Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2004 6:27:28 PM EDT
What should it be?  (And at what age?)

I'm not counting the Chipmunk as that's a given first starter rifle -- I'm thinking of the rifle they'll cherish into adulthood as their "first gun."  (I'm presuming the chipmunk is appropriate for a well behaved 5 year old?)

Also it's almost a given that it should be a .22LR.

Bolt action?

Lever?

Semi-auto?

I'm kind of partial to this Ruger 10/22 (a reliable .22 auto in a classic muzzleloader profile):

www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1131&return=Y

I understand that a lever action or bolt gun would be more "classic," but in this day and age I think being an enjoyable shooter would but just as important.

So, what say the forum?

I'm not in a situation where I can make use of this information, I'm just curious.  My shooting buddy has his "first gun" stories, but unfortunately I didn't have that experience.

Corey
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Single-shot, i.e. loading one round into the rifle at a time, bolt-action. .22lr.
At least until safe gun-handling technique have been programmed. Age depends on the kid, decide on a case to case basis. Between 7 and 14 years of age, depending on maturity.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, on the Bolt action!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
When my son was eight and for his birthday he received a carbine Ruger 10/22 stainless.  He's 18 now and will soon leave for Paris Island and this rifle along with his AR and FAL are his favorite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger has the 40th Anniversary 10/22 this year, comes with a medallion in the stock and a clear 10 round mag...I bought one just to give it away to a kid someday in the future.

This is not my auction or anyone I know, don't bid.
www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=18372561
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my oldest son (7 at the time) a Marlin bolt action (can't remember the mod #).  It was a little long and heavy for him so I traded it for a used Marlin 39 lever action.  It is shorter and fit him better.  I put a red dot on it and at 30 yards he is dead on with it.

For my youngest boy, this coming birthday I was thinking about a Taurus Mod 62 pump.  He has told me that he likes the looks of it and that it would be fun to shoot.  Guess I will have to look at the next fun show and see what is available.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Am I getting the impression that by starting kids on bolt, lever or pump guns it is:

1.  Safer; and

2.  Teaches them better gunhandling (and maybe even mechanical?) skills than an autoloader.

Am I right?

Corey
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Bolt action, with a spacer in place of the clip to ensure only one round at a a time.
(Seen 'em formed from plastic, or made from wood. Factory might or might not have 'em, but making one shouldn;t be too hard if you have to got that route) This way, it's also one less "moving part" to confuse 'em.

Once the youngster understands masters the fundamentals, you can give 'em the clip.

If it's a permanently mounted mag, remove the spring and block it so follower stays on top, or remove spring & follower and block as above.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My 6yr old nephew has his first rifle(first gun, period) sitting here at my house.  It is a Ruger Compact Rifle, in .223.  Has the stainless with laminted wood stock.  It is an absolutely beautiful rifle.  I love it.

He will learn to shoot a rifle with this gun.

When should he start, age-wise?  Opinions, guys??
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
BOLT GUN!

Don't let them learn the concept of "It's Ok, I got another shot" like they would with a semi-auto.

They WILL think this, I have seen it many many many times in a state where a ton of kids are involved in shooting.

Nothing is wrong with the Ruger 10/22, probably the best semi auto 22LR around, with hands down the most available "enhancements"  (It is the 1911 or AR of .22LR Rifles)

I would recommend the Ruger 77/22, bolt action, EXTREMELY accurate, uses same magazines as the 10/22.   The only issue on this suggestion is the price tag.

Looking at the reliability and "overall cost of ownership", the 77/22 is an Excellent Bet for not failing, and being relatively cheap to repair if something does go wrong.   I cannot say the same for Remington bolt .22's.

Pump Action .22s are around, but they are cumbersome and confusing.

Another option:  NEF Handi Rifle in .22LR :  $250 after you put a cheap optic on it.  Break open single shot, amazingly accurate.   I would recommend this over some lesser bolt gun if worried about price.

If you are teaching 1 shot, where you want it to be, you want to start on an accurate platform.  That would be the 77/22 (match grade out of box), or the Handi Rifle (extremely accurate, and affordable).

Again, I do not recommend starting somebody shooting with a semi-auto, it is akin to giving them a Porsche for their "Learning Car".
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think people learn to take their time, aim and make each shot count with a bolt gun than with a semi.

An excellent point.

Teach irons, trigger, and "one shot" discipline first.

There can be fun later with the semis and dot sights.  But basics first.

Corey
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My 6yr old nephew has his first rifle(first gun, period) sitting here at my house.  It is a Ruger Compact Rifle, in .223.  Has the stainless with laminted wood stock.  It is an absolutely beautiful rifle.  I love it.

He will learn to shoot a rifle with this gun.

When should he start, age-wise?  Opinions, guys??

Around 8 years old with pellet gun, .22LR around same, depending on abilities.  Something with recoil, basically as he grows into it.  Some start younger, some don't get started until their late teens (when they want a "Glock nine" for their first gun).

Start early, teach safety and accuracy over seeing how many rounds they can get downrange in 10 seconds. (that is for us grownups! )

They will know as they go, you can let them try the "next notch up", and if things go wrongly, have them practice more on the previous "stepping stone", and try to spend as much time with them as you can while they play!  

(oh, and don't tease them with bumpfiring while they are trying to hit a pop can with the pellet gun...)
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We were both typing at the same time.  

You make some excellent points.

Thank you!

Corey
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My first rifle was a Model 67 Winchester   Bolt action single shot  you learn real quick that you cant waste any ammo with it  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
an M14 would be good

or maybe a .22 bolt action would be better
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Single-shot, i.e. loading one round into the rifle at a time, bolt-action. .22lr.
At least until safe gun-handling technique have been programmed. Age depends on the kid, decide on a case to case basis. Between 7 and 14 years of age, depending on maturity.

This is sound advice and from a Texan also!

Aimless also had an excellent point and to think he is banned at Full Auto!

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top