Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2010 5:11:51 PM EST
I've had a CCL here in Texas for probably 3 years, and my first traffic stop ("excessive use of speed") happened Sunday night a block from home. In Texas, you are supposed to show the officer your CCL along with your DL, so I have them taped back-to-back....less fumbling around to find two cards.

LEO says, "Man, I wish more people would do this. (referring to the tape job) Got any weapons tonight?"
"No, sir."

Went home without a ticket.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:15:05 PM EST
You don't have to show them if you aren't carrying at the time. It never hurts though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:16:20 PM EST
Riveting tale, chap
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:17:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By superchi:
Riveting tale, chap

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:18:51 PM EST
Hell, there isn't even a penalty for not showing it, anymore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:19:15 PM EST
I guess to each their own, but my answer would have been a resounding "Yes sir, of course I do". I didn't get my CCW to not carry at all times.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:21:42 PM EST
This is GD cop bashing Tuesday! There is no way you had a positive experience with a leo or escaped the encounter without a good country beat down!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:27:05 PM EST
Having a permit and no gun is like having a gun and no bullets. Start carrying everywhere you go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:35:01 PM EST
Not everyone can. I have to drive onto a base every day. Wish I could, and you dont have to show the chl unless you are carrying
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:37:01 PM EST
That's a good tip, tape them together.

Some day when we (if we) ever get CCW in The Peoples Republic of Daley Land!

Thanks!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:47:38 PM EST
I don't know if I believe this, but I was talking to a guy recently who "claims" he was stopped by the Ohio State Police for speeding recently, and it went down like this...

- Speeder has a CHL and was carrying a Judge (no kidding - well again at least if you believe his account).

- Speeder gets pulled over and since Ohio is a "notification" state he immediately informs the officer he is licensed to carry and he is armed (officer already knows he has a CHL from running his plate of course).

- Officer asks speeder what kind of gun he has, and speeder tells him about his Judge.

- Speeder asks officer if he wants to "try out" his Judge and officer says yes, since they are in a very rural area with no one around.

- Officer takes the Judge and fires it. Then a few minutes later another OHP unit rolls up and that officer also takes a shot with the Judge.

- Speeder and two officers then dance around in a merry jig (okay, I am making that part up) .

- Speeder gets a warning and both officers leave.

Now again, I don't know if I believe half of this cockamamie story MYSELF, but there it is anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:48:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By omega62:
I don't know if I believe this, but I was talking to a guy recently who "claims" he was stopped by the Ohio State Police for speeding recently, and it went down like this...

- Speeder has a CHL and was carrying a Judge (no kidding - well again at least if you believe his account).

- Speeder gets pulled over and since Ohio is a "notification" state he immediately informs the officer he is licensed to carry and he is armed (officer already knows he has a CHL from running his plate of course).

- Officer asks speeder what kind of gun he has, and speeder tells him about his Judge.

- Speeder asks officer if he wants to "try out" his Judge and officer says yes, since they are in a very rural area with no one around.

- Officer takes the Judge and fires it. Then a few minutes later another OHP unit rolls up and that officer also takes a shot with the Judge.

- Speeder and two officers then dance around in a merry jig (okay, I am making that part up) .

Now again, I don't know if I believe half of this cockamamie story MYSELF, but there it is anyway.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:51:30 PM EST

Yeah, but the hell of it is the guy is the last person you would think would be making shit up (or snorting coke) .
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:52:46 PM EST

Says the man with Homer dancing in a hallucination behind chocolate rabbits
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:54:13 PM EST
A few months ago I got pulled over (Tail light was out) I told the cop I had a chl and a pistol with me he got scared had me get out of my car told to keep my hands in sight while he ran my information.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:56:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:

Says the man with Homer dancing in a hallucination behind chocolate rabbits

That means I know best

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:00:15 PM EST

Actually, I could see that happening, if the officers felt comfortable enough on the stop. Good stuff and rare in this PC day and age.

Top Top