Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 1:57:02 PM EDT
Guns Magazine 2006 Combat Annual pg.94

Remington M24A2 with sound suppressor, Aramid Stock, monster scope (looks to 50mm obj) with huge sunshade
AND
and attached Surefire light (one of the larger ones M600?) with pressure tape switch mounted just in front of the bolt handle.

This isn't the first time I've seen this.  Surefire's most recent magazine has several pictures of rifles similarly set up.

Enlighten me ARFCOM...otherwise I'll attribute this kind of thing to Asshat writers.

BTW:  I know better than to buy this kind of drivel...I'm sticking to S.W.A.T solely from now on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
might be useful if the rifle had a bayonet also
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a light mounted on one of my long range setups.............I use it to shoot coyotes in the dark of the night.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
$$$$$$$

It's SureFire trying to sell lights.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not? If it's your primary weapon put a light on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Snipers - real snipers - frequently operate in total darkness at ranges under 4m. A surefire is very useful for precision riflery at those distances. Don't ask me how I know. I could go to prison if I answered.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't ask me how I know. I could go to prison if I answered.

Cowboy up and take a prison sentence for the team! How do you know?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Snipers - real snipers - frequently operate in total darkness at ranges under 4m. A surefire is very useful for precision riflery at those distances. Don't ask me how I know. I could go to prison if I answered.

I've read a few anecdotes regarding Carlos Hathcock's kills...some as close as 10 ft

I'm no sniper, but wouldn't illumination (especially 125+lumens) immediately disclose your position?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read a few anecdotes regarding Carlos Hathcock's kills...some as close as 10 ft

I'm no sniper, but wouldn't illumination (especially 125+lumens) immediately disclose your position?

Um... yes.

It makes a nice target for return fire.  The purpose of an extremely bright light in CQB is to not only identify your target, but to blind your opponent and make it harder for him to return fire.

If you extend the range to 50 meters or more, the blinding effect goes away and you have just made yourself a target.  The only method that works well at this distance is to use the light momentarily, move, shoot, use the light, move, shoot, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#10]
so I guess the general consensus here is that the combination is pure asshattery and should be banned?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so I guess the general consensus here is that the combination is pure asshattery and should be banned?

If a long range rifle is going to be used at night, it needs a night vision scope, not a flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
$$$$$$$

lol...obviously.

in their mag "Combat Tactics" there are some rifles pictured with as many as 3 monster flashlights, an IR illuminator, red laser.

got to be at least 20 pounds of cowbell on some of those rifles.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yep.  It is only allowed on the Airsoft boards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Some units use the IR illuminator mounted to their sniper rifles because the base of the round will reflect the IR light, making an erstaz IR tracer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Some units use the IR illuminator mounted to their sniper rifles because the base of the round will reflect the IR light, making an erstaz IR tracer.

I'd like to see that in person, I bet that is cool as hell.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I need to write FMG publications and G&A for a full refund.

pure misrepresentation...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I need to write FMG publications and G&A for a full refund.

pure misrepresentation...

Don't get your MARPAT panties twisted in a knot over it. I am sure police sharpshooters could make good use of illumination.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How does that work with the recoil of the rifle, plus the trajectory of the bullet, Plus being a human and not being perfectly still.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does that work with the recoil of the rifle, plus the trajectory of the bullet, Plus being a human and not being perfectly still.

It's not an IR Laser it is an illuminator, so it has a pretty large area of coverage.  Your are talking yards as range increases.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're "human" (your word, not mine), maybe you aren't real sniper material, Nancy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, that's the thing. We read about the "Glamor Boys" with their 1200 yard kills and such, but that's child's play. The real work - the stuff you never hear about - happens where a MOA is less than a micron. That's where men do their sniping. A guy I know did 2 tours in 'Nam with a Winchester Model 70 in .308 with a longitudinally mounted 300 power microscope and a 6-cell coon lamp duct taped to the barrel. It wasnt easy work, but it had to be done.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots o' bullshit in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Likely used to hunt at night, not to kill haji's at night.

Is it legal to hunt by spot light at night?  I've heard about it often enough.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I would not want to be using an IR illuminator if the enemy is
equipped with even rudimentary NV, like the Draganov 'scope
being used by the BG's over in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, that's the thing. We read about the "Glamor Boys" with their 1200 yard kills and such, but that's child's play. The real work - the stuff you never hear about - happens where a MOA is less than a micron. That's where men do their sniping. A guy I know did 2 tours in 'Nam with a Winchester Model 70 in .308 with a longitudinally mounted 300 power microscope and a 6-cell coon lamp duct taped to the barrel. It wasnt easy work, but it had to be done.

LOL

This has been a topic of discussion for me a few times in the past.

I didn't have much faith in Guns and Ammo to begin with, but after reading SureFire Combat Tactics, I'll never buy their stupid rag again.  The Scott Reitz article about "urban sniping" is what really got my goat.  He seemed to have a high opinion of himself and his methods, most of which involve lashing giant SureFire lamps onto precision rifles with 90mph tape and paracord, because according to the article, only newbies actually use M1913 rails to do that.  

I have heard a lot of people contrarily tell me, "No way, Scott Reitz is a REAL professional."  Maybe he was, but I'll not be taking classes with that dumbshit any day soon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you look at most rifles used by both the line units and HSLD unit, you will notice IR lasers and illuminators on them.   The PAQ-4 and PEQ 2, not to mention the PEQ-4 are well represented in use in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#28]
what if they are giant IR spotlights?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
$$$$$$$

Or it's a writer trying to justify his sample SureFire light from the Company.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

An active-IR 'detector' does not equate to NV, rudimentary or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have heard a lot of people contrarily tell me, "No way, Scott Reitz is a REAL professional."  Maybe he was, but I'll not be taking classes with that dumbshit any day soon.

- People around here never cease to amaze me.  Skip his classes if you want....its only your skills that will suffer
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Real snipers all use the highspeed Rio Linda Surefire...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top