Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 7:30:47 PM EDT
This may have been covered in the past but could I put a safe in the garage here in Florida and still keep my firearms safe from moisture and rust? I have a small safe and am conteplating upgrade, but there is no possible place to place a larger one inside. IS it feasible or or just go to bed and forget it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If you put packs of desiccant in the safe & periodically pull them out to make sure there is a good coat of oil on them you should be fine.

You can also run a de-humidifier in the garage if it is too damp.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not Florida, but Louisiana, so we know humidity...  Personally, I would never store one of my firearms without A/C.  I know people that abandoned guns after Katrina, and I'm not talking guns that went under water, just ones that had to live without A/C in the LA humidity for a month or two....  Rusted/dead/scrap

I've also seen vehicle/truck guns get pretty nasty after a summer of neglect in the trunk

I wouldn't do it, but its your stuff....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
in a garage w/out climate control in FL? no way!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I figure even with a goldenrod, and desicant it is probably a losing prop.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine did fine in my garage here in GA.  

Do your other tools rust if you leave them in the garage?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Crap, its not that bad. My house didn't have ac for a year, and I used gunlockers at the time. Take them out and oil the surfaces once a month, they were fine.

I have a safe and a goldenrod now, but you aren't going to lose them if you care for them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you have this moved to the Safe and Home Security Forum in the Armory section; lots of good info and you might get better results there.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Im in jax,,, so here is how it would go,,,, 1st year-hey this aint bad just a little bit of oil dripping off  ....  2nd yr. yeah  some small SURFACE rust nuttin to it......3rd yr. (to busy to shoot much)....... 4th year opens safe... OMGWTFBBQ....  rust pile deposit... dont do it, for the kids.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep em well lubed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Boeshield on the firearms and knives, dissectant <sp>... I run it through the oven every 6mo or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top