Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2005 12:44:28 PM EDT
I want to get my first tat but dunno where to go. Most places look like some hole in the wall where Id be hesitant to use their bathroom let alone have them poke me repeatedly. Plus I went to summer skool long ago with someone who had started to get a band around their arm but the guy did it all crooked and so they stopped half way. It looked really bad. So whats some advice for a first timer? Id like to use my own design. Its Celtic knot work and Id like it done right. How do I pick an artist? What kind of warning signs should I look out for? Im weight training right now, should I wait until my body is more sculpted or will the tat hold its shape and what not as I gain bulk? Does the outline hurt more than the color or is it the same? Whats the healing time?  And, what are the most painful locations on the body for tat work?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
as you bulk up the tat will stretch.  wait
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
dont ,everybody else is. be original
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's some advice: Don't do it!

20 years from now people will make fun of all these old-timers with knots on their arm and whore brands above their crack.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
How strange.  I was just on a tattoo forum asking about M4 uppers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

20 years from now people will make fun of all these old-timers with knots on their arm and whore brands above their crack.

+1.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1  I think the human body is much more attractive with out graffiti on it.  

Patty
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Check what forum your in, GENERAL DISCUSSION. We can talk about anything. Nice try...... If your just out to be an ass your input is not needed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Add me to the list of those against it

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So then the flip side would be Id have to keep the bulk until I die or it would look funny as I lost the muscle too? I dont plan to lift until Im 80........
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Add me to the list of those against it

no one gives a fuck, quit trolling
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So then the flip side would be Id have to keep the bulk until I die or it would look funny as I lost the muscle too? I dont plan to lift until Im 80........

bottom line: you're going to jack it up either way
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

IMHO:  Don't do it!  You'll just be a sheeple.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
check out the rec.arts.bodyart faq for how to choose a reputable artist. Here's the rabbit hole and here are the faqs.

That said, I'm also against it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Find someone who is happy with their  tattoo. Find out where they got it.  All the neddles should be in a sterile wrapper on start up with a blue dot. All the supplies used should come out of new sealed containers. Can't say as far as the streaching though.  The outline will hurt a bit more , but buck up and be a man. If you get  a tat on your arm underarm will be the most painful. It kinda feels like someone is cutting yer arm with a knife on the sensitive area.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check what forum your in, GENERAL DISCUSSION. We can talk about anything. Nice try...... If your just out to be an ass your input is not needed.

Touchy, touchy!  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Research.  Pay a call to all the reputable lookng tat outfits in your area.  Look at their portfolio.
Make sure they have the draftmans skill to do fine work.  This is permanent.  Make sure the outfits follow health codes religiously.  

That's about it.  The stretching of tats has been discussed a bit amongst tattoo artists.  It doesn't appear to be much of an issue.  

If you want a tattoo have done the proper research and put time into considering having non removable art on your body, get one.  If you are young and not established in a career or bidness I would suggest having it done in a spot that is easily concealable.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Make sure you get a girl's name.

Because true love lasts forever!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Best advice yet!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#22]
you should get some good visible ones, like a thick tribal pattern going up the sides of your neck, some 8 balls on the backs of your hands, put some good full sleeve tattos all the way down your arms

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing and use pure deep black ink. It may be a standard now, but when I was looking 10+ years ago, it was just coming out. Most of the old tattoos will turn purple with age. This ink supposedly will stay black.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Mamm did the perp have any identifying marks or tatoos?   Why give them any help in identification?

Plan on committing a crime?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have a business removing them.  Please get a big one.  

I am going to start collecting my fee up front because I've noticed people get a little squirrelly once the belt sander comes out.  

pansies
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Just ask around about the shops in your town. Go in and ask to see some of their work,sit and watch them do a few. Most shops will not mind. Just remember if you do this than it will be thier forever. The only thing I can say about what to get and where to put it is make sure it means something to you. Reminds you of something in your life or something that you represent. As far as placement remember you will not alway be in a situation that you want people to see your tats. Make sure they are easy to cover up. Ever heard the joke about the guy with the neck tat at a job interview!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A celtic knot?

Why not barbed wire?

Come up with something original that means something to you if you are going to bother.

I have a Phoenix with my son's name under it, just for info...

Its knot work Ive come up with myself. I highly doubt anyone will have this same exact design. Its just for me, it will be in a spot shown to few. Im Irish/Scottish and Ive always liked that kind of art. Its my choice. Thats why.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Check around the town you are in and ask people who have decent tats where they got them.  Also go big, don't get a small tattoo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't.  Are those needles cleaned?  How about the ink holders.  HIV?  Dunno about tattoos.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing and use pure deep black ink. It may be a standard now, but when I was looking 10+ years ago, it was just coming out. Most of the old tattoos will turn purple with age. This ink supposedly will stay black.

Think your talking about automotive window tint.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]
As a couple of people have already said, checking out some places in person is the best way to go. If you know of anyone who already has ink, ask them where they got it done and who did it. When you visit the location, cleanliness is definitely important. All needles must be new and come out of the original packaging.

Past that, check out their portfolio vs. the "flash" that is usually on the walls. Flash is usually purchased from other tattoo artists and does not represent what the local shop owner/operator has done. If you like the style that a particular artist has, take him a couple of pictures of tattoos that are in the design that you like. Tell him what you like about each one and he should be able to come up with an original design based on your input. If you have any artistic talent yourself, a sketch works too.    

Sometimes the outline hurts more, sometimes the fill in hurts more. It really depends on where the needle is at on the body at the time. The pain is not all that bad, just uncomfortable really.

Give a lot of thought to the tattoo that you decide to get. There is no hurry and the work is permanent. You can go in and get ink lasered, but that is an expensive and even more painful process than the original tattoo. Laser removal requires multiple sessions, the larger and darker the ink, the more visits it takes to remove it.

I got the first of my two tattoos eight years ago and am really pleased with both of them. That said, tattoos are not for everyone. Give lots of thought to your decision about if you're going to get one and if so, what and where.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I think you have done well to use your own art rather than just pick something off a wall!  But be smart and keep it somewhere that it can be concealed.  All of the above advice regarding the cleanliness of the establishment and equipment is good.  Look at people who have ink, and if you like it (or DON'T!) ask where they got it done.  Check out the artist's portfolio and watch him work.

Take your time on making your decisions and choosing your artist.  This is forever, but if you are careful in your choices, you won't regret it.  

(and post pics!)
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A celtic knot?

Why not barbed wire?

Come up with something original that means something to you if you are going to bother.

I have a Phoenix with my son's name under it, just for info...

Its knot work Ive come up with myself. I highly doubt anyone will have this same exact design. Its just for me, it will be in a spot shown to few. Im Irish/Scottish and Ive always liked that kind of art. Its my choice. Thats why.

I'm speechless.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#36]
get it on your forehead so it won't stretch

all tattoo places i have been to look like holes in the wall. the 'artist' doesn't have to have much skill they will xerox a sheet in a special copier then they put a stencil on your body. so all he has to do is follow the lines.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have a business removing them.  Please get a big one.  

I am going to start collecting my fee up front because I've noticed people get a little squirrelly once the belt sander comes out.  

Way too funny TBK1  Patty
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Be very careful in getting a tattoo CC.  They are addicting!!!  But seriously, as far as tattoos go its an individual thing and you do what you want to do. I have tattoos and will be getting another one here probably this month.  DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!! find people who have tats already that you like the work and find out where they went.  Remember this is something that is not going away and if its screwed up you will regret it.

Don't listen to the sheeple comments..They whine about everything Do what you want to do and get what you want.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#41]
tattoos lead to nipple piercings
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#42]
If you really want one, shop around. Find the best place possible, and don't be afraid to travel. Look at the artist's book. Any good one should have pictures of the work he has done.

Don't be put off by people who try to convince you that tattoos are horrible, but don't get them on your face, hands, neck, or any other really visable place.

The job interview stories can certainly be frightening, but I have yet to go to an interview in short sleeves. Additionally, if you do your job in short sleeves, most won't care what is on your arms. The guy that changes my oil has several visible tattoos, but his isn't a profession that commands much respect. I have a tattoo on my forearm that goes from wrist to elbow, but it is well covered by a lab coat. The most likely exception to this rule is police officers, but there are plenty of them with visible tattoos as well.

In short, get the tattoos if you want them, but consider that some people think that everyone with a tattoo is a criminal. Don't get something you may regret later.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]
don't do it.    "tats" remind me of the guy on rat race that just got his tongue pierced.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#44]
i make alot of money on mine.........i bet people that my cock hangs right above my knee.

then when i show them my tatto of a rooster hanging from a noose right above my knee.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Have them write   "Some asshole put this grafitti on me when I was young and drunk"
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I want to get my first tat but dunno where to go. Most places look like some hole in the wall where Id be hesitant to use their bathroom let alone have them poke me repeatedly. Plus I went to summer skoollong ago with someone who had started to get a band around their arm but the guy did it all crooked and so they stopped half way. It looked really bad. So whats some advice for a first timer? Id like to use my own design. Its Celtic knot work and Id like it done right. How do I pick an artist? What kind of warning signs should I look out for? Im weight training right now, should I wait until my body is more sculpted or will the tat hold its shape and what not as I gain bulk? Does the outline hurt more than the color or is it the same? Whats the healing time?  And, what are the most painful locations on the body for tat work?

I think you need to go back to summer skool!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Another big 'Just say no' post.

Around here, every jackass has them on the forearms, calves, neck , it is just trying to fit now, not to be a 'rebel'.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think your talking about automotive window tint.

No, but thanx for responding.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I think tattoo's are ugly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top