Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2016 6:20:27 AM EDT
So, I am planning on purchasing a pistol in the near future. I have, honestly, never fired a pistol before. I am hoping you folks could give me some suggestions for my first purchase in regards to something I can maintain, handle, and practice with at the range. I've used and done some minimal maintenance on various long guns (arisaka 99, winch 30/30, 410 breech loader, M16A2), and a friend (who introduced me to AR15) walked me through the disassembly/cleaning of one of his pistols (been a few years and cannot recall details). Ask any questions you think would be applicable to helping me out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:23:51 AM EDT
The end with the hole in it points away from you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:24:29 AM EDT
What is the main purpose of this gun? Self defense? Carry or leave at home? Just a range gun for paper?

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:26:05 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Climbmadone:
What is the main purpose of this gun? Self defense? Carry or leave at home? Just a range gun for paper?

View Quote

Need to know this.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:26:31 AM EDT
Kind of hard to beat a glock for a first pistol I think.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:27:45 AM EDT
Glock 19 #1.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:27:49 AM EDT
Glock 19
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:29:31 AM EDT
Go to a range with rentals, try out as many as you can, you'll find what fits you best.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:38:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Adam-Wayne:
Glock 19
View Quote

This. I'm not a fanboy of Glocks, but like Tommy Lee Jones said, they go bang every time.

-cavedog
-I am Homer of Borg. You will be assim....Oh, doughnuts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:43:04 AM EDT
Glock 19
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2016 7:00:28 AM EDT by HKUSP9v1]
H&K USP, Sig P226/P229, Beretta 92, and Glock 17. Pick any of these, and you should be set for home defense.

Sig P938, Springfield EMP, Ruger LC9s, and Walther PPS. These all make great concealed carry options.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:49:34 AM EDT
In before someone suggest a Glock, damn, too late.
Just look around, plenty of quality hand guns out there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:58:40 AM EDT
I 2nd the range and rent to see what you like and shoot most accurately.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:13:55 AM EDT
The Glock 17 or 19 would be a good 1st gun.
Maintenance would be minimal, parts are cheap, they are reasonably accurate.
But most of all, they are reliable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:15:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MoBigAl:
The end with the hole in it points away from you.
View Quote

What if its a revolver with the cylinder open
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:16:54 AM EDT
Go to the gun shop and fondle them. What I like you may not. Get what feels good in your hands. If possible shoot a friends guns.

I like the S&W's and how they feel much better than the Glock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:20:33 AM EDT
I've had em all, but the glunk is hard to beat.

Get a 19
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:24:38 AM EDT
HK, Walther, or Glock.

Think in German.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:27:28 AM EDT
Glock 19
Beretta 92
S&W MP
Sig 225

all quality handguns. spend some money on a good trainer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:28:33 AM EDT

S&W M&P 9 is a nice shooting handgun.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:31:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

View Quote

If you give it an Apex trigger.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:43:48 AM EDT
As others have said G19 is good.
Another way to go (not for self defense ) is a .22 semi auto such as Ruger standard, Mark I , Mark II , Mart III or a Browing Buckmark . The Rugers are really pretty much the same gun with them being produced in different time periods.

Buy from a trusty local shop and used is fine as long as you stick with brand names .

Yes .22 is a slight pain to get ammo , you might have to go the mail order route but the lack of recoil allows easier training and is fairly cheep
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:00:16 AM EDT

Start by going to your local gun shop. You really need to see what feels good in hand first. See what points most naturally for you. Make damn sure they hand you an empty weapon and ask their permission to dry fire it. How the trigger feels is just as important as how the grips feel. Practice safe gun handling. Avoid sweeping people with the muzzle.
The characteristics I generally steer first time owners towards is semi-auto, 9mm, preferably double stack magazines. The most important first decision for you is if you plan to conceal carry or not. If not, then get a full frame pistol to maximize round count, grip area, and sight radius. Next you have to decide if you want an external safety. Personally, I hate them but ymmv. For me the holster is my safety. I also hate magazine disconnects. I strongly urge you to avoid them.

Check out:
Glock, S&W m&p, Walther, and Springfield xds-xdm-xd, H&K, and Sig Sauer.

The above manufacturers offer pistols in a wide price range and will all be reliable. They all offer pistols ranging from full size, compact, to sub-compact. Take your time and really feel them all out. Remember, you might need this thing to save your life some day so don't rush your decision.
Then buy a S&W m&p9c with a couple extra mags. Take it home and shoot the shit out of it. Then save up a few more bucks and drop an Apex fffs trigger in it. Glocks are for fags. XD anythings are for homosexual cross dressing baby goat fuckers.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:08:57 AM EDT
1. all guns are loaded 2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch til the target is in your sights.
4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.

Glocks go bang everytime and are price inexpensive.
I also like XD's and have never had a single XD malfunction, many thousands of rounds down range.
Sigs are real nice. A 226 would be fun. A 320 is decent too.

I would start with a 9mm if you haven't used pistols much. But then again I started with.45's. I like 1911's too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:12:06 AM EDT
I used to offer the G19 suggestion to new pistol buyers for a first time handgun.

Lately though, I lean toward the Sig P320. The compact is almost exactly the same size as a G19, slightly less expensive, (except for magazines) and the modularity of the gun makes it very adaptable for those who only have one. My 320 compact frame and slide is very often on a subcompact grip module, it really is two guns in one.

Try it, you might agree.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:16:09 AM EDT
Anything any of us suggest is absolutely worthless. Shoot was many as you can consider the strength and weaknesses of each and match it to what you are going to use it for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:16:28 AM EDT
I love my Glocks. Can't go wrong there.

Also, ignore the Springfield XD hate here and give them a good look as well. I have a couple buddies who love their XDs and I too have enjoyed shooting them. If I weren't so heavily invested in Glocks, I'd have me an XD.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:17:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2016 8:19:03 AM EDT by Lug1]
Originally Posted By Vne:

Start by going to your local gun shop. You really need to see what feels good in hand first. See what points most naturally for you. Make damn sure they hand you an empty weapon and ask their permission to dry fire it. How the trigger feels is just as important as how the grips feel. Practice safe gun handling. Avoid sweeping people with the muzzle.
The characteristics I generally steer first time owners towards is semi-auto, 9mm, preferably double stack magazines. The most important first decision for you is if you plan to conceal carry or not. If not, then get a full frame pistol to maximize round count, grip area, and sight radius. Next you have to decide if you want an external safety. Personally, I hate them but ymmv. For me the holster is my safety. I also hate magazine disconnects. I strongly urge you to avoid them.

Check out:

The above manufacturers offer pistols in a wide price range and will all be reliable. They all offer pistols ranging from full size, compact, to sub-compact. Take your time and really feel them all out. Remember, you might need this thing to save your life some day so don't rush your decision.
Then buy a S&W m&p9c with a couple extra mags. Take it home and shoot the shit out of it. Then save up a few more bucks and drop an Apex fffs trigger in it. Glocks are for fags. XD anythings are for homosexual cross dressing baby goat fuckers.

You're welcome.

View Quote
How's your XD collection?

OP disregard the XD part of his post. Find a gun that fits your handle natural and comfortable. Triggers are important, Glock triggers suck. I changed mine out and they are more betterer. He give some really good advice, except the drama over XD's And GlocksIf you don't like them move along from them. If you do, well like I said I thousands of rounds with them. I have 4 of them. They are reliable in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:21:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By usnpjs:
Go to a range with rentals, try out as many as you can, you'll find what fits you best.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:29:47 AM EDT
One from each major manufacturer.

Taste the rainbow.

Glad you're branching out, OP!

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:31:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lug1:

OP disregard the XD part of his post. Find a gun that fits your handle natural and comfortable. Triggers are important, Glock triggers suck. I changed mine out and they are more betterer. He give some really good advice, except the drama drivel over XD's. If you don't like them move along from them. If you do, well like I said I thousands of rounds with them. I have 4 of them. They are reliable in my experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Originally Posted By Vne:

Check out:

You're welcome.

OP disregard the XD part of his post. Find a gun that fits your handle natural and comfortable. Triggers are important, Glock triggers suck. I changed mine out and they are more betterer. He give some really good advice, except the drama drivel over XD's. If you don't like them move along from them. If you do, well like I said I thousands of rounds with them. I have 4 of them. They are reliable in my experience.

Yeah, that's a joke. It is a reliable pistol.

Op, the nice thing about these guns is that they are all reliable and all pretty accurate but they all feel different in the hand. My father shoots an xdm and he shoots it very well. He doesn't shoot my M&P's as well as his xdm. I'm the opposite. I shoot my M&P well but his xdm not as much. My duty pistol is a H&K usp40 compact lem. I shoot it well enough to put up perfect scores on requals (it's an easy requal) and yet I hate the damn pistol. Feels like shit in my hand. One of my instructors let me shoot a requal course between classes once for shits and giggles using my own ammo and my M&P. My groups were much tighter and my shots were a little faster too.
Some gun will fit you better than all the others and it might very well be an xdm. Then when you buy one some jerk like me will tease you for it. But know that it's all in good fun and certainly isn't true. You can tease me for also owning a Canik55.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:35:39 AM EDT
it will be a stay at home (Illinois and I don't have a CCW), self defense and/or target.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:44:47 AM EDT
good copy! Lots of great advice...I think I will start hitting the shops and talking to the folks behind the counters. I think there might be a range near me with renters, so I'll look into that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:47:05 AM EDT
Ah...the maxims of proper firearm handling. Learned these as a tyke on a little 22 semi-auto with my father and my uncle (spent some time as an armory jerk...heh) watching me while I went through the steps to approaching, handling, loading, aiming, firing, and recovery! :-)
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2016 8:57:04 AM EDT by carpesignum]
my first pistol was an XD40, at the time springfield was offering a lifetime warranty. Since then I have picked up about a dozen or so pistols. The XD has been my favorite centerfire pistol by far. (glock 17, glock 26, beretta 96, and several others. Both glocks get build up on the feed ramp and stop feeding FMJ after about 100 rounds, and I couldnt hit shit with the 96)

If you can find .22lr or have .22lr, a ruger MK III stainless will last several lifetimes and is great to learn on. Once I got my hunter I would put ~200 rounds through it and then 25-50 rounds of centerfire to stay acclimated to recoil. made for a much cheaper range trip and my groups got smaller.

edit: if I had to sell all of my guns and start over, the ruger would be my first choice to buy (is my last choice to sell), then I would look real hard at the HK USP or a 1911. some places have been selling FNS pistols at pretty good prices lately. FN is a good name but I didnt like the feel of their pistols.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:55:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BALDSKINNER:
I 2nd the range and rent to see what you like and shoot most accurately.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:04:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By c7aea15:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By c7aea15:

Originally Posted By Chief20879:
Glock 19 #1.

This & that.

Just get a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:12:05 AM EDT
Get a .22lr pistol: revolver or semi-auto - Ruger or Browning

The ammo is the cheapest you'll find. You'll never get rid of this one - you can always plink with it

Once you become familiar with pistols, then try out the different calibers and manufacturer models.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:12:31 AM EDT
I'm an M&P fan but I always suggest a Glock 19 to new shooters.

It's a pistol that covers a lot of bases in it's stock form.

I wouldn't suggest a DA/SA. Way more training required to be proficient.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:17:45 AM EDT
I am a bit of a Sig fan.

Own a sig 2022, 225/P6, 226, and 228. All in 9mm. All are good guns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2016 9:23:04 AM EDT by VA-BlkRifle]
You can't go wrong with a P226, or a $800+ 1911, you would not have cause to regret either one.

Seriously, get a 1911 if you want to get addicted to handguns.

Get the P226 if it's the only one for the forseeable future.

I'm from the fuck plastic brigade.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:22:45 AM EDT
Colt Buntline Special would be my pick
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:22:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HKUSP9v1:

View All Quotes

I have two full size and one Shield and have never found there to be any problem with the triggers.

I take it as an Internet Myth based upon early production.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:27:04 AM EDT
Glocks are gross I say get a Ruger 22/45 or MKIII as a .22lr trainer to start with and grab a full sized CZ-75 in 9mm so you'll be part of the CZ master race right out of the gate
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:28:54 AM EDT
Glock 19
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:30:28 AM EDT

Young son ----------------------- Can I call you "young son"...?

As a 01FFL with 27yr's I never recommend ANY handguns to anyone.

My advice has always been (just like quite a few others in this thread) is to go and shoot a BUNCH of handguns and see which one suits you best.

Recommending a gun to a neophyte is like telling a dude which chick to marry...

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:32:06 AM EDT

I have two full size and one Shield and have never found there to be any problem with the triggers.

View All Quotes

They still feel like they have mashed potatoes in the trigger, and the curve of the trigger just feels weird.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:42:10 AM EDT
H&K USP, Sig P226/P229, Beretta 92, and Glock 17. Pick any of these, and you should be set for home defense.

Sig P938, Springfield EMP, Ruger LC9s, and Walther PPS. These all make great concealed carry options.
View Quote

I've not shot every pistol, but out of the ones I've shot, I've grouped best with a couple of these and they are easy to take apart and clean.

On the less expensive side, a Sig 2022 is a nice option, but asking what pistol is best will have more opinions that asking 9 or 45.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:47:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Noname:

Young son ----------------------- Can I call you "young son"...?

As a 01FFL with 27yr's I never recommend ANY handguns to anyone.

My advice has always been (just like quite a few others in this thread) is to go and shoot a BUNCH of handguns and see which one suits you best.

Recommending a gun to a neophyte is like telling a dude which chick to marry...

View Quote

I usually recommend the one with big hooters
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2016 9:55:40 AM EDT by 4FishLimit]
I'm an XD kind of guy, so go take a look at the XDM 5.25" in 9MM for home use.

20 + 1 capacity, 5.25" barrel and slide will give you a longer site radius for ease of shooting, and probably one of the softest shooting full size 9MM handguns out there.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:56:23 AM EDT
Glock 19
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top