Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 11:20:59 PM EDT
I thought everyone knew about carbon monoxide poisoning............he killed half his family

Five Die From Carbon Monoxide After Using Generator in Texas Apartment
By April Castro Associated Press Writer
Sep 26, 2005
ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB7RP7G3EE.html
BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) - Quanishia Haynes gave a friendly honk as she drove past her father's apartment Monday morning, just hours after he returned to southeast Texas after fleeing to escape Hurricane Rita.

Haynes realized something was wrong the instant her 12-year-old sister came out the front door vomiting. She and her boyfriend rushed inside and found the bodies of her father, his girlfriend's sister and three children.

The five were killed by carbon monoxide from a generator they were running indoors after the hurricane knocked out power. The deaths raised Rita's death toll to seven.

After finding the bodies, Haynes said she and her boyfriend started pulling everyone from the apartment onto the sidewalk.

Neighbor Terry Jackson was overwhelmed by the scene. He had just returned home to pick up some belongings after evacuating to Houston with his family.

"It's too much. This is just too much," he said. "I left (my family) in Houston this morning, and I come back to see kids die."

Coleman's girlfriend and an 8-year-old survived. They were hospitalized in critical condition.

Haynes said her father had evacuated to Mississippi but returned to Beaumont when their money started to run low and no help could be found.

"The only reason he came back, nobody was helping," said Haynes, a 25-year-old computer school student. "If they hadn't come back, none of this would have happened."

Coleman, a construction worker, apparently had tried to get out of bed and was walking to the door when he fell, she said.

"He was a good daddy," Haynes said, fighting back tears. "He was always in our life. He didn't deserve this."
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:51:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 11:56:07 PM EDT by Bobby_the_Hun]

Originally Posted By 22bad:
I thought everyone knew about carbon monoxide poisoning............he killed half his family

Five Die From Carbon Monoxide After Using Generator in Texas Apartment
By April Castro Associated Press Writer
Sep 26, 2005
ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB7RP7G3EE.html
BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) - Quanishia Haynes gave a friendly honk as she drove past her father's apartment Monday morning, just hours after he returned to southeast Texas after fleeing to escape Hurricane Rita.

Haynes realized something was wrong the instant her 12-year-old sister came out the front door vomiting. She and her boyfriend rushed inside and found the bodies of her father, his girlfriend's sister and three children.

The five were killed by carbon monoxide from a generator they were running indoors after the hurricane knocked out power. The deaths raised Rita's death toll to seven.

After finding the bodies, Haynes said she and her boyfriend started pulling everyone from the apartment onto the sidewalk.

Neighbor Terry Jackson was overwhelmed by the scene. He had just returned home to pick up some belongings after evacuating to Houston with his family.

"It's too much. This is just too much," he said. "I left (my family) in Houston this morning, and I come back to see kids die."

Coleman's girlfriend and an 8-year-old survived. They were hospitalized in critical condition.

Haynes said her father had evacuated to Mississippi but returned to Beaumont when their money started to run low and no help could be found.

"The only reason he came back, nobody was helping," said Haynes, a 25-year-old computer school student. "If they hadn't come back, none of this would have happened."

Coleman, a construction worker, apparently had tried to get out of bed and was walking to the door when he fell, she said.

"He was a good daddy," Haynes said, fighting back tears. "He was always in our life. He didn't deserve this."

No, stupid, if he had common sense, none of this would have happened.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:07:40 AM EDT
It is important to get a CO detector with battery backup because you never know when a bird with build nest on top of your heater vent causing high concentrations of CO gas, or you do something stupid like this. They are money well spent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:15:54 AM EDT
[rant/on] This may make it seem that I am cold not caring, but am I the only one who is getting tired of people whining that the bad things in their lives would not have happened if only someone would have given them a free handout. I could be taking things out of context or just getting tired of the press trying to turn everything into a tragic event. I think it would be nice if they would focus on and report more of the positive things that happened. The paragraph that set me off on this rant is:

People need to take more responsibility for their own actions and survival. If they had used the generator in a proper fashion they most like would be alive and well, but people cannot admit that they may have made wrong choices or just had bad timing and rush to blame all their ills on the gov or others.

I am not saying that people should not help each other, but the help should not be expected or coerced. People need to plan to help themselves and others if able, help if any is available should be just an added bonus. [rant/off]

I think this is a tragic event and my sorrow and prayers go out to the family.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:33:41 AM EDT
Have you seen the paydays people have been getting from not admitting their mistakes?

This girl will most likely be suing the manufacturer, red cross and bush for killing her family...........
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:44:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raskwon:
[rant/on] This may make it seem that I am cold not caring, but am I the only one who is getting tired of people whining that the bad things in their lives would not have happened if only someone would have given them a free handout. I could be taking things out of context or just getting tired of the press trying to turn everything into a tragic event. I think it would be nice if they would focus on and report more of the positive things that happened. The paragraph that set me off on this rant is:

People need to take more responsibility for their own actions and survival. If they had used the generator in a proper fashion they most like would be alive and well, but people cannot admit that they may have made wrong choices or just had bad timing and rush to blame all their ills on the gov or others.

I am not saying that people should not help each other, but the help should not be expected or coerced. People need to plan to help themselves and others if able, help if any is available should be just an added bonus. [rant/off]

I think this is a tragic event and my sorrow and prayers go out to the family.

100% in agreeance...!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:50:09 AM EDT
Darwin strikes again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:52:43 AM EDT
I dont get it? I started running a generator three days ago in my house. No problems so far. Thing is though i think there must be a strong gasoline smell on me cause since then everyone has been rude to me. I asked a guy the time and he walked right by me. I asked a person at the market for change and they pretended i was'nt even there. I was waiting on line for the bus, i was the last person, and when it was my turn to get on he closed the door and took off, What an asshole! Also since then I noticed I have'nt had the urge to smoke, eat or go to the bathroom for 72 hours. Anyone here know what could be wrong with me??
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:15:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By t-stox:
I dont get it? I started running a generator three days ago in my house. No problems so far. Thing is though i think there must be a strong gasoline smell on me cause since then everyone has been rude to me. I asked a guy the time and he walked right by me. I asked a person at the market for change and they pretended i was'nt even there. I was waiting on line for the bus, i was the last person, and when it was my turn to get on he closed the door and took off, What an asshole! Also since then I noticed I have'nt had the urge to smoke, eat or go to the bathroom for 72 hours. Anyone here know what could be wrong with me??

You might be dead, I hope(for your sake)that you either lived a good life, or really like hot weather
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:15:18 AM EDT
Suffer the little children...

Dead because someone is a fucking idiot.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:41:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FiveO:
Suffer the little children...

Dead because someone is a fucking idiot.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:46:51 AM EDT
Saddly, natural selection at work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:50:28 AM EDT
I'm just not able to feel bad for morons this morning. The children, well, I still don't feel bad, but it is a sad loss, those other fuckers, oh well, fuggem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:03:07 AM EDT
Let him who never made a mistake cast the first stone.

(I wonder where I got that from?)

Folks, this is not the proper time to bash the dead, if there ever exists a proper time to bash them.

Learn from this grievous mistake, and move on.

Eric The(LongOfTooth)Hun
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:07:50 AM EDT
t-stox,
It might be your cherry red color thats frightening people
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:12:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomislav:
Darwin strikes again.

How somebody could be so stupid is beyond me. Sad the kids had to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:13:37 AM EDT
i wouldnt be surprised if he got the generator from some government agency or relief organization. unfortuantely for them they will probably be sued for not providing proper training or warnings for generator operation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:37:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 4:42:42 AM EDT by FLGreg]

The deaths raised Rita's death toll to seven.

Why?

These deaths are as a direct result of some ignoramus that didn't/couldn't read the multiple warnings and not as a result of any part of the storm (wind, falling/blown debris, rising water, ect. ect.).

Quanishia's (go figure) quote is typical of the take-care-of-me, nanny state mentality.

Why is this crap happening straight down racial lines?

I only saw a few items on the news last night - the interview with "Quanishia" where I heard her utter that quote in the article and blame someone else for her tragedy on camera and another interview where these Bayou Cajuns who had lost everything. The only thing they had to say was, "Well, I guess I'll have to build farther inland next time." No "where's my debit card, the .gov owes ME". Sad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:56:13 AM EDT
Burning gasoline=CO+h2o
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:08:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By t-stox:

You might be dead, I hope(for your sake)that you either lived a good life, or really like hot weather

Dead? I dont think so. I've got too many things i still have to do in life like do it with 20 YO blond triplets. I took my temprature two minutes ago, hold on........................................
Huh, stupid thing must be "stuck" at 70 degrees.
I have to do it the rightway so I'm gonna log off now to give myself an anal reading.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:09:55 AM EDT
I think the clinical term is rectal temp.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:30:05 AM EDT
Some people are not simply blessed with genes that contain IQ.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:35:08 AM EDT
Come on they teach that shit in middle school. Carbon monoxide poisoning that is. Common sense is still being ignored in public and private schools. I think more people would benefit from a little more edumacation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:35:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combatvet:
Come on they teach that shit in middle school. Carbon monoxide poisoning that is. Common sense is still being ignored in public and private schools. I think more people would benefit from a little more edumacation.

Schools not cool.........he was probably "smokin in the boys room" when they taught about co2
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:40:08 PM EDT
ya know... like this one time......

we were like reallly cold ya know....

so we decided we need some heat in the apartment...

so we thought about it.

where does heat come from????

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we builded us a big ol' fire in the middle of the living room.

woowheeee!!!!!

sur­e did get warm.

For a little while anyway.

remember the 'father' that showed his kids how to unplug a drain line with COMPRESSED PROPANE GAS????????
3 dead in that incident IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:54:10 PM EDT
Sad. They should (and probably do) have information on CO with generators. They should make them read it (this engine produces CO and can kill you, your family and the dog if not vented properly, ...refer to instructions) and sign it before they buy it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:57:00 PM EDT
Im an insensitive prick, I know....

Darwinism at its finest.

Fokker out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:57:22 PM EDT
"Rita's death toll" my ass. Those five had nothing to do with Rita, just plain idiocy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:58:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:
Sad. They should (and probably do) have information on CO with generators. They should make them read it (this engine produces CO and can kill you, your family and the dog if not vented properly, ...refer to instructions) and sign it before they buy it.

I think the generators already have warnings ON them that say not to run in an unventilated area
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:02:09 PM EDT

I think the generators already have warnings ON them that say not to run in an unventilated area

Ah yes, but Al Sharpton himself should jump out of the packaging to warn the unsuspecting family of the dangers. Surely the vast white-right winger conspiracy groupies that put those directions together are preying on the fact that minorities don't recieve the quality of education needed to be able to comprehend the warning message....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:09:42 PM EDT

you mean the LARGE stickers in RED and YELLOW with the warnings on them and the scary stick figure diagrams?????

Those warnings???????
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
Learn from this grievous mistake, and move on.

There is nothing for a normal person to learn from this event.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:52:52 PM EDT
SHIT!

*frantically scrambles to shut off the generator*

*computer loses power*

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:43:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By swiseuf:

Ah yes, but Al Sharpton himself should jump out of the packaging to warn the unsuspecting family of the dangers. Surely the vast white-right winger conspiracy groupies that put those directions together are preying on the fact that minorities don't recieve the quality of education needed to be able to comprehend the warning message....

I guess thats why they only put the directions in english(and pictorials), to oppress the underpriviledged
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:44:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:

you mean the LARGE stickers in RED and YELLOW with the warnings on them and the scary stick figure diagrams?????

Those warnings???????

Apparently that is not enough, maybe a recorded warning that cannot be shut off............
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:46:30 PM EDT
stupidity kills...

We had the same thing happen in Memphis when we had some 100mph straight line winds
take out most of the electricity.

LB
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:55:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
It is important to get a CO detector with battery backup because you never know when a bird with build nest on top of your heater vent causing high concentrations of CO gas, or you do something stupid like this. They are money well spent.

Make sure you get a good one. I bought one I thought was a good one a few years ago, and the thing kept going off. I finally had the utility company come in with their gear and do a sweep; they couldn't find anything, and the CO detector has sat unplugged ever since.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:07:23 AM EDT

Hey, at least we have one less household to cut welfare payments to!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:09:14 PM EDT
Looks like we had another one in Montgomery county..........
Top Top