BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 1:53:27 PM EDT
Man Says Police Beating Left Him Unable To Walk
Police Deny Using Excessive Force

POSTED: 5:42 p.m. EDT September 17, 2004
UPDATED: 5:42 p.m. EDT September 17, 2004

Story by Local10.com

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- The Hollywood Police Department is investigating several of its own officers after a man who was pulled over ended up bruised and bloodied.

Paul Heinlein, 36, accuses police of beating him, and allegedly leaving him unable to walk.

Heinlein's longtime girlfriend, Vickie von Minden, says her boyfriend took a vicious beating by Hollywood police officers.

"They had him facedown and there was about eight officers repeatedly hitting him in the head, kicking him. They had his face down in the ground," von Minden said.

Heinlein was wheeled before a judge Friday morning hours after he was released from an area hospital.

He was pulled over early Thursday morning on Taft Street at A1A, for a broken taillight. Police said Heinlein failed a roadside sobriety test and when they put him in handcuffs, he took off on them.

Officers said Heinlein was handcuffed and when he fell, he injured his face. Then they said he became violent when officers caught up with him.

"It was his decision to violently kick officers," Lt. Tony Rhode said.

Rhode said officers have a right to use appropriate force when suspects become violent, and that sometimes people "do get injured." Von Minden says that her boyfriend didn't deserve to be roughed up, and he didn't do anything to cause officers to use force.

"No, he did not. This is crazy," von Minden said. "I'm in awe over this. It's not right. The guy couldn't even defend himself if he wanted to."

Heinlein had a suspended driver's license and two outstanding warrants, both traffic-related, but nothing involving violence.

He's now charged with DUI and resisting arrest.

The police department is continuing its own investigation into the incident.

Copyright 2004 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Cops are going to be beating someone, why else would they go into that job.  I am just glad they are maiming the dregs of society and leaving me and my friends alone for now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Not enough info to say for sure, but I suspect that it could have been done without nearly as much of a beating.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
They should have beat him within an inch of his life just for DUI.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
not enough info

but honestly,  if your going to kick the crap out of someone,  I think you would come up with a better story then "he kicked at us when he was handcuffed face down"
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
All drunken drivers should get a road-side beating.  However, they need to stop after they have broken both femurs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted "If they have to chase..,..they are bringing a beating."   And, my 2 cents additional.  Based on my experience living in several states, if you have trouble in FL, you generally asked for it.  I am sure there are a couple of jerks somewhere in the bunch of LEO's in FL, but in my experience they are few and far between - haven't really met anyone but decent officers here, just allowing for statistical probabilities.  One notices that after having lived in an asshole colony like NJ, for example.  They don't bother anyone here unless the person is really asking for it.  I love how some tourists complain when getting a ticket.  They talk about how much of an asshole the officer was who gave them a ticket for 60 in a 45 (and they admit to having done it).  Enough lip or more during the incident especially if a chase is involved, and I can really see the can of whoopass opening.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]

California cops beating someone up....how original.

California law enforcement = Absolute power, corupts absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's in Hollywood, Fl not Hollywood, Ca.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Im inclined to believe  that he needed to be restrained, but cops are human too, and I think they took out some frustration on him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The guy sounds like a real winner - OVWI, resisting, suspended license, and 2 outstanding warrants.  I'm sure his girlfriend is as much as a loser as he is.  

Right, I am going to believe anything she says...

Not enough credible info.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
All drunken drivers should get a road-side beating.  However, they need to stop after they have broken both femurs.

Liberal!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
So an intoxicated guy, who is handcuffed, runs from the police......................

And falls? I for one am shocked.

I also don't see in the story any explantion why he can't walk.

My first question would be, how does a handcuffed, apparently arrested guy, get "running" in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Reading is Fundamental
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
..........[yawn]

+500

Another drunk loser complaining about his arrest.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
No reason why EIGHT cops cant eaisly restrain a guy in cuffs without beating him. What a bunch a fricking pussies. Also I gather from the poll choices AR15fan thinks the beating is justified so that makes him a weak little pussy too.

It would be justified if this guy goes wacko and stalks and kills the cops for putting him in a wheelchair.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No, it should be all Drunk drivers recieve a bullet to forehead!  I have absolutely no sympathy for Drunk Drivers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No reason why EIGHT cops cant eaisly restrain a guy in cuffs without beating him. What a bunch a fricking pussies. Also I gather from the poll choices AR15fan thinks the beating is justified so that makes him a weak little pussy too.

It would be justified if this guy goes wacko and stalks and kills the cops for putting him in a wheelchair.

You need banned for those comments you asshole.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thats totally uncalled for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They should have beat him within an inch of his life just for DUI.

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, it should be all Drunk drivers recieve a bullet to forehead!  I have absolutely no sympathy for Drunk Drivers.

You can’t have the police administering street justice. It goes against everything the Republic stands for.  

Excessive arrest punishment is not necessary. The criminal’s punishment is their loss of freedom and that is it. Inhumane treatment is not our right to bestow on criminals no matter what they may have OR HAVE NOT done. This is the burden of society. The burden to ensure that these caretakers of the law do not become criminals themselves during the process.

Law enforcement must honor and respect the Bill of Rights. The disease of street justice becomes systemic once it takes hold and the officer begins to take it upon themself to dispense it whenever and where ever he/she deems personally appropriate.

Any cop who is not going to follow procedure when subduing a suspect is also not going to respect your rights during a traffic stop!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#21]
advocating illegal activities
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top