Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 12:44:17 PM EDT
I started running about 7 or 8 months ago to get in shape and lose weight.
Started out just trying to work my way up to a mile, which eventually became 2 miles, which became 3. After a half a year, I now run about 3 1/4 straight every other night, including a half mile walk to and from the course. My best time so far has been around 27 minutes for a measured 3.1 mile run. So, I entered a race for next weekend...a 5K (3.1M)

I know I can finish with no problem, and I know that I wont be competitive (because last years top ten ranged from 13:40 - 15:00)...but still, I want to do my best, and train smart for my last week.

What can the experienced runners here tell me?

My goal is to do this, and work up to a 10K by spring...and then hopefully a half marathon by next fall.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
get a quality pair of shoes. train on hills. control your breathing, find a rhythm. and remember the story about the tortoise and the hare.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Find someone in the race that appears to be in your class, and pace yourself with them. You'll both do better for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Trust me,  just competing against the other runners will shave a couple minutes off your time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Trim your toenails BEFORE the race. Drink a lot for breakfast, no alcohol though. Piss before the race, not during! Wear almost new socks. Finish first!

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
And shave all your body hair to reduce drag.  You'll pick up a couple minutes, trust me!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to get good at it you have to run long slow distance in practice.  I used to run 6-10 miles a day.  Sometimes 4 in the morning also.  My time cross country (over the hills and through the woods) around 15:30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top