Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 6:53:45 AM EDT
We had a minor flood in our utility room and are replacing the floor.  I had pergo in there but the dogs [who sleep in the utility room] were hard on the pergo.  I'm not too impressed with linolium [sp?] but would like some advice in what to do.  Its a high traffic area.  I mop it daily so it has to be durable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Polished cement! You cant beat it with a stick!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
tile
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Tile would be your best bet. Easy to install and will last forever. Won't scratch or scuff and won't break unless you drop something really heavy on it.

There are so many colors, sizes and patterns to choose from.

HS1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
tile

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I asked the contractor about cement and he said it wouldn't work?  I love the idea of tile but am worried that the tiles might break with dogs running all over them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Ceramic tile with dark coloured (gray) grout.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked the contractor about cement and he said it wouldn't work?  I love the idea of tile but am worried that the tiles might break with dogs running all over them.

No way will your dogs break tile unless they are working out and slamming the weights onto the ground after each set.

HS1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The dogs shouldn't damage the tile, but anything heavy dropped in the room might break one.  My boss in AZ had somebody deliver a refrigerator to his new house and they busted several tiles in his kitchen.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way will your dogs break tile unless they are working out and slamming the weights onto the ground after each set.

HS1

This may be true if the tile is over concrete but from one of the previous posts I have to guess that this is a wooden floor.  

I would still go with a large tile over a 3/4 PLYWOOD underlayment.  Don't use particle board due to the location and the daily mopping.  The underlayment will remove any spring in the floor that might have cracked the grout and the ply should remove any stretching from moisture.  Just my 2 Cents.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Good PEI 4 or 5 tile.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ceramic tile with dark coloured (gray) grout.

Definitely get a darker grout.  Light grout WILL stain.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tile would be your best bet. Easy to install and will last forever. Won't scratch or scuff and won't break unless you drop something really heavy on it.

There are so many colors, sizes and patterns to choose from.

HS1

I agree, Tile is the way to go!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
if it is over wood, it is probably not an issue, but over cement, you might want to get a heating element under the tile - it will be quite cold in the winter
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Do ceramic, and go dark grout.  Maybe darker tile too?  Seal the grout of course.  Use the thin Hardy Backer cement board if you already have thick enough underlayment.  Use the thicker cement board if you need to add thickness for a more rigid underlayment.  The Hardy Backer is water resistant.  A proper install (easy for DIYers) will ensure the dogs or people won't break the tile, unless like has been said before, someone drops a very heavy item on the tile...  I have yet to see a tile break here.

Linoleum sux, and wood or laminates are not a good idea with the water issue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#15]
our floor [sub floor I guess] is the partical board.  Maybe I'll have that replaced first.  It wasn't put in well in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Look into Congoleum Duraceramic

Grout can harbor bacteria.  I had it installed in my bathroom with the sections butted together
and sealed.  No grout.

My contractor said it is virtually indestructable.

And easy to repair/replace if a tile is damaged.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Particle board cannot be tiled on. You must have an underlayment.
If this is a wet area, use a cement board with thinset under the cement
board. Also secure the subfloor again. Screw it down on 6 inch centers.
I do this professionally. Its just a waste of money to not do it the
right way. I used to install in Missoula before moving back to Wi.
Sure wish I could have stayed out there.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#18]
thank you for the info.  I'll study that.  When I pictured redoing my floors I pictured something like this: LINKY
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, pergo is not as tought as it sounds.  I'll be watching this thread for ideas too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Here, if you like the wood look.
http://home.comcast.net/~amhsia/floor1.jpg
This is what we had installed in our dining room. All tile.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Demo particle underlayment.
Install Durock or equiviletnt cement board underlayment.
Install tile.
Grout.
Seal grout.

Here I am at about 1am laying out some tile.

Floor finished.

Tub installed and surround tiled.

We layed about 1000 square feet in my new house, once you get going it isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the tile with cement board underlayment.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree with the ceramic tile. Another alternative may be Terra Cotta tile. Tough and easy to clean.

+1 on dark colored grout. Because light colored grout will get dirty and look terrible. Seal the grout well, it is porus and will absorb fluids. Some fluids really smell. Clean occasionally with an enzyme cleaner. These eat the bacteria causing the odors.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Patty if you liked the Pergo except for the wear, check into it again. They have some stuff out now that is guaranteed for 25-30 years. My dog runs on it all day every day for over a year now, and I've yet to see one mark on it. Not one.

In fact, check to see if the stuff you had is still under warranty and file a claim.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Or you can beat it with a stick!  It is pretty durable!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Another vote for tile. Put it over a good cement board underlayment and seal it well and you're good to go. As folks have said, unless you drop something hard and heavy on it, it'll be there forever. Even if you do, you can cut out the old tile and replace it, not a trivial task but doable.

If you do it yourself, not difficult just tedious to get right.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I was leaning toward Trafficmaster hardwood flooring for our kitchen (2.39 sq. ft. at Home Depot), but, well, my wife and kid are kind of rough on floors and she thinks we might be better off with Pergo.  We can't afford tile so that is out.

Is Trafficmaster a good brand?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#28]
this is a polished concrete floor with a acid stain and a 4" sand bottom border .

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for tile.  Wood just is not that durable.  I'm currently redoing the wood flooring in my dining room.  I've got boxers, and they've totally scratched up the wood.  And these are real wood floors.  Some genius in the 40's decided to leave a 12x8 section unfinished in my dining room.  So now I'm fixing it to get rid of the nasty lineoleum and area rugs.  It'll cost me all of 20 bucks when finished!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
this is a polished concrete floor with a acid stain and a 4" sand bottom border .

img83.imageshack.us/img83/2433/img21597bo.jpg

I wish I had known about this before I had my floors put in.  It was exactly what I wanted.  I saw this done at a friend's house last week who's husband is a mason.  It was very nice and indistructable.  

Patty
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#31]
These concrete floors...

I already have a concrete subfloor in my house. Can I just polish/stain that, or is this something that has to be done at time of installation?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top