Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 1:17:22 PM EDT
Fifth Phoenix Officer Shot In Line Of Duty In Six-Day Span

Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) -- A city police officer was hospitalized after being shot three times by a driver following a traffic stop, authorities said.

Officer Matt Morgan was shot in the leg and left shoulder and also in his protective vest, which police said probably saved his life in the Thursday afternoon incident.

Morgan was conscious and talking to police investigators Thursday night at an undisclosed hospital, where his condition was not released although authorities said he was expected to survive.

Morgan was the fifth city police officer to be shot in the line of duty in a six-day span.

Two officers were killed and a third injured Saturday night in a shootout at a Phoenix apartment complex with a suspect who later committed suicide.

On Wednesday night, an officer in the Phoenix Police Department's tactical team was shot in his protective vest by a man barricaded inside a home.

Police said Morgan pulled over a vehicle that had incorrect license plates and then exchanged gunfire with the car's driver after having a gun aimed at him.

The unidentified driver was shot twice and his condition was not immediately known.

Information from: The Arizona Republic

[conventionalwisdom] Most cops will never even draw their gun in the line of duty[conventional wisdom]

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
that sucks, prayers go out to the slain officers families
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn that's rough
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
not good.  hope the latest officer is ok, as well as the others of course.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
damn! that's been a bad week for the department.

i don't know why people are so ready to pull the trigger nowadays. i guess they think they've got nothing to lose?

my condolences to the families of the officers killed and wishing a speedy recovery to the injured.

Campy, my theory on crime goes something like this.

There is actually LESS crime now than in the preceeding 40 years.

However more of it is committed randomly.

They are more people that are willing to use extreme violence to commit crimes today than ever before.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
there's a lot of peices of shit out there nowadays
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
according to the gang violence training we get at work it's only going to get much worse. both inside prison and on the streets.

I'm right smack in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I can tell you that if I were in LE, I'd be wearing some level of protection everywhere on duty but the station.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm...  I can't help but wonder if the shooters are DUer's that are coming unglued.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can tell you that if I were in LE, I'd be wearing some level of protection everywhere on duty but the station.

Why not the station? You never know..the gear becomes part of you ! learn to live with it and love it...spend your own money to get the best..
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
They need to get tougher gun laws in AZ.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
there's a lot of peices of shit out there nowadays

Way too many they need to be thinned out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Phoenix sounds like a war zone lately.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

with open carry being lawful there you would think it would be the safest place in America.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

with open carry being lawful there you would think it would be the safest place in America.

Let's just be grateful it is legal there, otherwise the situation would probably be even worse. At least the people are given a chance to protect themselves.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#17]
+1

Quoted:
Let's just be grateful it is legal there, otherwise the situation would probably be even worse. At least the people are given a chance to protect themselves.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I'm sorry.

Regardless of the state of Arizona's open carry provisions, we gun owners really can't carry in public, lest we be branded cowboys and maniacs.

God knows we wouldn't want to offend to sensibilities of the sheeple at large by showing them scary guns. Arizona may have at one time been safer because of this, however, this concept has been neutered by gun grabbers and even those within our ranks that dare not offend the sheeple. Apparently it's more important for them to trade away their rights and the rights of others in some ass backwards attempt at appeasement, even though history shows that to be a path to failure and tyrrany.

For more information on this subject, reference the following thread by SinistralRifleman:

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=264340

Read some of the responses there, and you tell me why more people in Arizona don't carry, open OR concealed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Damnit... prayers sent to the families.

I hope they nabbed everyone involved  

- BG
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not the station? You never know..the gear becomes part of you ! learn to live with it and love it...spend your own money to get the best..

My thoughts exactly. Look how police stations are targeted in Iraq. Stations do not a safe haven guarantee; it just gives you a more secure  fire base to work from if engaged, with a larger supply of weaponry to draw from if given the opportunity to do so. With the exception of correctional wings on Sheriffs Departments, most LEO buildings are not hardened construction.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They need to get tougher gun laws in AZ.  

You should be banned from this site just for suggesting that!

Besides, You are probably just jealous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top