Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2010 6:29:12 AM EDT
This has been a long time in the making.

I've wanted a a street bike for quite some time now, probably as long as I can remember. Everyone said DON'T get a sport bike. I couldn't afford one anyways, so I didn't.

3 years ago I got a 82 CM250 from my buddies Dad for free. It didn't run. I spent some time getting it going and was hooked after the first ride. I put 2500 miles on in 2 season. Doesn't seem like a lot, but for a 250, it's quite a bit, considering I did most of my cruising at 50 or 55 MPH.

I wanted something bigger, mainly so I could go anywhere. I couldn't really take the 250 on the highway. I had trouble trying to decide what I wanted. I really liked the look of a sport bike, but didn't really need that much bike. I was also worried I would be uncomfortable. (I am 6'4")

The 250 was really a good bike to learn on. It taught me to plan even farther ahead, as I wouldn't have the power to get out of a sticky situation. It's amazing how many idiots are out there. They all seem to want to kill you.

I was thinking about a SV650, a FZR6, or a R6. I sat on a bunch of them, but it was so hard to tell without riding them.

I ended up getting a 07 R6S on Friday. I love it. Its such a fun bike. I had ridden YZF450 dirt bike in the past that scared the crap out of me and was afraid the R6S would have too much power.

All stock except for the flush mounts, fender elim, and yoshi exhaust (which sounds awesome)

The first ride was on Saturday. I did about 50 miles. It was a little nerve racking in the begining. All my muscle memory was from riding the 250. It was uncomfortable at first as I wanted to hold on more with my hands than my legs. I kept wanting to honk the horn when going for the turn signals. Another result of the muscle memory. I'm starting to pick it up now, surprisingly fast.

I put 220 miles on it yesterday and it was surprisingly comfortable. I did stop a couple of  times. Biggest problem was my ass getting sore, but I am starting to get used to the bike. I have been babying it. Shifting like a grandma, way before I should the bike does well, even shifting sooner than I should. I've ran it higher into the power band and it amazes me the power it has. I can't imagine a litre bike.

Took it through some "twisties" and it was such a blast, even at "normal" speed. The bike rides so nice.

Now, for a few questions.

The clutch... The clutch doesn't want to engage until the lever is almost all the way out. Is this normal? The bike only has 3800 miles. When I rode that YZF I spoke of earlier, the clutch was engaging as soon as I let the lever out just a bit. Which is correct? I want to get it "right" before I get used to something a setup that is wrong.

Suspension... Any sort of suspension tutorials out there? I'm sure there are, but not sure where to look. I want to get it adjusted for myself. Do you need any special tools?

What else should I know? I know I won't be riding without the gear. It was nearly 90 yesterday and it wasn't too hot as long as I was moving, so no excuses.

I do want some protection for the bike in case I go down. I plan on getting some frame sliders, but should I get anything else?
I've also got a Zero Gravity Double Bubble on order, since I am so tall.

I think that's about it for now.

So happy to be a member of the sport bike club. I was surprised how many of the Harley guys even waived.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the bike, looks awesome!

You did it right, too. I'm amazed everytime I hear about someone getting a GSXR or R series bike as their first ride.

A new rider should always spend the first year on a bike that isn't going to overwhelm them so that they can learn the fundamentals of riding before they move on to a bike designed to win a national superbike race.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice bike you made a good choice.
www.R6-Forum.com has all the info you need.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice bike!  Here are some links for ya:

Suspension set up

Generally awesome information from the same source

Stay safe and gear up!

ETA - The clutch on my 2009 GSXR 600 has a pretty short engagement range, as well.  I've gotten used to it pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Suspension set up

Stay safe and gear up!

ETA - The clutch on my 2009 GSXR 600 has a pretty short engagement range, as well.  I've gotten used to it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the info!

Just so we are clear... I don't start moving until the clutch is almost all the way out. That's how your bike is?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice bike
I'm looking to get my first sport bike this summer.  I'll probably start with a 250 Ninja and ride it to work and back (about 15 mi round trip) for a while before I step up to a faster one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suspension set up

Stay safe and gear up!

Thanks for the info!

Just so we are clear... I don't start moving until the clutch is almost all the way out. That's how your bike is?

How much freeplay is in your clutch?  My FZ1 engages about 3/4" or less off the grip.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suspension set up

Stay safe and gear up!

Thanks for the info!

How much freeplay is in your clutch?  My FZ1 engages about 3/4" or less off the grip.

There isn't much freeplay at all. How would I go about adjusting it to how it should be?

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice bike Where in WI are you at?

Might want to stop by AOM, local sportbike forum set up by some of the guys I rode with back in Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The clutch... The clutch doesn't want to engage until the lever is almost all the way out. Is this normal? The bike only has 3800 miles. When I rode that YZF I spoke of earlier, the clutch was engaging as soon as I let the lever out just a bit. Which is correct? I want to get it "right" before I get used to something a setup that is wrong.

Normal, and how it should be. When it is at the end of the lever travel, you can operate the clutch with much less movement (faster) than having to pull the lever all the way in.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal, and how it should be. When it is at the end of the lever travel, you can operate the clutch with much less movement (faster) than having to pull the lever all the way in.  

+1. Just about every sport bike I've ridden is like this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent... Makes sense how you explained it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There isn't much freeplay at all. How would I go about adjusting it to how it should be?

Buy a factory service manual.  
You spent how much money on your bike, don't be a cheap-ass and skimp on maintenance, buy the factory service manual already.

You can download it from here if  - http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-maintenance-technical/39254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Clutch cable free play (at the end of the clutch lever)
10  15 mm (0.39  0.59 in)
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats!  Nice looking bike.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#14]
good looking bike, stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Slappy's Steps to Proper Sportbike Riding

1. Take plate off
2. Ride it like you stole it
3. Profit!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds to me like you went about things the right way. I did this:

1985 GS450L
2004 SV650S
2006 GSX-R 1000 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 600 (cheap replacement)

I recommend Delrin sliders at a minimum. Try to get sliders that bolt directly on, rather than requiring a bracket (this bracket will be bent with a great amount of force if the slider is used, potentially causing worse problems or making your slider useless). I am no expert in this area, but if I had a 'nice' sport bike (my current GSX-R is an ugly duckling/stunt bike), I would put Race Rails (I think Racing 905 makes them) and sliders on the bar ends and swingarm.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Just about every Japanese sport bike I've ridden is like this.

Fixed

My Duc has a much shorter overall throw, but engages about 1/2" off the grip.  My Interceptor is like the OP described.  In my opinion, the Japanese way is awkward and weird and does not increase shifting speed.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1985 GS450L
2004 SV650S
2006 GSX-R 1000 (stolen)

I recommend Delrin sliders at a minimum. Try to get sliders that bolt directly on, rather than requiring a bracket (this bracket will be bent with a great amount of force if the slider is used, potentially causing worse problems or making your slider useless). I am no expert in this area, but if I had a 'nice' sport bike (my current GSX-R is an ugly duckling/stunt bike), I would put Race Rails (I think Racing 905 makes them) and sliders on the bar ends and swingarm.

Powers Stuntworx
http://www.powersstuntworx.com/
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1985 GS450L
2004 SV650S
2006 GSX-R 1000 (stolen)

Powers Stuntworx

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent... Makes sense how you explained it.

That is how mine is, as well.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, and for the frame sliders, get a Shogun crash kit.  I have tested them personally (unfortunately) and they work well.  Frame sliders made of metal are a bad idea if you hit at any speed.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a factory service manual.  
You spent how much money on your bike, don't be a cheap-ass and skimp on maintenance, buy the factory service manual already.

You can download it from here if  - http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-maintenance-technical/39254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Clutch cable free play (at the end of the clutch lever)
10  15 mm (0.39  0.59 in)

Thanks for the link!

Downloaded!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I made a camera mount for the bike. Video is kind of boring, but you get the idea. Needs a little more vibration dampening. For the record, the bike sounds much better than in the video, I put a piece of tape over the mic to reduce wind noise.

Home Made Camera Mount
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suspension set up

Stay safe and gear up!

Thanks for the info!

Double-check the adjustment, it should be starting to engage closer to the bar......maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the way out.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Just about every Japanese sport bike I've ridden is like this.

Fixed

My Duc has a much shorter overall throw, but engages about 1/2" off the grip.  My Interceptor is like the OP described.  In my opinion, the Japanese way is awkward and weird and does not increase shifting speed.  

NOPE.... I've been riding Japanese bikes, dirt and sport, for many, many years. Yamahas for the last 25, and none of them have/had a clutch action like that. It is not adjusted correctly, or it's worn out....
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1985 GS450L
2004 SV650S
2006 GSX-R 1000 (stolen)

Powers Stuntworx

Their stuff is really nice and if the colors are picked carefully most people would never notice you had them on your bike until up close. I am taking my bike down to them this summer for a custom set on my Aprilia. With a $6k+ paint job, I'm not taking chances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top