Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
Today was one of THE best days I've had in a while. Now when I say my first AR, what I really mean is the first AR owned by me. Actually it is the first firearm I personally own (not including the AK that's sitting in pieces in a box).  Now I have had plenty of trigger time with other guns but this was totally different.

I started building it just before the ban ended. I bought piece by piece as my money on hand would allow. It took me about 1 1/2 months to finally complete it. So now I have my Bushy m4gery.

I made it out to the range today with a friend who brought along a few of his guns. I had a couple hundred rounds of both Winchester and Wolf .223 with me. I loaded a single Winchester round into a mag, mainly just to make sure everything performed like it should, as I did not want a full mag if it started to slam-fire. I slammed the mag in, pulled the charging handle and aimed it down range, and squeezed the trigger...BLAM. A gunshot had never sounded so sweet to me. To be firing out of my first gun, an AR15 nonetheless.

After that I loaded a single round just for good measure. After that it was no-holds barred. I didn't have anything to adjust my front sight with and it was shooting about 6"-8" high but that didnt stop me from having a good time. After a couple boxes of Winchester, I loaded some Wolf just to see if it would take it. After a few mags of that, it seems like it likes Wolf just as much as anything else.

But seriously, out of all the rounds I fired that day, or any rounds I have ever fired, I will remember how good that first shot today made me feel for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, man.

The sickness just gets worse from here.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Ain't it just GREAT?!?!? Good job!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a round of ammo to adjust the front sight post.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You were better off smoking crack..It's less addicting...

Congrats!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Congrats, man.

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Use a round of ammo to adjust the front sight post.

I tried. I would push down the detent but I didn't have anything small enough to move the site. No matter though. I'll be shooting next week with somebody who has one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, it's an excellent gun. Congrats!

Also, you DID have sonthing to adjust the front sight. You can just use the tip of a bullet; it was designed that way.

Edited to add: I just saw your last post; just push down the detent then (while maintaining downward pressure) move the bullet tip the direction you want the post to rotate. If it doesn't rotate smoothly, a little CLP might help.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I fired 350 rounds at a 3 gun match today.........about 200 from an AR........NOT 1 MALFUNCTION!

Rocking & Rolling!!!!

Awesome!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cool, it's an excellent gun. Congrats!

Also, you DID have sonthing to adjust the front sight. You can just use the tip of a bullet; it was designed that way.

Edited to add: I just saw your last post; just push down the detent then (while maintaining downward pressure) move the bullet tip the direction you want the post to rotate. If it doesn't rotate smoothly, a little CLP might help.

Just before I read your explanation I figured it out. Thanks though. I might have figured it out at the range, but we only had an hour and I was having too much fun to care. I'll use that at next week's shoot. Those computers and scanners won't know what hit them!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.  Nothing like a little advanced firepower to get the blood heated.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Double - Tap.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Say goodbye to that lovely thing called money my friend.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations - I am on AR15 number 3 - and probably 4-5 by the years end at this rate - it is an addiction - enjoy.............
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Every one who has fired my AR wants one, got a friend who wants me to build him one.

FREAKING ADDICTING!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I know how you feel. The first time I assembled my AR and took it to the range, everyone just stared at me while I burned through 4 mags, it was awesome. It was one of the most fun expiriences I've ever had not relating to females or alcohol. When everyone heard about how much it cost me to build(they think they all cost over $1000) They shit themselves, and by the next 3 months, 4 more people at the range had built them. The AR disease spreads faster than zombie's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I know how you feel. The first time I assembled my AR and took it to the range, everyone just stared at me while I burned through 4 mags, it was awesome. It was one of the most fun expiriences I've ever had not relating to females or alcohol. When everyone heard about how much it cost me to build(they think they all cost over $1000) They shit themselves, and by the next 3 months, 4 more people at the range had built them. The AR disease spreads faster than zombie's.

Yeah there was a guy at the range who just bought an AR. The way he made it sound, I think it was used. He said he paid a little over $1000 for a Bushy 16" with some scope and 6 mags. I made mine for about $850 buying from various places on the EE.

Another thing I noticed he had was a AK muzzle brake. Everytime he fired a little fireball came out. I then looked at mine when my friend fired it. Not a thing came from the barrel with the Phantom hider on it. I think me and this gun are gonna get along just fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel sorry for your wallet

Welcome to the addiction

Have you tried a 1911 yet?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I feel sorry for your wallet

Welcome to the addiction

Have you tried a 1911 yet?

I have always wanted to try a 1911. That is in the top 3 on my to-get list for pistols. I don't really care who makes it, I just want to shoot one.

I actually had an interesting conversation with a security guard last night. He was explaining some Kimber custom 1911 and how good it was right out of the box. I'll have to look into one soon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Kimber is over priced for what ya get.  Go with a Springfield 1911.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to the dark side.   Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
You have just enough time to get the word out to everyone that all you want for Christmas is AMMO!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Aint building your own rifle a kick in the ass.  Congrats, have fun with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to see that upper is working for you Drew  It was a true virgin before you got it.  The 6-8" may be the hold, which should be a pretty pronounced 6 o'clock.  It also may be the BUIS or carry handle depending.  As long as the thing is OK vertically, you're in good shape.  I will be replacing that one in a couple months, but I'm glad it went to a good home.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
great!

now get more ammo and ARs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top