Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/1/2009 12:25:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 12:27:05 PM EST by motown_steve]
OK, I have narrowed my consideration down to two TVs:

Walmart has Vizio 42" Class Eco 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV, VO420E for $648.

Target has Panasonic 42" 720p HD Plasma 600Hz TV - Black (TC-P42C1) for $599.

The reviews on the Vizio are 4 1/2 stars, the reviews on the Panasonic are 3 1/2 stars.

These are the two options that I am looking at. I am currently leaning towards the Vizio LCD.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ETA - Mods, if you want to lock a thread, then please lock the other one. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:27:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 12:29:19 PM EST by GrIlLa]
Just bought a 40" Samsung for the bedroom. Walmart $779.00 sale.

I would say vizio since it's got 1080p
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:02:23 PM EST
Bump for more input
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:04:58 PM EST
Weren't you just posting about having severe money difficulties a few weeks ago? Now it's new TV time?

Go with the Vizio, 1080p FTW.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:16:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By roboman:
Weren't you just posting about having severe money difficulties a few weeks ago? Now it's new TV time?

Go with the Vizio, 1080p FTW.

The $650 I'm planning on spending on a new TV isn't going to save my rental house.

Thanks for contributing your input though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:17:24 PM EST
You aren't going to get any benefit from 1080p on a 42" TV.

If you have a lot of windows in your room, get the one with a matt screen so there will be minimal reflections. If they both are matt, then get the one with the most inputs. You never know what you will buy in the future as a video source. Don't pay any attention to what the picture looks like in the show room. Once you get it home and calibrate it properly it will look completely different.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:49:08 PM EST
I went with a Sony LCD but it also depends on the room. In general, IIRC you're better off with a cheaper Plasma than a cheaper LCD.

Generally, with more brightly lit rooms, the LCD has a brighter picture and probably a better bet. Darker rooms plasma may be the better choice. I know with newer sets it's not as bad, but plasma tech. can suffer from burn-in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:53:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Robert_J:

If you have a lot of windows in your room, get the one with a matt screen so there will be minimal reflections. If they both are matt, then get the one with the most inputs. You never know what you will buy in the future as a video source. Don't pay any attention to what the picture looks like in the show room. Once you get it home and calibrate it properly it will look completely different.

I'm not sure about that. 42" inch is borderline - sit close enough and you might be able to tell. With well-mastered Blu-Ray discs, I can spot the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 46". I sit about 9' away. The 1080p has a clearer picture. 720p isn't bad, but 1080p is better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:09:21 PM EST
Panasonic plasma FTW

go to AVSforum.com and learn why plasmas have the best picture.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:16:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 3:17:26 PM EST by TheGunCollector]
Neither.

Head over to Cnet and check the reviews (editors) and filter out the tv's by price.

$600-$800 Cnet tv's

ETA: Just want you to get the most bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:57 PM EST
Samsung LED LCD.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:24:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By diversmith:
Panasonic plasma FTW

go to AVSforum.com and learn why plasmas have the best picture.

+1
And when you buy any electronics from Wal-Mart ant sure it's a retail model not a made just for Wal-Mart model.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:24:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 3:25:50 PM EST by InfiniteGrim]
Panasonic plasmas are teh BEST plasma out there (since pioneer is gone), plus plasmas are better then LCD.

I dont know where you saw the reviews but they are from people who dont know anything. Once you get teh right picture settings on the Panasonic nothing will beat it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:25:39 PM EST
I have two Panasonic Plasma's (A 50" and 42") I've had them for two full years (starting the third year now) and they have been great.
I would have no problem purchasing them again and the new ones cost less and are better than mine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:27:38 PM EST
Vizio, 1080p seals the deal for me, I would only get 720p if it was going to be a 32".
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:39:33 PM EST
1080P in a 42" TV is pointless and you're basing your research on Walmart shoppers star ratings?

Do yourself a favor and buy the Panny Plasma
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:50:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By thegooch:
1080P in a 42" TV is pointless and you're basing your research on Walmart shoppers star ratings?

I did go in to the stores and look at both models (although I couldn't do a side by side comparison. I think actual user experiences are a better reference than the testing done by someone in a lab at CR.

The Panasonic is tempting, but it sounds like glare will be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:53:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:55:19 PM EST by ChuckD05]
If your cable company doesn't offer a lot of HD channels that you regularly watch.
Go with the 720p.
480 lines of resolution stretched to 720 doesn't look nearly as bad as 480 stretched to 1080.

ETA:
Originally Posted By motown_steve:

I did go in to the stores and look at both models (although I couldn't do a side by side comparison. I think actual user experiences are a better reference than the testing done by someone in a lab at CR.

Do you really watch TV in the bedroom when its not dark?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:54:50 PM EST

Changing the bulb every year at $200 a whack is more of an issue, IMO.

Fuck plasma.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:55:41 PM EST
Most LCDs can't keep up with motion. Watch some pro sports on one to check.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:57:02 PM EST
Projector FTW!

Measure your screen in feet. Not inches
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:58:49 PM EST
Fix your poll....

You can get the Panasonic 1080P PLASMA right now for $699...

So for $50 more you can get a real TV rather then a Cosco HACK special of a Visio..
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:02:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 5:03:15 PM EST by fishngrits]

Originally Posted By Emoto:
Most LCDs can't keep up with motion. Watch some pro sports on one to check.

My Sony LCD has no problem with sports/motion blur.

Of your choices, I'd get the Panasonic. I don't know enough about Vizio to trust them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:02:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 5:02:41 PM EST by fishngrits]

Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:03:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 5:04:16 PM EST by InfiniteGrim]

People screw with the settings all teh time so that wont help at all.

FYI vizio is good, but is a mid range LCD.

Plasma>LCD

Panasonic is a high end plasma.

My friend prefers my 42" 720p panny plasma over his samsung 40" 1080p, so do I.

As for glare my plasma is under a double window, when you are viewing it, there is a bright ligth to your left and to your right, and there is a windows on the right wall, only 6-7 feet from the plasma. My couch is L shaped and no where do i have glare issues, plus with and LCD at larger angles you wouldnt be able to see the true colors.

Also for some reason SD content on a plasma looks 100x better then sd on LCD, most of my channels are SD and they look great.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:18:53 PM EST
I've been TV shopping for about a month now. My 7 y/o plasma is acting up and not likely repairable. It used to be very clear that plasma was the better option for picture quality and value. Now? Not as easy to determine. There are good arguments for either. The LCD will use considerably less energy. Off angle viewing is much less of an issue than it used to be –– almost not worth mentioning. If you get an LCD make sure it is 120hz and not 60hz. The refresh rate will play a big factor in your viewing experience of HD broadcasts or media.

Plasma still wins in picture quality and off angle viewability and clarity in rooms with direct sunlight –– but not by much. Generally, you get better bang for the buck with plasma these days. The price of quality LCDs is coming down, but plasmas are still cheaper.

Longevity is where LCDs offer a definitive advantage. You may get a burned out pixel or two over the years, but the over all picture quality should remain in the upper end of "serviceable" for at least a decade. Plasmas –– you're lucky to get 6-8 years and they aren't easy to service if something does go wrong.

I'm probably going to go with a 46" plasma, but I haven't decided for certain yet.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:14:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 10:06:12 PM EST by Buck_Naked]
I spent a fair amount of time researching the pros and cons, looking at tvs in the stores, reading the reviews at AVS forums, etc before I made my descision, but in the end feel like I learned a lot in the process. I would be more than happy to share what I learned if it might help.

When I first started looking at TV's, I was sure I was going to go with an LCD and thats what I started looking at. Mostly entry level stuff as I didn't want to spend a bunch of money, I had heard all the negatives about Plasma, etc...

As I started looking at TV's, I noticed during fast paced action, sporting events, movies with a lot of effects, etc, that the 60Hz LCD's weren't really cutting it as far as picture quality goes. The motion blur, the look of the out of focus background in a fast panning scene, it just didn't look right to me... I felt like I had to move up to a 120Hz screen to get an acceptable picture quality, and the price was going up quickly in the process.

I then started looking at Plasmas, and felt overall the picture was much more pleasing and natural looking, at least to my eyes. Everyone has there own perception, tolerance for certain effects and the like. I also found out that being ignorant can be somewhat blissful. If you don't know there is an issue, you don't look for it, and therefore you may not see it... but for me, the picture quality was no contest in favor of the Plasma...

As I started looking at Plasmas, I started looking at the different models and the differences between them. You may want to look at how you intend to use the TV in deciding what TV works best for you. I generally watch mostly movies on DVD, and Blue-Ray was going to be a major consideration, I generally watch just a small amount of scheduled TV. And I don't do any gaming on the TV, if you do that may leave you leaning more towards a LCD rather than a Plasma. Because movies and Blue-Ray is my primary area of focus, 1080P was important for me. Some will say you won't notice much of a difference between 720p and 1080p depending on how far away you sit, and again your own eyesight and perception of image quality. For me it was going to be a 1080p capable TV if for nothing else, at least the peace of mind of having it, and now there isn't enough of a price difference not to get it...

With the Panasonics, they use a different panel between there lower end and the middle and upper range of there models. The S1 and higher use a much more energy efficient panel than the lower models, its a 1080p panel, and it also has a much less reflective screen, reducing the effects of glare in a brightly lit room. After spending a lot of time going back and forth over models, I finally went with a 42" Panasonic S1, and couldn't be happier with the decision. Picture quality is amazing, and I got it for a great price. $799 including a nice Panasonic Blue Ray Player.

I would highly recommend this TV over your two choices, and I will let you in on a little secret. Sears is going to have this TV on sale for $649 on Black Friday....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:15:27 PM EST
This is an actual serious question?

Panny plasma or a fucking Vizio tv? Seriously?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:47:03 PM EST
I'd go with the Panasonic, simply due to their reputation for producing stuff that doesn't break. Nobody does "reliable" better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:15:17 PM EST
VIZIO a no name taiwan LCD versus a plasma from a very good company. I'll take the panasonic anyday.

But if you really want a LCD go with Samsung, panasonic. maybe sony but never vizio, LG.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By ronin556:
VIZIO a no name taiwan LCD versus a plasma from a very good company. I'll take the panasonic anyday.

But if you really want a LCD go with Samsung, panasonic. maybe sony but never vizio, LG.

Actually, Vizio is an American company and they are the top seller of flat screen TVs in the country.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:58:26 AM EST
The Vizio is rated better on consumer reports. HD picture quality, SD picture quality, and Viewing Angle are all rated as Very Good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 6:02:46 AM EST by tyman]
Originally Posted By ronin556:

Actually, Vizio is an American company and they are the top seller of flat screen TVs in the country.

Only because of cost. Mainstream America doesn't care that other TV's outperform it (at higher prices)....they just want a flat-screen TV at a cheap price.

If Pioneer made a Kuro plasma that cost $100 less than comparable Vizio, the Kuro would be the top seller of flat-screens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:05:20 AM EST
Plasma FTW

the Vizio has a refresh rate of 60hz which will cause bluring with fast motion video. The plasma has a refresh rate of 600hz - no blur at all
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:10:27 AM EST
Vizio LCD which runs cooler and 1080
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:10:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 6:12:45 AM EST by EXPcustom]
Vizio.

I got a 40" flatscreen Vizio LCD at my house that has not worked in about two years, come and pick it up, its free.

The cost to fix it is almost the same as a new one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:27:58 AM EST
Hey Steve, I have a similar model to the Panasonic. Mine is the TC-P42X1. I love it.

We went from a 12-14 year old Sony 27" to a 42" and the difference is amazing. I honestly think there is less glare on the Panasonic than on the old Sony.

I checked a lot on avsforum and highdefforum before purchasing and Panasonic is one of the top names in the HDTV market. Vizio doesn't have a lot of feedback but they don't seem to be too bad either.

As far as 1080 or 720, unless you are doing a lot of Blu-ray, most cable and dish companies are broadcasting most if not all HD programming in 720.

After buying the Panasonic we put the Sony in the bedroom. After several months the wife wants a HDTV for the bedroom. I am looking for the Panasonic TC-P50X1 to drop in price and put it in the living room and move the 42 into the bedroom.

As far as a mount look at Monoprice.com . They are much cheaper and work well.

I hope your purchase goes well.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:35:06 AM EST
Samsung LED-backlit LCD. Everything else is rubbish.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:35:48 AM EST
I went with a 47" Visio LCD and have not regretted it.
It is near a large, north facing window and the only time the screen washes out is in the late afternoon when the low sun comes directly in and hits the screen.
I bought it about 2 years ago and have had zero issues, some of the PS3 games rock in 1080p.
I did pay ~1300 for it but they have come down quite a bit since then.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:35:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By nick9:
Hey Steve, I have a similar model to the Panasonic. Mine is the TC-P42X1. I love it.

We went from a 12-14 year old Sony 27" to a 42" and the difference is amazing. I honestly think there is less glare on the Panasonic than on the old Sony.

I checked a lot on avsforum and highdefforum before purchasing and Panasonic is one of the top names in the HDTV market. Vizio doesn't have a lot of feedback but they don't seem to be too bad either.

As far as 1080 or 720, unless you are doing a lot of Blu-ray, most cable and dish companies are broadcasting most if not all HD programming in 720.

After buying the Panasonic we put the Sony in the bedroom. After several months the wife wants a HDTV for the bedroom. I am looking for the Panasonic TC-P50X1 to drop in price and put it in the living room and move the 42 into the bedroom.

As far as a mount look at Monoprice.com . They are much cheaper and work well.

I hope your purchase goes well.

Nick

A buddy of mine just got a 1080p Vizio despite my advice to get a plasma.

He comes over to my house to look at my 3-4 year old plasma and is like 'I think my tv is broken, all the colors look crap compared to your tv'

I take a look at his tv and its just the typical over saturated, overbright crap that you get with most lcds

Vizio is junk compared to the panasonic plasma, shame that most people responding to the poll have been taken in by lcd marketing
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:40:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 7:41:44 AM EST by grayparatrooper]
I have had a pansoic plasma for 3-4yrs. No problems awesome pic still looks as good as the day i bought it and that price is dirt cheap. Nothing really broadcasts in 1080 anyway so unless you get blue ray and movies its likely you wont noticed much difference. I personally jsut dont like the larger picture on the lcd's theyare getting better but the plasma just look alot cleaner/crisper imo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:45:17 AM EST
HH Gregg flyer came Sat.

3 day Sale 11/5-11/7

LG 42" Plasma $548.71
LG 50 Plasma $694.87

Samsung 1080P LCD HDTV /w 4 HDMI inputs
40" $694.87
46" $888.63
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:51:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By kmh:
Plasma FTW

the Vizio has a refresh rate of 60hz which will cause bluring with fast motion video. The plasma has a refresh rate of 600hz - no blur at all

excellent advice^^^^^

Panny is a tier 1 TV manufacturer.....Vizio is not even close.

Took my Moms 42" Vizio plasma back to costco when it the speakers started vibrating and red flecks were popping up all over the screen. Got her a Panny and even she said she could see the huge difference in picture quality.

GO TO avsforum.com AND LEARN SOME THINGS ABOUT TVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trust me on this

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:53:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Robert_J:

Utter bullshit...

Wow
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:54:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By xpired:
The Vizio is rated better on consumer reports. HD picture quality, SD picture quality, and Viewing Angle are all rated as Very Good.

I wouldn't place one iota of confidence in CR for electronics reviews.

Go to avsforum.com and learn from true videophiles that have accurately calibrated and tested TVs

Top Top