Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/15/2001 7:06:07 AM EDT
Anyone have any suggestions on which firewall software to use with a DSL connection? Looking for ones that keep info in and hackers out. Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:23:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LE6920: Anyone have any suggestions on which firewall software to use with a DSL connection? Looking for ones that keep info in and hackers out. Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks
View Quote
If you're looking for something free, try ZoneAlarm. I've been using it since I got DSL. It seems to be working pretty well, and you can't beat the price! [url]http://www.zonelabs.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:26:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:28:11 AM EDT
I have BlackIce...
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:28:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LE6920: Looking for ones that keep info in and hackers out. Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks
View Quote
Those are the best kind... [;)] I use a free solution as well. Tiny Personal Firewall. You can run it relatively painlessly at first, and once you're comfortable you can set up some very specific rules about which ports, protocols, and addresses can come in and go out of your network. [url]www.tinysoftware.com[/url] Viper Out
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:32:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Noname: I have BlackIce...
View Quote
It's a shame BlackIce isn't actually Black IC (intruder countermeasures that harm the hardware of the intruder as well as the intruder). Oh well, there'd probably be some major liability/legal issues involved even if they could make the stuff... [:)] Still... I'd even settle for grey IC (just damages the hardware of the intruder). Too much NetRunner for me, I guess. Viper Out
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:45:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:50:36 AM EDT
Consider a router in the line b/t your dsl modem and your computer. Hardware protection.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:04:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Norm_G: Consider a router in the line b/t your dsl modem and your computer. Hardware protection.
View Quote
thanks for replies, guys Norm, what exactly would a router do?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:11:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:24:16 AM EDT
Exactly. 4 port routers, if you want to tie together other computers in your house go for about $75 to $100, and of course up. Some have a printer port right on the router, so a printer can be on the system without going through a PC. Some are now wireless, more $. Great fun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:29:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:31:29 AM EDT
I used the Linksys 4 port router, with Firewall and wireless base. Lets you share the internet connection with all the PC's in my home, plus I hook up all my neighbors with free internet access via wireless. The hardware firewall is good stuff, not as much logging/alarm capability as a software solution, but this way I dont have to run any crap on my home system... let the hardware box take care of it all. I can host web servers, email servers, anything behind it. I have hooked up a few small business clients with this solution, and it works great for them. Linksys 1-ports are $60, 4-ports are $80, and one like mine runs $190 or so.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:33:35 AM EDT
Black Ice on all my computers. I highly recommend it. [url]http://www.networkice.com[/url] Jay Arizona
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2001 9:45:41 AM EDT by Steelviper]
Originally Posted By FALARAK: I used the Linksys 4 port router, with Firewall and wireless base. The hardware firewall is good stuff, not as much logging/alarm capability as a software solution, but this way I dont have to run any crap on my home system...
View Quote
Hardware solutions are cool... however if you're REALLY serious about security, some of the cheaper solutions aren't perfect. Most of the most reasonably priced hardware "firewall" routers just use NAT (natural address translation) to hide you from the real world. A properly configured NAT firewall will protect you from: Port Scans WinNuke (and other Port 139-based attacks) Smurf (protection against LAN Clients being used as part of the "Amplifier network") Connection or service requests that did not originate from the LAN side of the firewall. If you want to be REALLY tough, you get a router that utilizes 'stateful packet inspection'. Such a router takes a look at each and every packet and makes a decision whether to allow it, deny it, or ignore it (deny it, but not let the sender know it was denied). NAT routers do a simple form of this, but SPI routers take a closer look at the contents of the packets. A Stateful Packet Inspection system like the Sonicwall ([url]http://www.sonicwall.com/products/index.asp[/url]) can handle such tasks as: blocking Java, ActiveX, and Cookie portions of downloaded web pages blocking access to WAN Proxy servers blocking "IP Spoofing" attacks blocking malformed IP packet attacks such as "Ping of Death", and variants such as "Teardrop", "Bonk", and "Nestea" blocking SYN flood and LAND attacks A good test of a firewall is to check to see if it is ICSA certified. They're a security organization, and do some fairly extensive testing before certifying something. [url]http://www.trusecure.com/html/secsol/certifiedproducts.shtml[/url] For some reviews of firewalls, also check out [url]www.firewallguide.com[/url] Viper Out
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2001 9:39:40 AM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:02:39 PM EDT
Been using zonealarm for about 8 mo and love it, altho you have to watch out about some of the other programs trying to be a proxy server. Also, consider using zonelog with it. [url]www.zonealarm.com[/url] and [url]http//zonelog.co.uk[/url] Borg
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:15:00 PM EDT
Here's one more possibility: [url]http://www.sygate.com/free/spf_download.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:41:18 PM EDT
I've tried more than a few. And since I don't run my own l33t hax0r lab to see which one's best, here's what I've seen. Security-wise, I'll quote what I've read in industry publications...on the user side, firewalls tend to make themselves known to the user from time to time with pop-up windows with notifications and questions on settings. BlackICE Defender: at first everybody was all excited when it came out, but nowadays, I've heard rumorings that it doesn't protect against certain types of attacks. McAffee Firewall: I still hear good things about it security-wise. I ran this software for awhile and noticed that it was more "intrusive" than other firewalls I've worked with. The version I had didn't run on Windows 2000, so I stopped using it. Norton Firewall: Another one that the pundits say is fairly secure. At first, it pops up quite a bit as it learns your system, but after awhile, the questions become less and less as you enter your preferences to where it does most things automatically. Tiny Personal Firewall: I haven't used this one, but close friends do and swear by it. ZoneAlarm: My brother is currently running it, I've put it on many people's computer and after the initial shakedown period when it learns what settins you want, it's not very intrusive user-wise and security-wise it rates near the top according to various publications NAT hardware firewall: I'm most familiar with the Linksys and Netgear's offering in the consumer router market. Both do an excellent job filtering out the script-kiddies. There's numerous settings allowing for more benefits than just the firewall such as sharing more than one computer on a single cable/dsl IP connection, allowing multiple computers to share files and printing functions, etc. Windows XP firewall: This built-in firewall in Windows XP does do certain firewall functions such as closing some previously open ports that people have taken advantage of to access people's systems. But the Windows XP firewall would seem to fall short on being a full-fledged protection system. On the other hand, when it's running, you rarely hear from it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:56:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LE6920:
Originally Posted By Norm_G: Consider a router in the line b/t your dsl modem and your computer. Hardware protection.
View Quote
thanks for replies, guys Norm, what exactly would a router do?
View Quote
A router gives you full control over your inbound traffic. Software firewalls also do this, but you must run them on your local machine... so there's some overhead on your PC. The hardware firewall give protection to other computers on your network as well. They will both work, but the router is my personal favorite. If you're running DSL and want to run more than one machine on it, you can get a router like the Linksys [url]http://shop3.outpost.com/product/2957055[/url]. This is the one I have. It's PAINLESS to install even for a complete novice. You just plug it in and go... it auto-detects 99% of the things you need to enter. Truly amazing. Get this, for that $159 price you also get WIRELESS connectivity! I can roam around the house with my laptop and never plug it in to a network cable. Now that's cool... but the PCMCIA cards are $100 each. I would get the router... that way you can set-up a webserver, mail server, game server or 4 PC's (or more) without paying for more than one static OR dynamic IP from your DSL provider!
Top Top