Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/17/2004 4:35:08 PM EST
This should be a rule in any argument.

I hate analogies.

Analogies only prove that the user has run out of logic or facts, and must resort to mild obfuscation in order to present a point.

Agree or disagree?

BTW, I'm ready for all of my fellow smartasses to post their analogies. However, please vote truthfully in the upcoming poll. Otherwise, it will be like driving on a tack-filled road with a flat tire for a spare.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:36:16 PM EST
Well ya know if an idiot uses an analogy in his argument it's like jarring your mothers preserves.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:36:43 PM EST
I think an analogy is a good way of illustrating an argument. For example, I often compare the gun controller's desire to strip away our 2nd amendment rights to similar laws infringing on 4th and 5th criminal protections.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:37:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 4:38:34 PM EST by Greenhorn]
Sometimes analogies are the only way to get a message through someone's head. It doesn't mean that you've run out of facts.

Just giving some people a fact can be meaningless. If you put it in terms they understand, they might get the point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:38:24 PM EST
Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:38:35 PM EST
Like running through hell with gasoline underware?

Like sandpapering a wildcats ass in a phonebooth?

Like , like, like......
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:38:53 PM EST
Its like an entirely different kettle of wax.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:40:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By Riotgun:

I hate analogies.

Analogies only prove that the user has run out of logic or facts, and must resort to mild obfuscation in order to present a point.

Agree or disagree?

BTW, I'm ready for all of my fellow smartasses to post their analogies. However, please vote truthfully in the upcoming poll. Otherwise, it will be like driving on a tack-filled road with a flat tire for a spare.

There are no perfect analogies as there are no perfect assholes.....so, yes, I agree. A pet peeve here also.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:40:57 PM EST
A stitch in time is worth two in the bush...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:42:15 PM EST
I like analogies. Just keep in mind they are never perfect, but used to give someone another perspective to help them see your point.

EX: Forests in east Texas are actually pine plantations, thus: An east Texas pine plantation is to a real forest as a corn field is to a meadow. I have used this analogy when discussing the lack of wildlife per acre as well as the hazards of monoculture.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:42:19 PM EST
Annie, get your radar gun, because that hot tamale is one tall drink of water!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:43:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 4:45:36 PM EST by ZEN]

Using analogies to win an argument is like trying to wipe your ass with a hoop, ..... there's just no end to it!

There, that aught to hold ya for a while.

Zen

"This is my analogy, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:45:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 4:46:26 PM EST by AR-10]
I like analogies.

Polls, however, are highly overated, extremely overdone, and useless for providing any sort of factual conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:46:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR-10:
I like analogies.

Polls, however, are highly overated, extremely overdone, and utterly lacking in providing any sort of factual conclusion.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:48:34 PM EST
When you're arguing with a moron, its the only way sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:50:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
When you're arguing with a moron, its the only way sometimes.

From an authority on the subject of morons!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:53:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.

The best one! You sir, are an anchor of relief!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:59:28 PM EST

I hate analogies.

Agree or disagree?

Let me make an analogy.

You have two guys. Bob and Jim. Jim is smart and bob is dumber than a box of rocks. So Jim is explaining something to Bob and Bob in his stupidity doesnt understand it. So finally all out of ideas Jim decides to use an analogy to reach through the thick layers of Bob's skull. The analogy works as Bob finally understands what Jim has been saying all along.

An analogy is a way of getting a point accross to someone who is too stupid to recognise that point in the first place.

carry on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:04:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:57:39 PM EST
So, analogies are useful in discussions with people who are too stupid to understand logic or facts.

The obvious question is, why are you having discussions with people who are too stupid to understand logic or facts?

Haven't you already admitted defeat by even engaging in such discourses?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:00:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 6:02:55 PM EST by AR-10]
You have to get along with stupid people too.
That requires a certain amount of communication.

Edit to add, I don't think analogies are reserved for conversations with idiots. Just remarking that they exist, and you have to deal with them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:13:19 PM EST
I'm seeing more simile's than analogies, but it's mostly anecdotal when the hyperbole resounds with metaphorical lyricism.

...this post could hav been more funnier if I had me thesaurus and a good spell chek. (first person to accuraatly count the gramatical andspelling mistakes gits a '57 corvette (upon my death) (and only if I ever buy one) (and providing my wife doesn't wreck it or sell it first)

hip deep in it

roy d
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:18:35 PM EST

So, analogies are useful in discussions with people who are too stupid to understand logic or facts.

In principle, I think they can be usefull, even when arguing with smart people. Can't recall an actual example.

The obvious question is, why are you having discussions with people who are too stupid to understand logic or facts?

Because they can vote. In fact, they are encouraged to do so.

Haven't you already admitted defeat by even engaging in such discourses?

No. Perhaps you are wasting your time. I've argued with a few dunderheads in my time, and I like to think that some lurkers might have learned something . . .

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:37:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By RoyDamnMercer:
I'm seeing more simile's than analogies, but it's mostly anecdotal when the hyperbole resounds with metaphorical lyricism.

...this post could hav been more funnier if I had me thesaurus and a good spell chek. (first person to accuraatly count the gramatical andspelling mistakes gits a '57 corvette (upon my death) (and only if I ever buy one) (and providing my wife doesn't wreck it or sell it first)

hip deep in it

roy d

Death is like a car that disappears around a curve
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:39:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 6:40:09 PM EST by Amicus]
Analogies have been part of rhetorical exercise since before Aristotle. They have been studied, commented upon, and dealt with.

They appear strong in argument as they can provide an illustration that is simpler than the current situation or more recognizable to the target audience.

All analogies may be countered by a technique known as “reductio ad absurdum” (reduction to absurdity). Thus, you spin out the details of the two similar sets of circumstances to show that they are not actually similar at all. So, analogies are considered weak argument forms because they are so easily countered.

And don’t dump on rhetoric. People who way that a statement is “just rhetoric” are ignorant. The opening sentence of Aristotle’s Rhetoric is: ‘Rhetoric is the counterpart of the dialectic [philosophical method]. If philosophy is the study of truth, then rhetoric is the study of the possible or the plausible.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:42:01 PM EST
Some people in here aren't really supplying analogies, they're supplying similes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:43:53 PM EST
I find analogies useful in trying to explain things - but my fiancee always yells (or laughs) at me, because I always come up with really far-fetched and irrelevant analogies.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:47:08 PM EST
this topic is about as useful as screen doors on a submarine!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:50:43 PM EST
I thought it was the first one to use Nazi lost the argument.

It could also be said the first one that yells or starts to call people names has lost the discussion.
Discussion would probably be the wrong term in this case it would be more like an argument.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:52:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By RED_5:
this topic is about as useful as screen doors on a submarine!

It’s a Trap!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:59:30 PM EST
Analogies are just another tool in the argument tool box.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:35:47 PM EST
"It's like building a wonderful, livable mansion that has no septic system. It doesn't even have an outhouse," Ward said."

On the recently destroyed Nuclear Plant in Maine and lack of long term storage of waste.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:40:29 PM EST
This whole thread is as fucked up as a football bat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 7:50:15 PM EST by rayra]

I hate analogies.

Agree or disagree?

Accidental Analogy, or intentional comedy?

And 59 to 4. Looks like your position is Losing Like a One-Legged Man in and Ass-Kicking Contest
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:57:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:39:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:06:37 PM EST by omar]

Originally Posted By XxSLASHERxX:
may I have a metaphor please?

This thread is a vehicle on the road to oblivion.

Or to some doll diorama
Top Top