Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/5/2002 8:23:47 AM EDT
Pronunciation: [flak-si-na(w)-si-ni-hi-li-pi-li-fi-'key-shên] Definition 1: Holding or judging something to be worthless. Thought some of you might want to start throwing this into your posts about your least favorite manufacturers, rifles, accessories and other matters of importance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:18:16 AM EDT
When I was in high school, my Latin teacher said he would give $10 to anyone who could find the word in print. This was pretty much pre-internet (1990), so it was quite a task. Anyway, I ended up finding the word totally by chance in an Aquarium book I was perusing. They spelled it wrong, but it was close enough. I wish I could remember the context in which it was used.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:43:49 AM EDT
I'll get right on it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:48:11 AM EDT
Bill Clinton is floccinaucinihilipilified.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:23:15 PM EDT
Floccinaucinihilipilification = The longest word in the english language. Nuckles. [smash]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2002 12:31:33 PM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:51:37 PM EDT
Siebenundzwanzigtausantundfunfhundertundachtu­nddreisehn. 27,538 in German, The language with the longest words I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:02:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul: antidisestablishmentarianism
View Quote
"Then I suppose that you will not be offended if I also offer the good doctor my most enthusiastic contrafibularities." "Oh, I'm sorry. I am dyspeptic, spasmotic, even compuctious to have caused you such paricombobulation." "I shall return.......interfrastically." "Leaving so soon, sir? No staying to enjoy your pentagistatery interludicum?" "At once, sir. Anything I can do to assist in your velocitous excomurialization." I LOVE Blackadder! Yeah, yeah, some of the words are so butchered that they probably bear no resemblance to those used in the episode. I won't even BOTHER with the spell checker, though!
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:29:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Nuckles: Floccinaucinihilipilification = The longest word in the english language.
View Quote
i thought it was the longest non scientific word. cuz i think D.N.A. is longer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:33:40 PM EDT
And we get yelled at for Chief Moose being disgrumbled and flusterated... LOL
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:41:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Torf: Siebenundzwanzigtausantundfunfhundertundachtu­nddreisehn. 27,538 in German, The language with the longest words I have ever seen.
View Quote
So true, but check this out! LONGEST WORD According to the Guiness book of World Records, the longest word ever to occur in a literary work has to do with a fricassee, with 17 sweet and sour ingredients, including brains, honey vinegar, fish, pickles, and ouzo. The word appears in The Ecclesiazusae, a satirical comedy by Aristophanes (443-388? BC), an Athenian playwright. In Greek, the word is 170 letters, transliterated into English it is 182 letters. Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhy­potrimmatosilphiopar aomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattope­risteralektryonopteke phalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetr aganopterygon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:14:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARgon:
Originally Posted By Torf: Siebenundzwanzigtausantundfunfhundertundachtu­nddreisehn. 27,538 in German, The language with the longest words I have ever seen.
View Quote
So true, but check this out! LONGEST WORD According to the Guiness book of World Records, the longest word ever to occur in a literary work has to do with a fricassee, with 17 sweet and sour ingredients, including brains, honey vinegar, fish, pickles, and ouzo. The word appears in The Ecclesiazusae, a satirical comedy by Aristophanes (443-388? BC), an Athenian playwright. In Greek, the word is 170 letters, transliterated into English it is 182 letters. [red]Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanod­rimhypotrimmatosilphiopar aomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattope­risteralektryonopteke phalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetr aganopterygon.[/red]
View Quote
better check that spelling Tony! i think youre missing an "s" somewhere![;)]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:21:02 PM EDT
Now where did I put that s? [:o)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:02:18 AM EDT
DNA is Deoxyribonucleic Acid. It's not the longest scientific word, but it is the longest scientific word that I can spell!
Top Top