:30 PM EST
Well it was going to happen at some point.

After doing Pharm inspections Im surprised more stuff doesnt have probles due to substandard parts
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:29:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 7:31:59 PM EST by NYPatriot]
I've never received a flu shot & I doubt I ever will.

God we have become soft as a nation... the sheep need their govt. medicine so that the mean old flu bug doesn’t come & give them diarrhea and the sniffles for a couple of days!

How bout this as an idea... live a healthy lifestyle, takes lots of vitamin C, and if you do still happen to get the flu, get some bed rest & then get on with your fucking life!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:50:02 AM EST
Gonzo, you make a FINE point. Everyone stay calm...nothing to see here...just wait til Nov. Then we can shove it in their FUCKING face!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:46:04 AM EST
Just saw Kerry say in front of a bunch of seniors in FL - "If this President can't even get us enough Flu vaccines, how can he defend us against Bio-Terrorism?"

WTF?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:49:38 AM EST
All of this nonsense is nothing more than simple minded people looking for a scapegoat. They want to blame someone (other than themselves, of course) for the problems they face in life and for the fear they feel day to day. GWB makes the perfect target, and sKerry is playing to it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:51:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
All of this nonsense is nothing more than simple minded people looking for a scapegoat. They want to blame someone (other than themselves, of course) for the problems they face in life and for the fear they feel day to day. GWB makes the perfect target, and sKerry is playing to it.

Kerry has to play to it, I have seen no one who likes Kerry for anyother reason then he is not Bush. Thats why he keeps support when he makes an ass of himself over and over.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:59:56 AM EST
We've got people here, supposedly the elderly and young, waiting hours in the cold for a flu shot. How dumb is that?

I betcha the majority of these people would of never had a flu shot but just because there is a shortage now, everyone has to have one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:05:10 AM EST
what
the news doesn't want to say is: "get the nasal vaccine. it's better anyway."
that's not news!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:15:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By NYPatriot:
How bout this as an idea... live a healthy lifestyle, takes lots of vitamin C, and if you do still happen to get the flu, get some bed rest & then get on with your fucking life!!!

+1 Keep your defenses up during flu season.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:20:39 AM EST
If anyone is to blame for the shortage of vaccines, it's the trial lawyers. EVERY vaccine has a certain % of adverse reactions. Which means that a certain % of people vaccinated will end up suing. Vaccine production is among the least profitable pharmaceutical specialities due to this. Kind of disgusting, since vaccines are one of the most positive and valuable medical advancements in history.

But then again, our culture seems to specialize in making useless idiots like Oprah and Madonna rich while tearing down organizations that make real contributions to our betterment (i.e. pharmaceutical companies, energy producers, hospitals, firearms manufacturers, ect).

Ayn Rand indeed!
Top Top