Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 7:00:09 PM EDT
Hello, I am looking for a difinitive answer on a few things...

First, covering the thread topic,
I have recently moved to florida on PCS W/my wife in the USCG. I have researched some of the laws and other information I could find on the internet regarding handgun purchase and CCW issuing. I do have a MI CCW and it carries reciprocity w/FL, I have been informed that members of armed services and dependants do not have to change residence info for voting, and other purposes to remain under their original states authority and rights.

*I have yet to find ANY written ordinance or law regarding stste liscense from FL to purchase a handgun. I am wondering if the law is vaguely written and if I may purchase a handgun on a MI liscense.
*I have been told that you DO NOT need to be a resident to be issued a CCW? If the state will issue a CCW to a non-resident, may that person then purchase a handgun on that permit w/o a FL liscense
(When I speak of liscense, I mean driver's liscense, not purchase liscense, I understand you still need the permit to purchase and wait the appropriate wait time.)

Some other topics...

*I have been told, regarding commerce in your vehicle, that IT IS legal tp travel with a loaded pistol in plain view even w/o a permit.?
*What is the law on transporting said AR-15 or shotgun loaded and in plain view?

If anyone has access to the laws and can post links or IM them to me regarding these issues I would be most appreciative. We all know what type of answers you get from the local gun dealers and gun shows guru's, I wouldn't even bother to ask them.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the link, I have tried the packing.org site and it seems to be down right now.

Maybe the Brady Campaign is working in mysterious ways????
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Due to certain Nazi states limiting what people can possess, you may find FL will only sell to its own residents and residents of certain states.

Your military status isn't a factor as you are then a resident of FL. What you may find a problem with is a FFL that will do the transfer if you only have out of state ID.

For better info, check the Hometown FL forum.

As for driving through states........each state is different and has its own requirements. There is no blanket acceptable way to carry a gun. Not sure what Nazi states you will pass through, but locked in the trunk is always a safe legal way even though it is highly impractical.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]
For the pistol part of your question, Packing.org is online now.  You will find that FL is very pro RKBA. I also recommend asking these questions in FL HTF.

Steve
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Just wondering if there is a reason why you don't just make your domicile here in Florida, there are lots of other advantages to it besides being able to purchase handguns.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responsess, I have gotten all the answers I needed from members here and through IM.

The reason I wasn't sure about just getting FL liscense and making residency is because the wife's PCS wasn't specific for more than 1 yr, I didn't want to go throught the fees and what not if we are moving in 6mos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top