Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:17 AM EDT
To make a long story short, I moved from my trailer to my house. I had an inside kitten that I adopted. I bathed it with fleabath, put the stuff down the back etc. My son and I have been showering at the trailer while working on the bath here. We went over the Sat. night and he showered while I sat down to sort some brass. I got about a dozen fleas on me. He didn't get any in the room he was in. Today I went over to shower, just a quick in and out, and I planned to do the salt thing today or tonight, but6 I got in the bathroom and had a dozen on me again. I got them off once outside, and left my clothes out on the steps, I bathed here, ( it's working a little, just not the shower), and put the cat out. We've been here in the house about two weeks, and haven't noticed any fleas, and I put another treatment on the cat Sat. night, and didn't notice any on him then, and none today, but still, at this point, he's an outside cat. I'm praying I don't have any here. What can I do here to be sure? I called an exterminator, and I'm waiting on him to call back.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy some food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) and sprinkle it around, dust the cat with it and put some in the cat food on a regular basis.  I have excellent results with it.   I also use a product called Cedarcide Best Yet.  Best Yet can be sprayed in the place and on your legs, and body.  It is Red cedar oil and DE.   Works fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the cat on the anti flea meds. Get some flea bombs and set them off put dIown that flea dust shit you buy at wal-mart and vaccum. No more flea's.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
This may sound crazy but use DAWN dish soap not the anti -microb stuff the regular.  Lather up real good anything man, beast or clothing and let it sit for a few min to kill/drown the fea's.  This works!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To make a long story short, I moved from my trailer to my house. I had an inside kitten that I adopted. I bathed it with fleabath, put the stuff down the back etc. My son and I have been showering at the trailer while working on the bath here. We went over the Sat. night and he showered while I sat down to sort some brass. I got about a dozen fleas on me. He didn't get any in the room he was in. Today I went over to shower, just a quick in and out, and I planned to do the salt thing today or tonight, but6 I got in the bathroom and had a dozen on me again. I got them off once outside, and left my clothes out on the steps, I bathed here, ( it's working a little, just not the shower), and put the cat out. We've been here in the house about two weeks, and haven't noticed any fleas, and I put another treatment on the cat Sat. night, and didn't notice any on him then, and none today, but still, at this point, he's an outside cat. I'm praying I don't have any here. What can I do here to be sure? I called an exterminator, and I'm waiting on him to call back.

The fleas you have now will lay eggs.  You can kill them now and they will seem to come back, which is the eggs hatching.  DE is a good solution until you run the vacuum cleaner, then you have to dust again.  Any good household bug spray will work for now, but you will have to do it again when the eggs hatch.  A bug bomb will also kill the ones you have now but not the eggs.  Sort of a recurring theme there if you look close enough.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Get the cat on the anti flea meds. Get some flea bombs and set them off put dIown that flea dust shit you buy at wal-mart and vaccum. No more flea's.

That's what I'd do too. The bombs will smoke the majority of them the dust will keep 'em away but kitty is the root and needs the meds and a bath.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
We had a flea problem once. We did a top down cleaning on everything. Washed all linens, used flea powders on all fabric surfaces, vaccumed thoroughly everyday always emptying vacuum. The flea goo on the back is good only so often. Flea collars never worked. The wife and I spent about two weeks super cleaning daily. Problem went down and went away with in a week, but I do not like bugs so we pushed harder.

Wife found taking calcium supplements helped stopped them from biting her. No idea if that works or what.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Flea bomb.
2. Vacuum floor thoroughly, immediately dispose of vacuum bag outdoors.
3. Flea meds for your kat.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]
We have the same problem, I am told by the vet that the parasites are panicking because of a cold snap we had here.

That and the midterm elections coming up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]
one caveat: the back of the neck flea treatments shouldn't be used on young kittens... the toxicity may prove to be too much for the little ones.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Baking soda and Borox 50/50. Sprinkle it over everything leave it for 24-48 hours and then run vacuum cleaner every day for a week (change bag).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.+
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#13]
When I had my Himalayan a few years back I used Advantage on her. It was really good stuff, not very expensive. You have to get it through the vetrinarian  though. The fogger pest control canisters worked well also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top