Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:25 PM EDT
Yup, that's right.  20 years old and taking my first airplane tomorrow morning.  My girlfriend and I are heading to Denver from Kansas City.  It's only about an hour and a half long flight so that won't be bad.  What are some tips y'all have for me?

Our flight leaves KCI at 6:45AM I believe.  What time should we arrive to go through security?  Since it's so early, a Sunday morning, and KCI (small airport) I figure there won't be much traffic at the airport.  Correct assumption?  I don't think we're taking any checked luggage since we're only going to be gone until Wednesday.  We're flying Southwest by the way.  Got up at 6 something this morning to get our boarding passes  We're in boarding group A so I'm assuming that's good.

Anything I'm missing?  Any travel tips?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask if you can get into the cockpit.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ativan
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ativan

What is Ativan?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ativan

What is Ativan?

A tranquilizer
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
do not worry about it at all - I fly 100,000+ miles per years - overseas and domestic - have for 13-14 years.  Other than the occasional delay or cancelled flight I have never had an issue
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Window seat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Window seat.

nah, aisle seat, so you can run to the can if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I would check my bag.  That way you don't have to worry about having liquids or knives or whatever else they determine to be a deadly weapon in your bag.  Arrive early, I'd be there at 5:30-5:45.

Get a window seat and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Security isnt as bad as most people here tend to claim. Just be prepared and be organized.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The worst thing I've ever had happen to me on a flight was three aborted landings in Prudhoe Bay.  It's about an hourlong flight there from Anchorage and one shift I had to make 3 round trip flights and one successful one-way to finally make it to work, over the course of two days.

The pilot would make his approach in a pea-soup fog and wind and then abort, try again, abort, try again and then head back to Fairbanks because we couldn't do this all day without running out of fuel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Your flight is pretty short, so it won't bad. I don't know if you wear contacts or anything, but the air will be dry inside the cabin. Bring moisturizing drops if you need em.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Screw like rabbits in the lavatory and join the mile high club.

eta:
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
dont get drunk before you board.

dont yell fire, bomb or some other stupid.

try to make a pass at one of the FAs.

dont give the FAs any lip or problems.

dont wear your leatherman or other pocket knife.

southwest doent have reserve seating so it doesnt mean much..  youre only on the plane for an hour so unless you have a bladder problem, you should be okay.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Take something to read or an iPod to listen to on the plane. Wear comfortable clothes (that is shorts, a golf shirt and slip-off shoes for me). You will have to take your shoes off to go through security so keep that in mind.

Buy something to drink to take on the plane, like bottled water or a Coke. It might be more than an hour before you get service on the plane (if at all). I generally eat some frozen yogurt when I get to the airport (but I don't take 6:45 AM flights either). The frozen yogurt will help you keep from getting hungry and will keep you cool on the plane.

If you take any medicine, make sure to keep that with you. Remember that baggage you check could be lost in the system for 24 or more hours. So, take a small carry on bag with the essentials you might need.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yup, that's right.  20 years old and taking my first airplane tomorrow morning.  My girlfriend and I are heading to Denver from Kansas City.  It's only about an hour and a half long flight so that won't be bad.  What are some tips y'all have for me?

Our flight leaves KCI at 6:45AM I believe.  What time should we arrive to go through security?  Since it's so early, a Sunday morning, and KCI (small airport) I figure there won't be much traffic at the airport.  Correct assumption?   I don't think we're taking any checked luggage since we're only going to be gone until Wednesday.  We're flying Southwest by the way.  Got up at 6 something this morning to get our boarding passes  We're in boarding group A so I'm assuming that's good.

Anything I'm missing?  Any travel tips?

bad assumption

TSA staffs for the expected load, so there might only be one or two security lines open. That means that lines can be extra long. If your line has a family with 10 kids, 14 strollers, and a bunch of first-time travelers, your line could come to a halt. You just never know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#16]
When the plane starts to shake,that means it's falling apart. Scream for your life!

Seriously-strip search all of your stuff for anything on the no-fly list. Little pocket knives,mildly sharp objects,etc. Check the FAA and DHS lists thoroughly. Ditch anything that has touched gunpowder residue,fireworks,etc in case they use sniffers at either airport.
Try to avoid checking any baggage if it's a short trip. This saves a lot of hassle. If you take a carry on and check however,be sure that it fits the size criterion. There's nothing worse than realizing that your bag is too big when you're crammed into the passenger compartment and the flight attendants are glaring at you for your ignorance.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Ever spent time in a turkish prison?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
All the clunks and noises after takeoff and before landing are normal.  Also, do not stand up when you pull up to the gate.  Stand up when the people in front of you have left the plane.  Watch for it.  As soon as the seat belt sign is turned off, everyone will stand up, even though the gate isn't even open.  Then they will just stand there, waiting to get off the plane.  Much nicer to sit and wait.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
It'll be bumpier than you imagined, but don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If the ride feels bumpy, the plane is having mechanical problems...don't panic though, thier is only a slight chance of the plane lawndarting into the ground....about 1 in 10.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Plan on it being HOT in Denver...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Read up on the regulations about what you can carry on board and what's prohibited.  The obvious stuff, guns, bombs, won't be a problem, but nail trimmers, shampoo bottle, prescription medication, stuff like that, you want to double check.

Get there two hours ahead of time, if it's your first time flying.  That'll give you a nice buffer for "oops" or to look at pretty planes or whatever.

Buy a travel sized thing of motion sickness pills (Dramamine?  Something like that) ahead of time, for each of you.  You can also get them at any of the shops inside the terminal.  If you're prone to motion sickness, take one (or even two) before you board.  Just be aware that it'll make you sleepy, which isn't a bad way to pass a plane trip.  It doesn't take effect instantly, so waiting until you hit turbulence may not be the best idea.  You'll be in a smaller plane, heading toward mountain air (often turbulent), so this is not idle advice.

Also, go to the bathroom before you board.  That goes for the woman, too.  Airplane lavatories work okay, but it's a pain in the ass, and you have to remain in your seat for the first and last half hour or so of the flight.  That's not idle advice, either.  You don't want to realize you're about to burst just as they start pulling away from the jetway.  (If you do, remember that the puke bag in the seat pocket is waterproof)

Don't worry about getting bored, it's not a very long flight, and you can read the seat pocket stuff or talk or look out the window if you're awake.  If you have a camera in your carry on, sometimes newbies like to take a picture or three out the window, particularly if the flight passes over their town or something.  Won't turn out awesome, but it's a novelty.

When you first get to the departure gate, it's a good idea to check with the people at the counter, to make sure you're in the right spot and you're ready to go.  Bad idea to wait until boarding to find out you need a different boarding pass or this is the wrong flight or something.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Good thing you're flying into DIA in the summer, it is a bumpy ride into that airport due to the wind. I've flown a bunch in my life, and i always hate landing at DIA because of all the turbulence

I like isle seats, but i'm also 6'3"

Get a magazine to read, you enter a time vortex when you're flying. 1.5 hours of flying is like 6 hours on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you do, don't think too hard about being trapped in a thin metal tube hurtling through the air at hundreds of miles per hour with your life in the hands of two individuals who may or may not be planning to off themselves. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#25]
You are in boarding group A?  Try to get the emergency exit row seats for the extra leg room.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't have your laptop running this:

http://boortz.com/mp3/archive/countdown.swf
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Somebody recommended bringing a drink.  Don't bother.  TSA confiscates any bottled liquid the size of a normal water bottle, whether it's been opened or not.  Just bring cash so you can buy a bottle of water after you go through security.

Put your shampoo and toothpaste in a clear ziplock bag.

If you're taking a laptop, be prepared to remove it from its case and lay it in a tray to be run through x-ray separately.

Get a window seat if you can.  The first time you fly you're going to want to be glued to the window.

Relax and enjoy the flight.  Statistically, it's the safest form of travel in the world.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Read up on the regulations about what you can carry on board and what's prohibited.  The obvious stuff, guns, bombs, won't be a problem, but nail trimmers, shampoo bottle, prescription medication, stuff like that, you want to double check.

Get there two hours ahead of time, if it's your first time flying.  That'll give you a nice buffer for "oops" or to look at pretty planes or whatever.

Buy a travel sized thing of motion sickness pills (Dramamine?  Something like that) ahead of time, for each of you.  You can also get them at any of the shops inside the terminal.  If you're prone to motion sickness, take one (or even two) before you board.  Just be aware that it'll make you sleepy, which isn't a bad way to pass a plane trip.  It doesn't take effect instantly, so waiting until you hit turbulence may not be the best idea.  You'll be in a smaller plane, heading toward mountain air (often turbulent), so this is not idle advice.

Also, go to the bathroom before you board.  That goes for the woman, too.  Airplane lavatories work okay, but it's a pain in the ass, and you have to remain in your seat for the first and last half hour or so of the flight.  That's not idle advice, either.  You don't want to realize you're about to burst just as they start pulling away from the jetway.  (If you do, remember that the puke bag in the seat pocket is waterproof)

Don't worry about getting bored, it's not a very long flight, and you can read the seat pocket stuff or talk or look out the window if you're awake.  If you have a camera in your carry on, sometimes newbies like to take a picture or three out the window, particularly if the flight passes over their town or something.  Won't turn out awesome, but it's a novelty.

When you first get to the departure gate, it's a good idea to check with the people at the counter, to make sure you're in the right spot and you're ready to go.  Bad idea to wait until boarding to find out you need a different boarding pass or this is the wrong flight or something.

So I chose a helluva airport to fly into for my first time

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#29]
MCI is not a good airport at all. The layout is one of the worst in the nation post 9/11 . I fly out of it 25+ times a year. WN is in Terminal B, yes their will be lines at 645am, it's the first flights of the day. Arrive at 5:40 if you have to leave your car there in the eco-parking lot. Take the bus to terminal B, do the autocheck-in use the bathroom and go directly to your gate. Their are NO bathrooms beyond the security check at MCI.

Just bring cash so you can buy a bottle of water after you go through security.

At MCI you won't have a drink until you get one the plane, their are no concessions/stores or bathrooms beyond security.

Btw the proper term is not KCI, I don't know why people in KC use it, it's ICAO is KMCI or just MCI for short.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Any travel tips?

Be prepared to be treated like cattle.
The KC airport lacks any decent restaurants. Eat on your way to the airport.
Don't bring any weapons. No knives either.
Don't wear unnecessary metal (no studded biker belts)
Wear shoes that slip on and off easily.
For carry on luggage, pack all your liquids in small bottles and put them all in a clear baggie (look at the airline web site or the TSA site if you don't get this).
Bring something to read while you wait and during the flight
Drink some water. Airplanes dry you out.
Flying sucks

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Ever spent time in a turkish prison?

Do you like gladiator movies?...............oh shit, wrong question for the arfcom crew.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep.  I've flown in and out of Denver 4 times in the last month.  It is a BUMPY ride.  Don't sweat it though.  Just bring a magazine or a good book and try and relax.  The Denver Airport isn't bad, lots of places to eat/drink both inside ant outside security.  I hate that you need to take a train from security to the gates.

I fly all the time.  Just get there an hour early or so, make sure you follow all the TSA rules.  Wear slip on shoes or sandals.  All liquids in a quart ziploc bag with none of the containers more than 3.4 oz.  Shoes and ziploc bag in one bin, laptop in another if you are bringing one.  

For a first time flyer, go with the window seat.  You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
bring a parachute as your carry-on and act paraniod  

From the TSA website...

You may bring skydiving rigs with and without Automatic Activation Devices (AAD) as carry-on or checked luggage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't bring fire. You can't take it on the plane.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#35]
If you see a creature on the wing during the flight and it is trying to tear up the sheet metal, don't shoot at it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Join the Marine Corps and get a FREE  plane ticket, it's the best way to fly IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Mutter under your breath in a foreign language a lot, quickly turn away from any security cameras you see and only buy a one way ticket.

Seriously, go early, dress lightly, carry something to pass the time, wear slip on loafers or something similar, chill out, carry a small snack.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Window seat.

Over the wing, or as close to it as possible.

Most survivors of a crash-landing are over the wing. The wing keeps that part of the fuselage from rolling after the airplane breaks up.

But don't worry about it.

Wear loafers... they DO require you to take your shoes off.

If you are taking a one-way flight, EXPECT to be searched more thoroughly.

Don't proposition the female flight attendants. They don't like it.

Don't proposition the male flight attendants. They DO like it.

Try to limit your carry-on stuff.

No knives, scissors, guns, etc and as little electronic stuff as possible. Wiring that is visible on an X-ray machine makes them worry. A lot.

DO NOT MAKE SMARTASSED COMMENTS ABOUT WEAPONS, HIJACKINGS, ETC while you are in the airport. That behaviour REALLY pisses them off!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Sit in the back of the plane - you never hear about planes backing into mountains
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

it took till page 2 for this?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Just repeat the words "Allah Akbar" out loud over and over the entire flight.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Drive, it's less than 600 miles.

612.9 miles from my door in OP.

My girlfriend's car (the one we'd take were we to drive) gets 26 miles per gallon highway.
It would take 23.5 gallons of gas to get to Denver at 26 miles per gallon.
At $4.16/gallon it would cost $97.76 to get to Denver one way.
Round trip costs bring it to $192.52 just in gas.
My time is currently valued by Target at $9.75/hr.  I'd be driving for 9 hours to get to Denver.
That's another $87.75.
Trip total would be $280.27.  Our combined round-trip airfare was $298.  I'll pay the extra $18 for the ease of getting to Denver in 1.5 hours
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Just repeat the words "Allah Akbar" out loud over and over the entire flight.
+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it took till page 2 for this?

GD is getting slack.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ativan

What is Ativan?

Go to a rental car place, ask to look over the selection, and end up ativan.  Get in the van and drive there.  Flying sucks nowadays.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Drive, it's less than 600 miles.

612.9 miles from my door in OP.

My girlfriend's car (the one we'd take were we to drive) gets 26 miles per gallon highway.
It would take 23.5 gallons of gas to get to Denver at 26 miles per gallon.
At $4.16/gallon it would cost $97.76 to get to Denver one way.
Round trip costs bring it to $192.52 just in gas.
My time is currently valued by Target at $9.75/hr.  I'd be driving for 9 hours to get to Denver.
That's another $87.75.
Trip total would be $280.27.  Our combined round-trip airfare was $298.  I'll pay the extra $18 for the ease of getting to Denver in 1.5 hours

Add the commute time to the airport, the check in time, the wait time at the gate, then waiting on your bags at the other end, getting a rental car, driving out of the airport property, and driving to your principal destination.  Let's call it 5.5 hours in round numbers.

After TSA humiliates you and makes you walk across the crappy floor in your socks, the drive will look pretty good.

A valid point.  I'm too young to rent a car, though.  I think, anyways.

I think another main reason I don't want to drive is the fact that I'm driving to Minnesota on August 2nd.  I don't need two almost 10 hour drives in that short period of time
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#50]
A full size backbrace gets a ton of attention, especialy if your in your early twentys
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top