Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 4:16:35 PM EDT by rogue007]
Monday January 16th will be my first gym-going adventure.

60 lbs. is my goal, these are my stats..................240, 5'10"

I want to be around 180, my main question is this, when is working-out going to be more beneficial?

Morning?

Mid-day?

Evening?

Also, I primarily want just fat loss......not strength training or not alot of muscle gain.
First I just want to just burn off weight, then I can tone and build muscle..........

what do I do to just burn off weight? Cardio perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:35:09 PM EDT
I've read evening is more beneficial, but I can't remember the source to provide you with backup.

Also, I primarily want just fat loss......not strength training or not alot of muscle gain.
First I just want to just burn off weight, then I can tone and build muscle..........

Build up muscle first.
Muscles burn calories / fat.
So the more muscle you have, the faster you burn fat.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:40:26 PM EDT
thanx, sounds good, makes sense

Hell, one of my main reasons for working out is to look good in a tac vest and a drop-down leg holster
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:41:44 PM EDT
for fat loss goals, early morning workouts are the most beneficial, from what ive seen and read and experienced.
here is how its supposed to work. while sleeping you are fasting, your body digests foods eaten during the day...u wake up in the morning on an empty stomach, workout and your body uses fat stores for energy...
if you workout during the day or nite then basically you are burning the calories you have taken in during the day...day or nite workouts are better then nothing but from everything ive seen early morning sessions are most beneficial.
also, keep your eating in moderation...high protein, moderate fats and a lower carb intake...keep sodium down and drink lots of water...
this is simply a basic overview..
good luck with it though
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:44:08 PM EDT
make sure to get hopped up on red bull before you workout and take along a gallon of water.

kidding. kidding.

Just stick to it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:33 PM EDT
From what I Ihave noticed is that nothing will benifit you as much as good old fashion running. If you go to the gym, skip the muscles for a couple weeks till you can get a mile a day down pat. Then use that mile a day as your warm up and lift weights. I got in my best shape this way.

P.S. - Things are different for every person you will talk to, people have better results with there own way, but the one thing I am confident about is not to piss away your time at the gym on a bike or ski looking thing, just run or jog, then start doing it at an inicline.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:02 PM EDT
A google search on general fitness would probably be more useful, and I think it fair to mention that a lot probably depends on your age and current physical capabilities.

Here is what I have come to understand (which could be correct or incorrect, so cross reference):
-time of day is largely a matter of when YOU have time

-on the other hand, consider that in the early AM, you have already processed dinner the night before, and are therefore not merely working off your last meal, but instead burning fat reserves

-I don't see any reason why you can't reach your goals, and achieve some balance--in other words, I think you should do cardio as well as strength training. Pick something semi-arbitrary (say a mile run, max pushups and situps in 2 minutes) to gauge where you are, and then develop a plan to build from there. Set reasonable goals, and make adjustments to your plan as you go along. You'll have to google the details for how to do this.
-the main idea though, is to work and then recover. If you lift on Tues/Thurs/Sun, and run MWF, and rest on Saturday, you won't be working the same muscles all of the time, which is important.
-eat an apple or other similar piece of fruit before a meal (or all meals, if you don't mind fruit that much). This will reduce your appetite due to bulk, and you will therefore lose weight rather easily.
-BE VERY DELIBERATE--analyze, plan, execute, adjust, repeat. DON'T go out there and run yourself into the ground, get discouraged and quit--de-training sets in in as little as one week (in other words, you'd be back at zero). Stress injuries or just sheer exhaustion will set you back, so watch it.

ETA: see, somebody else agrees with the morning workout idea too...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:56:00 PM EDT
here is my schedule for my day............

I wake up around 4 or 5 pm (thats right), I get online to keep my business up to date and to fill purchase orders.
I sell car/home electronics online, watch some TV and spend time with my girl before she goes to sleep.
Then about 1:00am I go to work at my "real" job, I am a contractor for the Dallas Morning News.
I get home about 6 or 7:00am and see my GF off to work, then it is sleepy time for me...........process starts all over for me again.

I would like to work-out as much as possible when i wake up in the morning for me, well it is the afternoon/evening for you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:04:34 PM EDT
Whatever time of day it is, "mornings" workouts will be good.

Be careful of gym memberships, they're like cell-phone contracts.

Consider as well, that you can get in very good shape with out gyms or weights at all (example: ), just using your own weight as resistance. If you work from home for long enough, periodically take a break to just knock out 10-20 pushups, or some other exercise.

Pay attention to what your body is telling you..if your knees aren't what they used to be, consider getting in the pool for cardio.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 7:09:10 PM EDT by rogue007]
this is how I got so outta-shape................

I used to play high-school football.............my senoir year I was hit real bad. A black guy from Bryan Adams
hit me so hard that I got a compound fracture in my left femur (bone was out and everything). My recovery went well
but I spent the remainder of the year home-schooled and at home watching TV all the time.
9 months at home made me a complete couch potato, I went from 180 to 240-250 in eight years, not bad
but not in shape at all.

I feel ashamed and disgusting.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 7:19:34 PM EDT by GTLandser]
Well I would wager you had some decent habits formed when you trained for football in highschool, so now all you have to do is re-discover those habits. And if you were just riding on your youth then, it's time to develop new good habits.

Don't beat yourself up when you had a freakin' compound fracture. That'll put ANYBODY down. And, you're doing the right thing by making a normal living. Things fall by the wayside when you're trying to keep the lights on. You might lose some TV time out of your schedule from now on, but you WILL be better off for taking care of your fitness, both now and in the future. Fitness is an investment. As such, it behooves you to think long term.

ETA: Actually, you might not lose any TV time at all if the gym has TV's on the treadmills! How sweet would that be?!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:22:04 PM EDT
I have HDTV Tivo
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:25:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:
I've read evening is more beneficial, but I can't remember the source to provide you with backup.

Build up muscle first.
Muscles burn calories / fat.
So the more muscle you have, the faster you burn fat.

Big +1

People always say, "I don't want to get bulky."

They think that simply by lifting heavy they will end up like bodybuilders. It takes a super, super long time to get like that, even half of that......oh....and a few strategically times injections as well....

Build up muscle and the fat will go away faster...and you will look better faster as you loose the weight.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 7:48:48 PM EDT by Tonkaman]
At the stage you are in right now, don't worry about the time of day you should work out or any of that kind of stuff. Just block out a convienient time every day and start your program. Start out easy for the first week or two with something like 10 minutes cardio, then 10 minutes weights,10 cardio, 10 weights, etc. You will start to get very hungry which means your metabolism is increasing, which is good. It's very important now to control your diet, especially portion size. Gradually (over several months)work into 1/2 hour cardio and 1/2 hour weights, with increasing weights, increasing reps and increasing variation of exercises. When you get up to an hour total each day, think about changing your program to stimulate your metabolism again. You can usually do this by changing your cardio from jogging to swimming or by doing pushup/pull ups/dips instead of lifting weights. Read up and try different things until you get into a groove. You will see results if you move more and eat less. I garontee it! Good luck.

Oh yeah - most of the other posts gave great advice. The main thing is do something regularly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:09:37 PM EDT
I personally can't work out in the morning because my body is too depleted of carbs throughout the night. I work out after work, usually around 5:30. That way, my lunch is fueling my workout and I have a post workout protein shake immediately after my workout. Make sure to intake approx. 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight when lifting hard. Watch your caloric and fat intake as well.

You definitely need to build more muscle to speed fat loss, as muscle burns fat. You should get on a lifting regimen, go to bodybuilding.com and check out high intensity training. I have been doing high intensity for a while with awesome gains in strength and overall muscle mass. It takes massive dedication and intense concentration, but it is worth it. Also, never neglect aerobic excercise. All around fitness is important. I would recommend 2-3 days of lifting, spaced apart for recovery, and inbetween these days 2-3 days of cardio, 15-20 minutes to start and gradually working up to 30-40 minutes. You will be amazed at the changes in your body. Just don't overtrain! I can't stress this enough! Your body needs recovery days to build new muscle. Try to fit in at least 2 recovery days a week. Your body will thank you. Here's a link to some H.I.T. or High Intensity Training articles,

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HITPrograms

This site is an absolute wealth of info and should help you get motivated.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:16:22 PM EDT
The simpliest, most effective way to loose weight and feel great is written in this easy to read book.

LINK

Patty
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:17:51 PM EDT
Cardio and eat right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:29:59 PM EDT
Morning before breakfast for cardio. You won't have to burn through so much blood sugar and glycogen so you can start stripping fat faster. Also when you eat your breakfast it will go to filling your liver back up with glycogen instead of putting it to fat.

Weight lifting and what not in the evening because your muscles will need the food energy you ate all day. You can have a small meal after or at least a MetRX or protein drink.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:30:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lefthandblack:
I personally can't work out in the morning because my body is too depleted of carbs throughout the night. I work out after work, usually around 5:30.

I've found that too - morning is problematic, because I'm usually too tired, then I have to east something to get energy, workout, and eat some more.

Early evening works best for me because I've eaten a good lunch (or dinner), been able to digest it, and still have energy to fuel my workout.

I guess the ultimate best time for working out is whatever works best for them - their energy level, available time, and ability to do it consistantly - which is the key.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:36:21 PM EDT
I lost 20 lbs in 21 days by working on a cardio machine and sticking to 400 cals a day.

Whatever floats your boat.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:51:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
I lost 20 lbs in 21 days by working on a cardio machine and sticking to 400 cals a day.

Whatever floats your boat.

- BG

That is extremely dangerous weightloss. Very hard on the body. The goal should be no more than 1-2 pounds a week.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:55:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

400 calories a day? For 3 weeks?

Damn, that sounds dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:29:39 PM EDT
I was 230 lbs. Im now at 190lb, I would be 185lb if I gave up drinking completely but Im not ready to. You have to find a routine and be dedicated to it. I hit about 210lbs and stayed that way for a few months untill I started doing cardio. I made sure I sweat alot so I was always wearing alot of clothes during my work out. Right when I woke up, I hit the treadmill ,I wouldnt even drink water, I just put it in my mouth and spit it out untill I lost that morning cotton mouth feeling. At first I walked a mile, then I walked a mile and jogged a half a mile on top(im a smoker also.) then I got up to walking a mile and jogging a mile. Within weeks I was at 200lbs. The other half is watching what you eat. With me all I focused on was my breakfast and lunch, and not eating dinner too late. Even if you still eat unhealthy food, not eating passed 7-8pm will make a difference. With your routine I really recommend you getting a physical trainer at a gym. And adding a morning work out if you want to see fast results. Right now I feel great, like im in my prime. But I know if I quit smoking cigs and really cut out beer out of my life, who knows how much better I would look and feel. I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel disgusting and ashamed, always keep that in your mind when you hit the gym. Another thing is, dont think after you hit your goal that you can go back to eating and living how you used to. You will blow up like a blimp.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:01:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mark159:
I was 230 lbs. Im now at 190lb, I would be 185lb if I gave up drinking completely but Im not ready to. You have to find a routine and be dedicated to it. I hit about 210lbs and stayed that way for a few months untill I started doing cardio. I made sure I sweat alot so I was always wearing alot of clothes during my work out. Right when I woke up, I hit the treadmill ,I wouldnt even drink water, I just put it in my mouth and spit it out untill I lost that morning cotton mouth feeling. At first I walked a mile, then I walked a mile and jogged a half a mile on top(im a smoker also.) then I got up to walking a mile and jogging a mile. Within weeks I was at 200lbs. The other half is watching what you eat. With me all I focused on was my breakfast and lunch, and not eating dinner too late. Even if you still eat unhealthy food, not eating passed 7-8pm will make a difference. With your routine I really recommend you getting a physical trainer at a gym. And adding a morning work out if you want to see fast results. Right now I feel great, like im in my prime. But I know if I quit smoking cigs and really cut out beer out of my life, who knows how much better I would look and feel. I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel disgusting and ashamed, always keep that in your mind when you hit the gym. Another thing is, dont think after you hit your goal that you can go back to eating and living how you used to. You will blow up like a blimp.

Thanx guys I will try to talk to the guys at the gym tomorrow I walk alot already and need to cut out some
of the bad habits......like smoking and drinking. Its not like I eat completely unhealthy, I eat good but portion
wise I eat to much at one time because I now eat but just once or twice a day. I will report back with
what advise I get from the trainers and see what is a good conjunction of training.........

thanx again, we need to stick together and help out other arfcom brothers, I will talk to you guys later, I am
going to work now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:46:38 PM EDT
Another tip I really recommend you should do is when you feel your body is up to par to sign up to a boxing gym or a mixed martial arts school. Trust me, its a good payback to that ashamed disgusting feeling.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:29:53 AM EDT
one of my employees is actually a kick-boxer and he has his own studio, I will ask him to give me some advice also.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:06:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 5:08:12 AM EDT by Sylvan]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:38:52 AM EDT
Sylvan - excellent description of a program that will most definitely work. Are you a former fat guy?!?!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:52:57 AM EDT
All those health nuts are going to be really upset when they're lying in bed dying of nothing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:17 AM EDT
But we will leave such a beautiful corpse!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:57:38 AM EDT
Here's what I am currently doing that is working well for me. Everyone is different.

First off... I'm 5'10" as well. When I went back into the gym, I was 265 pounds. My goal is to drop to 235 sometime this year. I don't really care when. I was stable at 265 for most of 2005 and really didn't do anything as far as a workout was concerned. In October, I decided it was time to get off my well expanded ass and head back into the gym. I was a gym rat before I went into the military, and for a bit afterwords. Got out of it after we moved to Texas in 2000.

I'm not just a stocky guy with a lot of blubber. My all time max bench was 460 and I'd dead lifted 595 for a max. I've got a 21" neck and a 52" chest. Unfortunately, I developed a 44" waistline after I stopped working out.

I've upped the amount of protein I get by having one Universal Animal Max shake between breakfast and lunch and cut my daily intake of things like raice, pasta, and potatos in half for each meal. Only other supplement is a good multi-vitamin. Other than that... no change. I'm not giving up my one or two beers a week for anything. ;-)

I workout in the morning before breakfast for around one hour. I do 15 minutes on the eliptical at a high resistance level targeting around 250 calories burnt on thier little read out thingie. This is only to further deplete any stored glycogen built up over night. I want my body to burn as much stored fat as possible during the workout and immediately after.

Mondays is chest. Hi rep, low weight. I haven't gone over 315 for any exercise. I start on a flat bench 4 sets @15-20 reps each rising pyramid. Smith rack bench for another 4 sets same rep count. Selectorized pec deck for another 4 sets. Selectorized Bench machine for another 4 sets. For a final burn out, I go for the dumbells. Our dumbells only go up to 100lbs here, so I start at 75lbs in each fist and do 4 sets of as many I can, again raising the weight with each set.

Wednesday is leg day. Start with Squats. Smith squats. Toe raisers. Leg press machine. Leg Extensions. Leg curls. Torso raises on a roman chair. Again, 4 sets each pyramiding the weight up 15-20 rep range. Last couple of reps should be maximal effort.

Friday is back and shoulders. Military press. Dumbell military press. Lat raises. Lat pull down. Long pulls. Bent over rows. Finish out with bicep curls and french press.

I've also increased my water intake. I've got a 1 liter bottle that I keep at my desk. I fill it up 4 times during the workday. This, on top of my coffee in the morning and sodas (diet) for lunch and dinner. Occassional beer or wine with dinner or while watching TV at night.

So far, I've lost 2, almost 3 now, inches off my waistline, dropped 15 pounds and I'm no where close to "burning out" on the routine. I'm still seeing gains in the amount of weight I can run through the above routine with, but I'm not focusing on that right now. My main focus is to completely exhaust each muscle group on it's appropriate day. The primary exercises are all multi-joint and hit more than one muscle group for exercise. If I don't walk out of there with a full on pump, then I did something wrong. Perfect form is king for each rep.

Not sure any of the above will be a help to you, but at least it's that much more data to work with. I made this a "lifestyle" change for me. This isn't somehting I plan on doing until I'm in better shape and them stop. This is something I plan on doing for the rest of my life. Even if I end up with some debilitating illness or injury, I'll still be in the gym doing whatever I would still be capable of doing for as long as I could do it.

Fad diets are for pussies....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:26:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sylvan:
OK
1st off, don't do more than one hour a day. It won't do any good. I also would probably do no more than 4 main workouts a week.
When you workout isn't important. Whats important is that the time of day works for you so you won't miss it. If you don't like early mornings, don't do it.
A heart rate monitor would probably help you. I am pretty intune with my body and know my heart rate +- 5 BPMs when I work out. You must keep your heart rate in a certain band to get the most out of your work out.
Running is the best exercise you can do for amount of time invested BUT, at your weight, you will trash your knees fairly quickly.
Walking will not get your heart rate up.
You will not be able to swim for 30 minutes straight (very few people get a true arobic workout from swimmng.
I recommend for most people who are severly out of shape (and you are), a cycling machine. Standard upright, not recumbant (laying down). Aside from running, it works the largest muscles. The bigger the muscles worked, the more calories burned. Anyone, regardless of fitness, can control their heart rate on a cycling machine and not have to stop to walk or hurt their knees.
Cycling will give you bigger leg muscles, however (not a lot). Running makes most legs smaller (not sure if its the impact or what, but its an observation I have seen)
Minimum 30 minutes at 70-80% max heart rate. Absolutely no need for weights. Push ups, crunches and assisted pull ups and chin ups will give your major upper body muscles all the work out they will ever need for your purposes.
As your weight drops, you may vary between running and cycling, but be very aware of any knee pain.

All this is a waste of time without dieting.

Despite all of what you have heard, ATKINS WORKS. But the lack of carbs makes working out very difficult. Eventually your fat will be the fuel for your workouts and you will lose weight like crazy. 3-4 pounds a week is average. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get your body to that point and those 2-3 weeks suck.

If you aren't that crazy, fine. However, the principles apply. Reduce your carb intake and only eat smart carbs. Whole grain cereals, almost no sugars or white bread. No potatos or heavy starches. Salads are awesome for giving a lot of fiber at no carbs. If you are going to eat carbs, do so only one meal a day. Preferably breakfast or lunch. NOT DINNER. At night, while you sleep, your body will continue to burn calories. These can be fat or the french fries you had for dinner.

Protein will fill you up and you need fats. Low fat and high carbs DOES NOT WORK
For motivation, figure out a gun purchase you have wanted. When you hit your goal weight, go buy it.
Should keep you on track.
Good luck.

Well, I guess when I hit 180 I will get myself the Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM II, around $1500

I already feel some knee pain in my right leg, I will keep it down and watch out for the burn on the knee.

Great advice on both you guys' regiments.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:16:11 PM EDT
UPDATE

I went to the gym............whoa!

Sorry for the decriptions, I dont know the name of the machines.

I did cardio for about 30 minutes and I used the cycle machine where I sit up. wore me out, legs very shaky

did the ab cruncher, like doing sit-ups but sitting up. made me sick to my stomach

did this arm pull, stood up and pulled the rope in a downward position. made the back of my arms burn, felt good actually

did the bicep curling. biceps were burning, felt good also

back extensions were awesome. did good for a weak back, will be doing that more often

leg lifts, thumbs down. I guess I will do more cardio do get those legs lighter

I know I probably did a little more than I was supposed to, but over-all I wanted to get a feel for the
place and machines.

The worst was the ride after the work-out...................I THREW UP , all of my water!

I woke up, had a couple sips of a propel-like water, had a plain water at the gym. Worked out, got in the car.
Threw up, stop at subway to get a 6inch turkey sub on wheat..........I usually get a messy footlong.
I could barely eat at all, but very slowly I ate it.
I got in the car and started feeling so much better. Then we went for a walk at wally-world.......oh I didnt
mention the whole time I was with my GF. I bought some goodies (ammo), and some food.......actually looked at the
labels and bought all low-fat and such foods.

Even after one work-out I feel energized and ready to go. I am going to tough it out and get on the band-wagon.
Right now I am on the trial run at my GF's gym, shes been a member for a long time. I am going to probably sign when it
trial expires, it a month to month membership, not like a contract...........dont like that stuff.
$30 sign-up fee............$17 monthly fee.......................I like it, and I dont feel like getting raped.

Thanx guys for your advice and encouragement, MOLON LABE!
Top Top