Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 4:41:47 AM EDT
Nice to have things a bit warmer here in Michigan.

[url=http://www.heraldpalladium.com/display/inn_news/news1.txt]The Herald Palladium[/url]

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

House burned, police vehicles vandalized during Benton Harbor riot

By TED HARTZELL / H-P Metro Editor and LYNN STEVENS / H-P Staff Writer

BENTON HARBOR -- Hundreds of people rioted late Monday night and early this morning along a four-block stretch of Empire Avenue in apparent anger over a police chase early Monday in which a Benton Harbor motorcyclist died.

Rioters burned a vacant house, damaged three Benton Harbor police vehicles and hit several police officers with bricks and bottles, police said.

[red]Police said some people also fired off shots, but police said they themselves did not shoot[/red].

The clusters of people dispersed peacefully around 2 a.m. after police using a loudspeaker urged people to go home or face being charged with felonies. Approximately 60 police had converged on the scene, with state police coming from as far away as the Battle Creek and White Pigeon posts.

The violence happened in the same area where Terrance Shurn, 28, was killed around 2 a.m. Monday when his motorcycle crashed into an abandoned house at Empire and Pavone Street. The quiet, impromptu vigils that had been kept at the site in Shurn's honor were replaced late at night by violence. The house that was torched, and which was reduced to only a charred skeleton, was across the street from the accident site.

Around 6:30 this morning, several hours after the riot ended, a fire engulfed an abandoned house at 765 Lavette St., the Benton Township Fire Department said. That fire is just blocks from Monday's fire at the abandoned house.

It was not immediately known if the later fire was tied in with the earlier violence.

The street violence, which began about 11 p.m., followed violent words earlier in the evening by some of about three dozen people who showed up at Benton Harbor City Hall for a City Commission meeting. Angry at Shurn's death, they protested high-speed police chases in general. Some made threatening remarks about Benton Harbor police.

When the rioting broke out, the Benton Harbor police were first on the scene. But Chief Samuel Harris pointed out that he typically has [red]only three officers on patrol at any one time[/red]. Anticipating trouble, he had held back his three day-shift patrol officers until late at night, but when no trouble developed, he let them go home.

But a short time later trouble did brew on the streets.

"They called me a little after 11" p.m., Harris said around 2 this morning as he stood at the police command center of Empire and Broadway amid a small army of police and their vehicles.

Harris said rioters were "throwing bottle and bricks and what-not at the police cars. Later they set a house on fire."

"They bricked us so bad" that firefighters and police couldn't get to the burning house, he said. The sheriff's department said several nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution because the fire department wasn't able to immediately get to the burning house.

Harris said officers did not have shields and other protective equipment at first, but they went and got them and returned.

"We charged in and cleared the street," said Harris, who as Benton Harbor police chief was in charge of all police on the scene.

In the aftermath, Empire Avenue was littered with broken glass and bricks.

Police turned out in force from surrounding departments to bolster the small Benton Harbor department. A SWAT team, a police dog and an armored vehicle - the Berrien County Sheriff's Department's Peacekeeper - were among the defenses police had as they massed at the intersection of Empire and Broadway, a block from the burning house and motorcycle accident site. Police departments that sent officers included St. Joseph Township, the city of St. Joseph and several posts of the state police. The sheriff's department sent a large force.

Many police cars were positioned in the intersection and in the parking lot of a party store.

A reporter arriving around 1:30 saw clusters of people gathered east of the intersection along Empire Avenue.

A few women expressed anger at what they said was a pattern of harassment by Benton Township police. It was a policeman from that department who pursued Shurn into Benton Harbor after a sheriff's deputy had earlier stopped pursuing him, state police said.

"[red]They harass us, they pull us over for nothing," Evette Taylor said of Benton Township police. "We fed up. When do you say 'Enough!' [/red]" [i][Mind you, there are only 3 cops on patrol at a time in this city. - FC][/i]

Taylor, who lives on Columbus Avenue, said she and other people had been putting flowers and other items at the motorcycle crash site and trying to grieve Shurn's death when police asked them to move.

"He was a sweet person, and he don't deserve to die this way," she said.

Anger in City Hall

More than three dozen angry people crowded the regular Monday night audience at the City Commission meeting and spilled into the hall. They came to protest all high-speed police chases in the wake of Shurn's death.

Ordinary Benton Harbor protocol requires people addressing the commission to state their names and addresses before speaking. Only a few of the protesters bothered. [red]They said they wanted to spend every second of their allotted time threatening Benton Harbor police - who were not involved in the chase[/red] - and demanding some kind of action from the commissioners.

A man who identified himself as Micah from Union Street embraced most of the crowd's complaints in his comments. He said, "All of you here heard and knew the chase was called off."

He said state police (actually the sheriff's deputies) called off the chase, but a Benton Township officer saw the motorcycle speed by and pursued Shurn into the city.

"How can somebody come into our city and chase somebody? What's going to be done?" he asked.

Mayor Charles Yarbrough called for order in the commission chambers so police Chief Harris could answer. But the crowd derided Harris and interrupted his explanations.

Harris said because the police chase was multi-jurisdictional, he turned it over to the state police to investigate. He told the crowd that Benton Harbor does not use the same radio frequency as do Benton Township, the sheriff's department, St. Joseph and surrounding departments, so the only way those departments can communicate with Benton Harbor is through police dispatch, and that takes a phone call instead of instant radio contact.

He tried to explain further, but the crowd shouted him down.

"The chief ain't from here," one man yelled. "He don't know nothin.'"

[red]"We don't need no chief," another said. "We can chief ourselves."[/red]

Harris spoke a little louder. "We can't respond if you don't allow me to respond." The yelling and rumblings continued for a minute, then the crowd quieted.

"I understand the emotion here, but as chief of police there are laws I have to follow," Harris said.

He explained that state and federal laws allow police to cross into other jurisdictions if they are in hot pursuit of a suspect. He said he was called about 2:30 a.m. Monday, about a half hour after the cycle crashed, and only learned of the incident then. Harris said that because he had not heard the chase itself, he did not know any more than they did why Shurn was pursued. But he explained, "In this county, you can go anywhere in Berrien County and make an arrest."

"Because we do not have an accident reconstructionist, I asked the state police to investigate," Harris continued. The noise level in the commission chamber rose, and a woman near the door yelled repeatedly, "What was his (Shurn's) crime?"
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
further info, same newspaper:

Police: Chase exceeded 100 mph

By KAY DOWNER / H-P Staff Writer

BENTON HARBOR -- A high-speed police chase that sparked a riot in Benton Harbor Monday night ended when a 28-year-old Benton Harbor man lost control of his motorcycle and it crashed into an abandoned house.

The driver was identified as Terrance Shurn of 635 Columbus Ave. State police said he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The crash occurred about 2 a.m. on Pavone Street near Empire Avenue after what state police said was an interrupted chase involving patrol officers from the Berrien County Sheriff's Department and Benton Township Police Department.

The chase began on U.S. 31 in the Scottdale area of Royalton Township when Berrien County Deputy Mark Lundin saw two high-performance motorcycles traveling north toward Benton Harbor [red]faster than 100 mph[/red], state police said.

Shurn was presumably driving one of these motorcycles, said Lt. Joseph Zangaro of the state police's Bridgman post.

Lundin briefly pursued the motorcycles north on 31 but broke off the chase because of the cycles' high speed, Zangaro said.

[red]A short time later, Benton Township Patrolman Wes Koza saw one of the cycles speeding near the intersection of Starlite Drive and Union Street and ignoring stop signs. He began pursuing it.[/red]

Koza followed the fast-moving motorcycle onto Broadway and into the city of Benton Harbor, watching as it [red]crossed residential yards and came back on the street and continued to run through stop signs[/red], state police said.

Koza was [red]several blocks behind Shurn when the cycle crashed into the abandoned house[/red], Zangaro said.

An autopsy was scheduled for Monday afternoon. Zangaro said it will take 10 days to two weeks before the [red]toxicology results[/red] are in to determine what Shurn might have had in his system.

State police said it was not immediately known why Shurn was speeding when first observed by police. Sgt. Jim Campbell of the state police Accident Reconstruction Unit in Paw Paw is in charge of the investigation.

Copyright 2003 The Herald-Palladium
View Quote

Perhaps they are just following in their parents' footsteps....

[url=http://www.michigan.gov/dmva/0,1607,7-126-2360_3003_3009-27393--,00.html]Benton Harbor, 1966[/url]

Michigan did not escape the the middle 1960s as they turned hot and violent in many U.S. cities. Street violence erupted in Benton Harbor on August 30, 1966 and Governor George Romney ordered out 1,790 Guardsmen to quell the riot. By September 5th, Benton Harbor was quieted and the Guardsmen returned to their armories.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
at least you guys have CCW
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
So, what was his crime?

Tom
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesing that the race of those involved was not mentioned.  Sad that it is always afactor in this nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, what was his crime?

Tom
View Quote

Looks like speeding in excess of 100 mph, running from the police, and trespassing.

Oh, and I forgot, vandalism to the vacant house.  And littering.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesing that the race of those involved was not mentioned.  Sad that it is always afactor in this nonsense.
View Quote

Benton Harbor Michigan Demographics

Race:
White = 5.48%
Black or African American = 92.4%

Median Age: 25.4

(Thanks to The_Macallan [;)] )
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
House burned, police vehicles vandalized during Benton Harbor riot

"The chief ain't from here," one man yelled. "He don't know nothin.'"

[red]"We don't need no chief," another said. "We can chief ourselves."[/red]

View Quote

Yeah, you idiots are doing a real find job of "chiefing" yourselves.

Yeah...you idiots are doing a real fine job of tearing up your own shit to get a stupid point across.  

I wish someone would just shoot their dumb asses.  You run from the police not once but twice in the same night.  You lose control and ride into a house and die.  TOUGH COOKIES...DON'T RUN FROM THE POLICE IDIOT!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe he should have stopped for the cop instead of crashing into the house.  Sorry if that seems too simple a solution... it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

[%|]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I figure these things have to happen from time to time
Usually between the lifespan of the average 32" television
After all appliances aquired during [s] riots [/s] demonstrations isnt really stealing...
because the POE lease really dont investigate these kinds of losses
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, what was his crime?

Tom
View Quote

Looks like speeding in excess of 100 mph, running from the police, and trespassing.

View Quote

In that order, no doubt.

----------------------------------------------
Which will it be, Webster's or Oxford?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, what was his crime?

Tom
View Quote

View Quote

LOL. Nice job OP. Running from the cops is dangerous for all involved. Luckily, he only killed himself. Sounds like a mob full of idiots. Nothing worse than a stupid mob.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe he should have stopped for the cop instead of crashing into the house.  Sorry if that seems too simple a solution... it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

[%|]
View Quote

WTF are you talking about. How would that have worked? They would have killed the kid no matter what, the police were out for blood. This neighborhood is just protecting itself by destroying itself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Ah, yes, good times, good times.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how the Duh folks are interpreting this action.

As if I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
This in Benton Harlem Michigan?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes that is Benton Harlem. Loser was running from the cops with his motorcycle and ran into a house. From what I've seen he killed himself.

I watched last night on the news these losers burning cars and buildings. One news crew was attacked with another radio person in his own vehicle also attacked. One guy had his truck rolled.Another had a bottle of beer thrown into his face while he was driving.

I loved the interview with the MAyor and the council membes on Police procedures. I could hardly understand the language these elected officials used to talk with everyone.When I heard the mayor say "wit someone" I just laughed.

The sad thing is they burn their own town down. Not that there ismuch there to burn down. A few wig shops ,a liquor store and a few take joints.

I had to send one of my drivers up there today to make a delivery. I told him to call the customer to see what the atmosphere was like and use his own judgement.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
It is not a nice place!  And I dont understand why they would want to make it worse.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Benton Harbor Michigan Demographics

Race:
White = 5.48%
Black or African American = 92.4%

Median Age: 25.4

(Thanks to The_Macallan [;)] )
View Quote

The local Detroit morning radio show (Drew and Mike 101 WRIF) made it very clear that its a predominately black neighborhood.  Funny how this kind of stuff never happens in my neighborhood full of farmers.  [:O]

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes that is Benton Harlem. ..
The sad thing is they burn their own town down. Not that there ismuch there to burn down. A few [b]wig shops[/b] ,a liquor store and a few take joints.

View Quote

OMG!!Nooooo... not the Weave Shack!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, what was his crime?

Tom
View Quote

View Quote

LOL. Nice job OP. Running from the cops is dangerous for all involved. Luckily, he only killed himself. Sounds like a mob full of idiots. Nothing worse than a stupid mob.
View Quote

Too bad he didn't run over and kill a 1/2 dozen jr. gang bangers. Then the "hood" wouldn't know what to do.

I love it. Black people can kill black people all day long, no problem. Let a white officer chase a black suspect who dies and it's a RACIAL CONSPIRACY.

God I wish I could burn down the houses of the people I don't like and steal a new TV and stereo everytime something happens on the news I don't like. Christ, I'd be able to start my own Pawn Shop.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, you Trolls and all your silly riots. Send those a--holes across the bridge and we'll take care of the rest. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh, you Trolls and all your silly riots. Send those a--holes across the bridge and we'll take care of the rest.
View Quote

Fireguy, you might just get your wish.  Some of them may be heading for Kinross.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh, you Trolls and all your silly riots. Send those a--holes across the bridge and we'll take care of the rest.
View Quote

Fireguy, you might just get your wish.  Some of them may be heading for Kinross.
View Quote

Oh, they are still at it are they?

Looks like your governor has ABANDOND you by the way"
[url]http://www.maconareaonline.com/news.asp?id=3067[/url]

Granholm said she hoped to avoid using National Guard troops to restore law and order in the city, something that has not been done in Michigan since race riots in the mid-1960s.

"You don't want to overreact because that may cause other unintended consequences," Granholm told reporters.
View Quote

Same reaction that LA's "leaders" had, when they let the riots there get out of control
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Bring it on! It would be the shortest riot in history, we don't put up with such nonsense here. [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I was in benton harbor just two weeks ago.  We drove up there after I got off work and it was about 5 in the morning by the time we got there.  All I have to say is what a shit hole.  We seen one guy eating of the side of the road by the home depot and at our hotel there was a guy that jumped all the way into the dumpster. he came out with a whole bag of goodies.

I don't carry a gun when I go out of Indiana but after this little trip I will.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#27]
no justiz no pece!!! ya now wat i sain?

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
no justiz no pece!!! ya now wat i sain?
View Quote

actually, no, I don't.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Funny how this kind of stuff never happens in my neighborhood full of farmers.  [:O]

Keving67
View Quote

Nor in mine either; also full of farmers.  Could it be that we're all multi-gun households with a bit of personal responsibility??  Naaaa.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't carry a gun when I go out of Indiana but after this little trip I will.
View Quote

jrm - Michigan has recipricity with Indiana re: CCW, so you should be good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top