Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 12:57:14 PM EDT
Car guys, mechanics, Jeep guys:  It is that yearly monthly holiday again, Cherokee repair day!  There will be beer, cursing, and bleeding to celebrate!

my Jeep money pit is getting a new radiator next weekend.  Is there anything else I should replace while it has its guts ripped out in my garage?  I mean anything!  If I am going to have it in my garage I want to get as much done on it as possible.

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport- 4WD - I6 engine - 140,000 miles - daily driver - 5 inches lift

Water pump is fairly new, charging/starting system is new, serpentine belt is fairly new, fuel filter is new, plugs-wires-cap-rotor get replaced in 6 months, Trans was serviced 4000 miles ago, trans case has new fluid, radiator and engine flush as soon as radiator is on, K&N air filter, belt idlers just replaced.

I will also be replacing/rewiring the heater switch and blower motor.  Link

Thanks.

And here is a pic.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a good look at your harmonic balancer and make sure the outer ring isn't "walking" off the inner hub.  Also check on your serpentine belt idler pulley.
If an automatic take another hard look at your transmission cooler lines.  Make sure you have some extra snap connectors.  Some use all metal ends and some have plastic & o-ring insets.  I think the replacement inserts is P/N 83504447.
See if the Rear Main Seal is leaking yet.
Is the tranny mount sagging and causing your engine pipe to rattle on the crossmember?
I had the same year and the same color.  Good rigs!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Change out the PCV.  They get clogged really easy...cheap fix!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Radiator? That's it?

My latest under taking......

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Radiator? That's it?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/UHSALTRIFLE/DSCN2845Small.jpg

Hehe, the engine is leaking from the valve cover and the rear main seal.  It is in line for a rebuild/replacement but I can still get another 10,000 mile out of the current engine.

How hard is the engine swap??
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Radiator? That's it?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/UHSALTRIFLE/DSCN2845Small.jpg

Hehe, the engine is leaking from the valve cover and the rear main seal.  It is in line for a rebuild/replacement but I can still get another 10,000 mile out of the current engine.

How hard is the engine swap??

What?  140k miles is nothing on these I6's.  I've had several of them with more than 220k miles and they were still running strong when I sold them.  Changing the rear main seal isn't hard, neither is the valve cover!  
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The engine swap is EASY. I am actually suprised how well it has went. I didn't need help removing the engine, I did putting it in.

I left a bearing (for a manual tranny and I have an auto tranny) in the end of the crankshaft on the used engine so that fucked me all up. The flywheel wouldn't mate to the torque converter. I either had to pull the engine out or the transmission. I pulled the trans. If it weren't for that screw up I would have been done a long time ago.

The old engine has 259,000 on it. It EASILY would have went to 300k if my brother hadn't let it run out of oil.

The valve cover gasket was broken in three parts. The valve cover bolts were not even finger tight. It may have a rear main leak too. I believe a piston skirt came apart, but it still turns over fine and the cylinder walls are still looking good for the miles.

I snatched it up for $500 plus $400 for the engine!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top