Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2002 4:32:19 PM EDT
Anybody watching Firefly? All I can say is "lesbians". Well alright! [bounce]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Lesbians(for hire), Guns, and ears gettin' chopped off!!

Finally, a series that has it all!!! I won't miss an episode!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Wow, lesbians and guns?  I gotta check this out.  When is it on?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wow, lesbians and guns?  I gotta check this out.  When is it on?
View Quote

Currently it's on Friday 8EST on Fox.  There has been some rumor that it might get moved to another night, if Fox doesn't cancel it in their infinite wisdom [%|] The Trekoid fanboys have been whining about the lack of "realism"..."why are they using _guns_!! instead of phasers?" etc.

More info [url]http://www.tvguide.com/showguide/ShowPage.asp?iprogramid=3540236[/url]

As beautiful as Inara (the Companion) is I think Kaylee (engineer) is the one I'd rather have as a girlfriend.    My favorite character is Jayne though.  Kinda of a cross between Jethro Bodine, Spike (B:TVS) & Burt Gummer (Tremors)    
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Love that show, haven't missed an episode.  I hear the original 2-hour series opener that they never showed will be aired as the show finale though :(  Damn FOX bastards...

And I think the show is pretty realistic compared to every other space show.  Just because we can travel in space doesn't mean we have mega ultra energy weapons, have eliminated money, beam people to and from planets, and can create objects including complex stuff from thin air.  Firefly is the only scifi show I've seen that has no sound during any of the exterior space and ship shots too...  I like that they use firearms, I bet that is most likely what they'd still be using, especially on the frontier with outlaws and stuff...
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
AR-15Fan I couldn't agree more Re the realism.  Several folks on Usenet have explained repeatedly to the Trekoids why Firefly makes much more sense than Trek but the fanboys still can't get over the lack of rayguns or other Trek deus ex machina.  They refuse to realize that recently terraformed frontier planets would make use of horses & lower tech stuff produced locally.   Not to mention the PC little bedwetting bitches who get their panties in a knot because Mal & Zoe are basically ex-Confederates.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it; it reminds me of Traveller from days gone by.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw it once (as I work on Fridays)....

I have to concurr with Dennis Rodman's character from Demolition Man: "This is the **th Century! Where are all the phaser guns?"
Well, not exactly phasers (or any other 'vaporize your whole body or stun you at the flip of a button' whiz-bang gadget), but some sort of enhanced weaponry. The present day military has turret-lasers that can shoot down artillery shells. By the time we figure out interplanetary flight (if we do), energy weapons of some sort should be common (think: no need to carry all that heavy ammo, just re-charge.)...

Seriously, when we've developed technology for interplanetary flight, I would hope that weapons design isn't stuck back in 1910, with only basic firearms and light swords (as in light weight, i.e. as opposed to 'heavy' swords, not as in lightsaber)....
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy this show could care less about realism, just like the fact that they use fire-arms..I also think its cool that the guns range from the lever action to high-teck looking autos..It also reminds me of the Traveler rpg game somewhat like D&D.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Egad!  Looks like I'm not the only former rpg-geek.  Firefly seems like they writers took notes during our game sessions.  Hardly any of our characters carried "high tech" weapons even though we could easily afford them (piracy pays much better than legit commerce.[}:D])  The characters that did carry sci-fi gats-ex Imperial jarheads, etc- didn't bother with lasers.  More like black market plasma or fusion guns, gauss rifles etc.  Everybody else usually packed smg's or shotguns-nothing beats a street howitzer for CQB in a merchant ship.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw it once (as I work on Fridays)....

I have to concurr with Dennis Rodman's character from Demolition Man.
View Quote

It was Wesley Snipes. Not Dennis Rodman[;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was that the show from the early 1980's where the guy had a little pocket watch sized thing that had a green and red light on it telling when his job was done and he could return to his time? Or am I thinking of another show[?]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quantum Leap.

I did not know this from memory...I had to look it up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone catch the episode a few weeks back where Jayne wanted to trade his rifle for a girl?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]
A great show. Good stories, interesting characters and dialogue, libertarian politics and firearms too.
 Re the firearms, I think they'll be around for a long time, especially in your more "third world" environments. Some sort of energy weapons would be used ship-to-ship or ground-to-air but for settling personal disputes the gun's low weight , low cost and near indestructability are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quantum Leap.

I did not know this from memory...I had to look it up.
View Quote

If you are responding to my post, thats not it. I know about Quantum Leap.
The show I'm thinking about was on around 1983 if I remember right and didn't last very long. I believe it was "Traveler" or something like that[>:/]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Traveller (the rpg) was a hoot. We had a great game of that going on for several months.

haven't seen firefly yet, sounds like I'll have to catch it before Fox cancels it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I were just talking about Jane's rifle last night during the episode.  I tried to explain that "See, Jane named his rifle and he's OK.  Why do you think I'm unstable?"
Couldn't remember what he named it though.  Anybody remember?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone catch the episode a few weeks back where Jayne wanted to trade his rifle for a girl?
View Quote

His [b]FAVORITE[/b] rifle. That was the episode where he later fired the rifle in the unpressurized cargo bay, and there was no sound. Good science in this one, pretty often.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife and I were just talking about Jane's rifle last night during the episode.  I tried to explain that "See, Jane named his rifle and he's OK.  Why do you think I'm unstable?"
Couldn't remember what he named it though.  Anybody remember?
View Quote

Vera.  Haven't watched all of last nights yet.  The first time we met Vera Jayne said something about her needing an atmosphere to function...Hollywood inaccuracy or is it possible that Vera uses a liquid fuel cell/caseless set-up.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#20]
How about some pics of these lesbian chicks?

ARH
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#21]
A great show that hasn't really been given a good chance to find its feet. If you remember the first season of ST:TNG, it's a miracle it got renewed for a second year. It matured and turned out episodes like "The Best of Both Worlds" and "Yesterday's Enterprise". Firefly has already turned out some great episodes and great one-liners. Fox is dragging its feet on this one, but they've ordered a few more episodes beyond the initial contract. No word about a new season that I've heard about, though.
What's not to like? Swearing in Chinese, spaceships, guns, Ron Glass from "Barney Miller", and a Registered Companion involved in a shameless lesbian ratings ploy. I love the show, and wish it were better advertised.

About the RPG-ers here:
Count me in. Can you imagine a group of AR-15'ers playing D+D? Someone would be asking about the legality of a folding stock full-auto crossbow with "twang supressor" AND a shortsword lug within the first five minutes of the game.

I am a dweeb.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#22]
That's it, Vera.  That was a scene written for us!  I thought the scene with no sound was cool also.  Have they explained what Ron Glass did during the war?  It looks like he was some type of high ranking officer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#23]
[url]http://www.fox.com/firefly/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's it, Vera.  That was a scene written for us!  I thought the scene with no sound was cool also.  Have they explained what Ron Glass did during the war?  It looks like he was some type of high ranking officer.
View Quote

No explanation as of yet Re Book.  The Yankee...err Alliance goon changed his tune right quick after reading Book's ID card.  I suspect he was awarded the Firefly equivalent of the MOH before he became a Shepherd.  

(edited because I can't spell or write good [BD])
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No explanation as of yet Re Book.  The Yankee...err Alliance goon changed his tune right quick after reading Book's ID card.  I suspect he was awarded the Firefly equivalent of the MOH before he found he became a Shepard.  
View Quote

That would make sense.  Here is the description from the web page:
[img]http://www.fox.com/firefly/images/cast_ron.gif[/img]
Book – “The Shepherd”
He is a priest, older and a little wiser than the rest of the crew. It is unclear if Book is on a mission to spread the word of God throughout the universe or on a personal “walk-a-bout.” He’s found God, but he still needs to find himself.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The show I'm thinking about was on around 1983 if I remember right and didn't last very long. I believe it was "Traveler" or something like that[>:/]
View Quote

The show was "Voyagers".

IIRC, John Erik Hexum was in the starring role. This was the actor that died after he shot himself in the head with a blank.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Vera.  Haven't watched all of last nights yet.  The first time we met Vera Jayne said something about her needing an atmosphere to function...Hollywood inaccuracy or is it possible that Vera uses a liquid fuel cell/caseless set-up.  
View Quote

They got around the atmosphere requirement by putting Vera in a suit leading to a great line to the effect of Vera gets to go out on the town when she dresses up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The show was "Voyagers".

IIRC, John Erik Hexum was in the starring role. This was the actor that died after he shot himself in the head with a blank.
View Quote

Thanks alot Moose. I appreciate it.
Heres a website about the series if anyone is interested [url]http://members.aol.com/Voyagers64/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
It is growing on me more and more. I espcially liked this weeks for the line at the end. Where the captain is getting the crap kicked out of him and she stops them from shooting the guy doing the crap kicking because this is something he has to do for himself, and you here the strangled "No! no it's not,) and they all shoot at the guy.
So funny. I want you all to remember that. If you ever come across me getting the crap kick out of me, just shoot the bastard.
Now if I am kicking the crap out of him, feel free to hand me a gun.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#30]
When the captain kicked the bad guy into the engine intake, I knew I was going to like the series. And there are guns and lesbians...nobody's mentioned that for a while.[:D]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Who are the lesbians? The times I have watched it I never so no lesbians.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Who are the lesbians? The times I have watched it I never saw no lesbians.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Me too, the badguy-into-the-engine-intake scene completely sold me on the show.  You don't see that in every other show on TV.  However, tonights left me feeling a little empty when they apparently didn't kill that old man who was torturing Mal.  You better believe I would have cut that bastard up...  Another prime candidate to be introduced to the engine intake...
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I will have to check out that show.

As regards "Traveller", that was a great game. I loved the way computers took up whole deck areas of space.

I always carried an SMG too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Me too, the badguy-into-the-engine-intake scene completely sold me on the show.  You don't see that in every other show on TV.  However, tonights left me feeling a little empty when they apparently didn't kill that old man who was torturing Mal.  You better believe I would have cut that bastard up...  Another prime candidate to be introduced to the engine intake...
View Quote

He didn't kill the old guy because he was so rudely interrupted by the old guy's big henchman(the one shot by the crew after the aforementioned "No it's not!" line).  I think he said something to the effect that he wished that he killed the old guy, and someone else agreed.  This is probably a means for the old guy to come back to haunt them in a later episode.(Which will hopefully see the light of day)
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who are the lesbians? The times I have watched it I never saw no lesbians.
View Quote

In this last ep Inara (the Companion) had a female client.  It's also been speculated that Kaylee (engineer) might be bi inclined...not on the show just yet but supposedly in the unaired pilot (to be aired in a bit) Jayne makes some comment to the effect...or it could just be sour grapes on his part 'she won't sleep with me, must be a lesbian..'.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is probably a means for the old guy to come back to haunt them in a later episode.
View Quote

Actually, I'm hoping for an episode where they hunt the old guy down to ensure he doesn't mess with them ever again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Kaylee met the captain when he caught his previous engineer boffing her in the engine room. And she has flirted with the doctor on occasion.

I haven't seen any explanation for Faster than Light travel yet.

Geez, the captain has been shot, stabbed, tortured, beat up etc etc.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top