Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 3:14:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 3:14:13 PM EDT by roboman]
Went out today for the first time with the Nikon D70 DSLR. Took a nice walk around campus and ended up with about 15 photos. Here's my four favorites, with links to ImageShack.

First is of Old Glory. Can't go out and take photos without one of our nation's flag:
Shot in RAW, ISO 200, f/9.0, 1/160sec. Converted to max quality JPEG and downsized:

Next was a close-up shot of some kind of white clover flower-type deal.
Shot in RAW, ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/125sec, cropped close. Converted to max quality JPEG and downsized:

Next was a close-up shot of a group of red flowers.
Shot in RAW, ISO 200, f/8.0, 1/250sec. Converted to max quality JPEG and downsized:

Last shot was of a lock and chain. Nothing too fancy.
Shot in RAW, ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/50sec. Converted to max quality JPEG and downsized:

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT
We did have a nice day today, diddn't we ? Nice pics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:24:07 PM EDT
A guy I work with is big into photography and browses the web at lunch all day. Check out this site:

iphotoforum.com

He spends most of his time there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:29:22 PM EDT
Nothing wrong with those pics that wouldn't be cured by selling that Nikon and getting a Canon...

Just kidding. Hope you enjoy your new camera.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:30:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Nothing wrong with those pics that wouldn't be cured by selling that Nikon and getting a Canon...

Couldn't have afforded the 20d and the XT didn't feel good in the hands.

What do you see that's wrong with them? I'm looking to improve.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:38:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

Okay, the only thing wrong with those pics is the lighting. In the right light, any one of those pics could have been beautiful. They were all okay in the composition department. But taken when they were, the light was kind of blah. Also, I think the locked gate would look better in black and white, especially if you play with the contrast.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:38:44 PM EDT
And BTW, you can get used 20Ds for around a grand.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:40:41 PM EDT

Okay, the only thing wrong with those pics is the lighting. In the right light, any one of those pics could have been beautiful. They were all okay in the composition department. But taken when they were, the light was kind of blah. Also, I think the locked gate would look better in black and white, especially if you play with the contrast.

Hmmm....fair enough. All pics were taken around the same time, about 45 minutes before dark. Makes sense why the lighting was drab I guess. Not quite sunset for vivid light but not early enough in the day for tons of brightness.

Am I on the right track you think?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 3:41:56 PM EDT by roboman]

And BTW, you can get used 20Ds for around a grand.

That's true....

Ah well...that's life I guess .

I figure at the level I'm at, I got quite a ways to go until the D70 limits my ability.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:04:46 PM EDT
To the top for any more opinions
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:08:11 PM EDT
It might be an artifact of the compression, but all of the shots look very soft, which given you weren't shooting wide open is usually symptomatic of either poor lens quality or lack of familiarity with the AF behavior.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:27:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DavidC:
It might be an artifact of the compression, but all of the shots look very soft, which given you weren't shooting wide open is usually symptomatic of either poor lens quality or lack of familiarity with the AF behavior.

My guess is the latter. I know the kit lens with the D70 isn't the absolute top-tier of quality. The cause of this (it was this way before compression) was my relying on the camera's auto-focus set in it own little macro mode.

I'm guessing if I had set it to manual and run it wide open with manual focus things would be a hell of a lot sharper. I'm going to give it another shot tomorroe methinks.

One thing I do need is some kind of 70-200mm lens. It's pretty much impossible to sneak up close enough to a squirrel or bird with an 18-70mm to get a close-up shot
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 4:55:22 PM EDT by Observer]
These shots are kinda flat which is typical of most digital SLR's, they are generally setup to do this so they don't blow out the highlights. Reason being that it's much easier to recover information from moderately underexposed images than from even slightly overexposed images.

If you play around in your image editing program mess with the curves function and unsharp mask to really make them pop.

Have fun with it, but pickup a mainstream editing program (PSP, PS, Elements, etc.) to get the most out of your camera.

-Observer

ETA: here's a quick and dirty example of what I'm talking about...I'm not saying it's any better but it's not flat.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:04:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Observer:
These shots are kinda flat which is typical of most digital SLR's, they are generally setup to do this so they don't blow out the highlights. Reason being that it's much easier to recover information from moderately underexposed images than from even slightly overexposed images.

If you play around in your image editing program mess with the curves function and unsharp mask to really make them pop.

Have fun with it, but pickup a mainstream editing program (PSP, PS, Elements, etc.) to get the most out of your camera.

-Observer

ETA: here's a quick and dirty example of what I'm talking about...I'm not saying it's any better but it's not flat.

64.71.133.195/arfcom/flag4is0.jpg

That does look a bit better to me.

I have Photoshop 7 but am unsure what to do to fix pictures up. I can do the basics like crop or apply any of their built-in filters but other than that I'm lost. What did you do to make the flag photo look better?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 5:22:42 PM EDT by roboman]
Well, I looked up the two things you mentioned (Unsharp Mask and Curves) and played a bit with them. Here's my own fix. What do you think?

Worked with the flowers a bit as well.

This is just my extremely newbie opinion but the two fixes you recommended make the two I've worked with so far look a hell of a lot better. Much brighter and less "bleh" so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:23:08 PM EDT
They look great. How much does that camera go for if you dont mind me asking?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 5:28:54 PM EDT by roboman]

Originally Posted By BigB1129:

The camera and included lens were $1,200. You can get them for cheaper than I did though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:30:00 PM EDT
Hey Roboman, the important thing is not what I think but rather what *you* think. (You're the artiste after all!)

But for the record 'yes' I like it better.

Spending the time to improve your photos in software will always pay off, otherwise you're just letting the camera decide for you.

Have fun. Shoot often.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:31:57 PM EDT

The camera and included lens were $1,200. You can get them for cheaper than I did though.

nice, How about some gun or shooting pics?

or probably you dont have your guns at school with you
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:32:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Observer:
Hey Roboman, the important thing is not what I think but rather what *you* think. (You're the artiste after all!)

But for the record 'yes' I like it better.

Spending the time to improve your photos in software will always pay off, otherwise you're just letting the camera decide for you.

Have fun. Shoot often.

I'm aware of that. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongfully so ) that you know more about this than myself. At the time of initially posting the photos, I thought they looked pretty good. However, after listening to you and RikWriter, I went back (as I've shown) and touched up a few of them, and as a result like the newly-tweaked photos a lot better than the originals.

It was only after I had them side by side as unmodified vs. tweaked that I see the improvements you can get with Photoshop and some tweaking.

I had a good time shooting today and plan to go out tomorrow for round two!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:35:47 PM EDT

nice, How about some gun or shooting pics?

or probably you dont have your guns at school with you

Don't have any at school with me
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:10:22 PM EDT
I believe rawShooter Essentials support snIkon RAW files (I'm a Canon user myself). It's a great program and it's free.

www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

It will let you manipulate the raw image in a number of ways and preview your changes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:19:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DavidC:
I believe rawShooter Essentials support snIkon RAW files (I'm a Canon user myself). It's a great program and it's free.

www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

It will let you manipulate the raw image in a number of ways and preview your changes.

That's what I've been using to open RAW and convert over to TIFF or JPEG.
Top Top