Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2004 5:19:32 PM EST
i'm curious about florida.. why doesn't the state provide wide-spread shelters like some of the bunkers placed on Guam? i find it pretty hard to believe that retirees who want to spen their golden years in florida don't speak up about the lack of emergency services... i bet many want brick homes now.. just ranting about the devastation i see on the news last week and very concerned why the gov't (state/federal) just don't seem to be prepared every year when everyone knows these storms will come? any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:26:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:29:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:33:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 5:34:30 PM EST by ScrubJ]
Um, you ever seen hurricane damage in person. Shit gets leveled! It isn't possible to house complete counties of people.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:42:46 PM EST
no offense!! i should add that me and eglin afb are pretty familiar with each other, i visit everytime i deploy tdy or get a ewo.. all the news channels show how some people hoped that it won't be their time this time, and seemed to place faith in that a major storm won't sit on top of their house.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:43:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By ScrubJ:
Um, you ever seen hurricane damage in person. Shit gets leveled! It isn't possible to house complete counties of people.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:47:51 PM EST
tc6969, i agree...seems like there is a lot a hindsight until the fall season, and the storm last season/years just fades away. any to everyone else, no offense please. i'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, just debating every time a storm hits and devastates florida, my insurance rates in wyoming seem to inch up..any thoughts about this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:49:22 PM EST
338winmag, try witchita falls when my barracks was leveled and it took over 7 hours to dig us out out the basement?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:12:38 PM EST
Mr Sknnr,

Any thoughts? Oh yeah.

Do you know what a “CBS” structure is?

Brick? Ha ha

There are many shelters available. The problem is the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and that place where Ted Kennedy comes from, newcomers.

Many of them move into manufactured homes.

Wise? Probably not.

Still, it’s the best they can do given how much of their income they lost because of the tax policies of their former home states.

Personally, I wish they would stay home.

But they are here, they are now Floridians, and we build shelters for them. Without an income tax.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:23:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:27:52 PM EST
thanx flashman, i wasn't being smart-assed and you answered what i really tried to figure out. here in wyoming we "generally" take precautions here because we know that even if there is 3 " of snow, it may drift up to 4-6 feet depending on where you are. the grocery stores here do a bang-up business during winter!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:36:41 PM EST
tc6969: Al Queda? you mean a guy, right? HSA spends more for us than anywhere else? My question and point is: my point is that you(me/it/we) live in an area that is prone to devastation and upset, and i live in a brick-built home with a built-in fire pit, enclosed basement with a sump-pump, metal shutters to deflect debris and looters, and you live in a manufactured home because of whatever reason. My insurance should go up because you didn't prepare??
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:41:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 7:03:13 PM EST by Paul]

Originally Posted By sknnr:
tc6969: Al Queda? you mean a guy, right? HSA spends more for us than anywhere else? My question and point is: my point is that you(me/it/we) live in an area that is prone to devastation and upset, and i live in a brick-built home with a built-in fire pit, enclosed basement with a sump-pump, metal shutters to deflect debris and looters, and you live in a manufactured home because of whatever reason. My insurance should go up because you didn't prepare??

I have insurance just like you but I am living within my means which means no brick house.
GFY

[personal attack removed - behave! Paul]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:44:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:48:03 PM EST
All you east coasters need to board up and get ready to bug out. J-ville down to Broward need to be getting prepared now, do not wait. We need to tack up the Hurricane preparedness checklist.

If Frances goes across the peninsula..Orlando and others need to be prepped also. This could breathe at the wrong time and be a Cat. 5 when it falls.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:48:45 PM EST
Does a brick house do any good down there? Can't make the roof out of brick.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:49:55 PM EST
Cpt pooby, you misunderstand me and the point.. i'm saying that the state doesn't seem to be able to handle this type of situation (no one is really), and the residents don't seem to be in an uproar or upset on the news, which has died down lately. and what you want to live in doesn't concern me until my bill goes up because you FAILED TO PREPARE, or hoped that through wishful hoping my aunt in Bill, WY should pay for your choice to live in florida (which by the way her kin are from the Port St.Luci area!!) take another hit off of the pipe, guy. I'm just like you but i won't live in anyplace that won't protect me the way i want!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:52:50 PM EST
tc, seems like a lot of interest. maybe you can start a thread on this? i'm still the FNG, and working my way through this site..
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:55:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:59:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By NAKED-GUNMAN:
We need to tack up the Hurricane preparedness checklist.

Anybody got one handy?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:02:14 PM EST
are people in florida preparing to BO, again? i still haven't seen the state gov't of florida revving up for possible disaster. any reports of disease outbreaks, or official declarations of the possibility of disease outbreaks aggrevated by west nile virus? any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:06:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:06:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By sknnr:
Cpt pooby, you misunderstand me and the point.. i'm saying that the state doesn't seem to be able to handle this type of situation (no one is really), and the residents don't seem to be in an uproar or upset on the news, which has died down lately. and what you want to live in doesn't concern me until my bill goes up because you FAILED TO PREPARE, or hoped that through wishful hoping my aunt in Bill, WY should pay for your choice to live in florida (which by the way her kin are from the Port St.Luci area!!) take another hit off of the pipe, guy. I'm just like you but i won't live in anyplace that won't protect me the way i want!!

Look. The State is as prepared as it can be. Plenty of shelters for lots of folks but it aint that simple.

With storms this powerful shit will get destroyed. Several shelters were destroyed/damaged in Charlie including a NG Armory in Lake Wales where my friends were taking shelter.
You have no idea what you're talking about and it isnt the 'State' that is responsible to protect you it is impossible if you are in the path of the storm and there is no way to accurately predict the path. We must be prepared on our own because the state can NEVER protect us from this.
As far as repairing damage and getting aid to people that stuff just takes time and the reason why people arent up in arms over it is because the Governor has it dialed in and aid is getting out as fast as is humanly possible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:20:19 PM EST
i know very well of what i say!! you said i was rich and you can't live like me. like me? it is about choice, and there are many who are not as well prepared as you or me. this isn't TEOTWAWKI i'm talking about, and you don't know what you're talking about. you want to live in a place where you know these storms happen- more power to ya. i won't live in a state where i'm ready to live on my own/protect my family and property only to have 14000+ people show up because elected reps CHOOSE not to provide A-1 protection to them, and you CHOOSE to be there under circumstances i wouldn't (ain't America great, we get to choose where we want to live). I see these storms and i'm concerned about my countrymen suffering because of a lack of planning, not lack of planning by anyone without resources--'cause they'll show up outside my door if preparations aren't made.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:25:19 PM EST
It's not that simple...you have a million people trying to protect their homes/family/pets/belongings..Government is not the cure all answer to everything, including a hurricane. Best thing to do is board up your house, tie down everything possible and visit family up north. In others words..the best prep possible is to leave. This is where it is hardest to convince the general public of impending danger..espceially when you have people who are not native to Florida. They have no idea of the power of a Cane. I have had Canadian tourist tell me it's no big deal..they've been through terrible snow storms. It is not the same as having tropical force to hurricane winds and rain ravage you for about 6-10 hours without stopping. It absolutely brings you to your knees...once it starts, there is nothing you can do...nothing, except hope you ride it out without getting killed. It is one the most terrifying human experiences...pounding wind and rain for hours. it is un-nerving to hear your whole house creak and moan with every blow . You think the world is going to end at any moment.

Bad things those devil winds are. Bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:30:02 PM EST
Paul, i think you understand my point.. what good does it do to have a BO plan if you've got people in the way? in honduras we always had a grief getting out of the AO.. my point can be summed up sort of like, the people may just bug-out to you location and get there before you do!! i would hope that the local/state gov't would either provide enough to keep people in place rather than have them roving over where i would keep my family!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:36:21 PM EST
Naked Gunman, my point exactly!! Keep them safe! Prepare because the storm is coming. Make the elected people respond, provide the means for safety. And if anyone has been in a PAC-RIM cyclone, i BTDT!! Ain't nothing like a cyclone, not a tornado or hurricane.. the cyclones start over LOTS AND LOTS of empy water, so there is no break from the wind or water... i've been through the tail ends of 3 (guam/japan)
Top Top