Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:34:14 PM EDT
The NCAA removed the Florida State Seminoles on Tuesday from a list of 18 college and university nicknames subjected to restrictions because of their hostility to American Indians.

The NCAA said it was recognizing the relationship Florida State has long enjoyed with the Seminole Tribe of Florida, which assists the university with its pageantry and celebration of its culture and supports the school's use of its name.

"The staff review committee noted the unique relationship between the university and the Seminole Tribe of Florida as a significant factor," the NCAA said Tuesday. "The decision of a namesake sovereign tribe, regarding when and how its name and imagery can be used, must be respected even when others may not agree."

Florida State President T.K. Wetherell had threatened to sue the NCAA immediately after its Aug. 5 announcement that the school's highly visible nickname, "Seminoles," was defined as "hostile and abusive" by a committee.

The NCAA said it would handle reviews from other schools on a case-by-case basis. The Illinois Illini, Utah Utes and North Dakota Fighting Sioux are among other prominent school nicknames that remain affected by the edict.

Under the NCAA restrictions, teams with hostile nicknames would not be able to use them in postseason tournaments or bowl games.

Thanks goes to all the ACC/SEC schools and students for sending e-mails/ phone calls/blogs. I heard that it woke them up, more like shook them up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 2:36:26 PM EDT by callgood]
Damn. I was looking forward to the student reaction at the first televised game.

ETA Glad for FSU
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:36:13 PM EDT
The NCAA is a bunch of politically correct college presidents and administrators who care nothing about sports...........the whole thing was stupid from the beginning, as the Seminole tribes of Florida actively give their blessing to FSU
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:43 PM EDT
does this mean that fsu will find a seminole to do the whole spear in the ground thing instead of the white dude smeared with red paint?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:38:27 PM EDT
Seems like a CYA move on the part of the NCAA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:38:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:
Damn. I was looking forward to the student reaction at the first televised game.

ETA Glad for FSU

Lmao..now that would have been funny. Talk about thousands of birds and placards pointed the NCAA's way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:40:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cool-e:
Seems like a CYA move on the part of the NCAA.

And the threat of a multi-million dollar lawsuit over what an african-American, politically correct woman felt was hurting the native Americans in our country.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:45:15 PM EDT
FSU shouldn't drop their lawsuit.

This is simply an effort to get FSU - and Florida's money - out of the situation.

The NCAA shouldn't be doing this - not to ANY of the effected schools. FSU should stand in solidarity with the rest of the attacked schools.

This PC crap has gone too far.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:46:47 PM EDT
The decision would not have an effect on bowl games as they are not NCAA santioned games. It would have affected the Division I-AA postseason as it is an NCAA sponsored event.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:14:14 PM EDT

My wife will be very happy to hear this !!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:15:53 PM EDT
fags
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:18:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 5:19:14 PM EDT by Goonboss]
FSU admin are freaking masterminds.

Get the approval of the tribe (Probably forking over much wampum...Hey, whatever it takes)

Can't crusade for a people who will aid in a lawsuit against you.

NCAA probably saw FSU was willing to go to the wall, and, had a good case. Good retreat by them, but, It sets the stage.

I predict other universities will soon start many "humanitarian" grants to thier Native American namesakes to get them on their side to preserve marketing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:22:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

Get the approval of the tribe (Probably forking over much wampum...Hey, whatever it takes)

NCAA probably saw FSU was willing to go to the wall, and, had a good case. Good retreat by them, but, It sets the stage.

I predict other universities will soon start many "humanitarian" grants to thier Native American namesakes to get them on their side to preserve marketing.

Keep in mind that FSU has had a very strong relationship with the Seminole tribe for many, many years - long before any of this PC crap reared its head.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
My wife will be very happy to hear this !!

I suppose she went to Stanford. Before the Tree

From this:

to this:

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:33:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Keep in mind that FSU has had a very strong relationship with the Seminole tribe for many, many years - long before any of this PC crap reared its head.

I know. I'm in support of FSU. I was being very, very pessemistic there. I laud and think their victory is fantastic. I hope the same for the Illini....It's about respect....

"Redskin"....

Dug their own grave.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:34:15 PM EDT
The tree is hot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:40:10 PM EDT
The NCAA is lame. I've always thought their take on schools using these type of names was stupid. Now they need to allow the other 17 schools to keep theirtraditional names also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:42:41 PM EDT
The NCAA are a bunch of morons... what were they smoking (pun intended)? They miscalculated by pulling the cape of a professional college football team program. FSU has the money to fight back and probably has pubic opinion on their side. Follow the money...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:43:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
fags

<---------- gaspain
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
But would the Seminoles allow their name to be used if they were like the Spartans and lost all the time and only went to the motor city bowl?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:50:27 PM EDT

The tree is hot.

OK. (scratches TX off list of states to move to...)

CW
Top Top