Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/18/2015 11:14:08 PM EST
Looking at getting a fitbit to wear as part of my new diet/exercise plan but saw the Surge was coming so I held off on purchasing one.

Now that they are available, i was looking to pick one up this week.

Has anyone else grabbed one of these yet? Whats your thoughts on it?

Any suggestions on a similar functioning smart watch that may be better and I am not aware of?

It will be syncing with my Motorola Droid Maxx (maybe Droid Turbo), so no Samsung Gear for me since it only works with their own brand of devices. Sad too cause they have some really nice accessories out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:25:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 11:26:14 PM EST by mdanthony]
I've heard a lot of really good reviews of the Microsoft Band; enough to where I'm considering picking one up. I also know a couple of people who have them and are quite pleased.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:23 PM EST
I loved my fitbit and it did motivate me when the kids and I all had them and it was a competition to see who could go the furthest.
But I had the one you clip on your belt and got tired of losing it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:34:14 PM EST
Got my wife one for christmas. It's pretty cool. There is an app you can download and see everything. I would like one with a heart rate monitor in it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:58 PM EST
I've got a Fitbit One and it is a great way to monitor everything. I'm debating buying the Surge. The other strapped Fitbit products didn't do much more then the One so I didn't bite. It appears that the Surge goes well beyond so it might be worth the buy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:19 PM EST
I could do a lot with $250. One is write down my work outs and not be lazy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:55:01 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hero2three:
View Quote

You could troll somewhere else too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:00:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By EdHaney1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No trolling, but a $250 gadget to tell you what your heart rate is, or how many calories one eats is rather silly. Of course, it isn't my $$$ so spend it how you see fit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:01:42 AM EST

No trolling, but a $250 gadget to tell you what your heart rate is, or how many calories one eats is rather silly. Of course, it isn't my $$$ so spend it how you see fit.
View All Quotes

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:01:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:
Looking at getting a fitbit to wear as part of my new diet/exercise plan but saw the Surge was coming so I held off on purchasing one.

Now that they are available, i was looking to pick one up this week.

Has anyone else grabbed one of these yet? Whats your thoughts on it?

Any suggestions on a similar functioning smart watch that may be better and I am not aware of?

It will be syncing with my Motorola Droid Maxx (maybe Droid Turbo), so no Samsung Gear for me since it only works with their own brand of devices. Sad too cause they have some really nice accessories out.
View Quote
You seem to like Motorola, check out the Moto 360. It comes with quite a bit of fitness based stuff, and has a pulse sensor built in. Mine syncs to my Moto X (2014).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:15:16 AM EST

View Quote

My Fitbit One syncs with my Samsung S5.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:50:08 AM EST

View All Quotes

Yes, it works that way... But like the Samsung watches, they only sync up correctly with the samsung phones.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:54:24 AM EST
I don't need an electronic device to let me know I'm fat
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:01:10 AM EST
Haven't heard much good about the heart rate monitor. Just don't think the tech is there yet to get a good reading witjout a chest strap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:01:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 2:07:13 AM EST by BeerPimp]
I cannot comment on the surge. But, I picked up the Charge HR and am very happy with it. After getting it last Monday and working out every day. Then not doing very much on Saturday it motivated my Sunday workout. The HR monitor seems to be fairly accurate. The battery life is as expected about 5 days. It syncs to the phone and I like the Fitbit app. It is interesting seeing how long and how well you sleep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:47 AM EST
Some companies use them to monitor their workers who participate in incentives based health care programs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:12:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 2:19:05 AM EST by Burnsy]
They were available a long time ago. Mine is old and worn out. There was no "surge" on them this past year, now, or the previous year before that. Fitbits are not new. The same technology was built into watches a good while ago. They still sell them but they have gone the way of the flip phone, PDA and the pager. Just no need for separate device.

I know the new version is called the "Surge". There just isn't a need for it anymore. The money is better spent on a watch that can do the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:21:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 2:21:51 AM EST by Burnsy]
Originally Posted By tinman831:
Some companies use them to monitor their workers who participate in incentives based health care programs.
View Quote
And those companies can suck a goat. Incentives are based on performance. I would flush the thing if I was asked to take it home.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:32:37 AM EST
Call your insurance company, some sell them at reduced rates.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:43:17 AM EST
Iphone will track steps and floors.

Myfitnesspal App is free.

If you are looking to save money and already have a smart phone or iphone.

Top Top